Carucci: Disconnect exists between DL and scheme

YoloinOhio

Like Dareus said, you can't sack a garbage can in less than 2 seconds.

Anyway, forcing teams to do that is a victory right off the bat.

GO BILLS!!!

Now you are talking! Folks need to realize what the Defense is forcing smart QB Offenses to do. Still some tweaking to respond defensively but i would not toss the baby out by any means. This why they let the DTs fall back into the short areas. its the proper response.

any one notice how busy Manning was redirecting? When the Bills counter that correctly, and execute ( simpler than said of course ) its should get interesting indeed. and maybe more fun for us fans?

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If people would get past Rex antics and actually listen to what he is saying

When he was asked about the approach teams are taking his response was "let them do it.....we WANT them to do it........they are not taking shots down the field with that kind of offense"

Eventually when our offense gets up on the opposing team they will be FORCED out of that offense

Your point seems to be you don't want who you perceive to be not athletic enough to drop back off the LOS in zone blitzes.

You can't say you want Rex to return to his mainstay defense and at the same time decry his use of zone blitzes. It's been a staple since his days in Baltimore.

We've seen his overload blitzes and I think we'll see more with the return of a healthy Williams playing with Graham at the safety spots.

As to when they rush three, can you tell me what the game situation was at the time? There's usually a method to the madness, not the least of which is showing something in a game to set up something else later on.

GO BILLS!!!

GO BILLS!!!

What I think most fans are missing is Ryan is not using his overload blitzing as much as he has in the past. Against the Colts where it looked like the Bills blitzed a lot. In fact they only blitzed 30 of 53 drop backs, and managed only 11 QB pressures. It was the strong coverage by the Bills secondary that Luck had the most trouble with.

Vic Carucci in his article talks about the players saying there is a disconnect with Ryan's current scheme, and even they are saying that they would prefer to just pass rush more.

I really don't want to hear about how we need to rebuild the D to make the playoffs. We have the talent now. Rex was handed the keys to a top-4 D and good players were added. If he can't figure out how to drive it, that's really on him.

What I think most fans are missing is Ryan is not using his overload blitzing as much as he has in the past. Against the Colts where it looked like the Bills blitzed a lot. In fact they only blitzed 30 of 53 drop backs, and managed only 11 QB pressures. It was the strong coverage by the Bills secondary that Luck had the most trouble with.

Vic Carucci in his article talks about the players saying there is a disconnect with Ryan's current scheme, and even they are saying that they would prefer to just pass rush more.

ONLY 30 out of 53? Really? A 60% blitz rate and you think that's not enough? I don't know how to respond to that, except to say I am confident you'll find it's well, well above the average.

And those players with the disconnect, are they the same ones back in preseason who were lauding the scheme because of all the flexibility it offered in pressuring the QB?

I think we are talking past each other at this point.

GO BILLS!!!

I remember Preston Brown saying on the Murph show that they keep adding new defenses and lineups to learn each week. He wasn't complaining mind, you. It just seems to reinforce a lot of the missed assignments and confused play we are watching.

Hopefully in a few weeks the defense is mastered and our players execute it. Otherwise it may have to be simplified like last year- it is possible that the rest of the league has caught up with Rex's system and he need to change it

from Andy Benoit's analysis yesterday, he said the Bills believe KW to be one of the most exceptional athletes on the team. They move him around based on what he has the ability to do. He just happens to be a big body.

He is. Remember the swimming contest vs. Marshawn Lynch? And whenever a player is asked "who is the best....." (golfer, bball player, name the sport) on the team, the answer seems to be "Kyle"

ONLY 30 out of 53? Really? A 60% blitz rate and you think that's not enough? I don't know how to respond to that, except to say I am confident you'll find it's well, well above the average.

And those players with the disconnect, are they the same ones back in preseason who were lauding the scheme because of all the flexibility it offered in pressuring the QB?

I think we are talking past each other at this point.

GO BILLS!!!

Only 11 pressures out of the 30 blitzes was the larger point that was overlooked.

Perhaps this was also missed,

" As far as Dareus is concerned, simpler is better. He has felt that since training camp, when he complained publicly about not seeing eye-to-eye with how he was being coached.

“We play better up front when they just let us go,” Dareus said Wednesday. “... Now we have more responsibilities and more things going here and there. It’s just playing inside the defense and playing under control, so that the blitzing schemes and everything fit perfectly."

Yea, I agree. It makes little sense to keep discussing this...

What W G is putting forth is isolated. and possibly out of context ?

" quotes from Kyle and Dareus saying that they are not playing in ways that favor their natural talents and instincts"

Man, I hope you're right and that the player quotes in the Carucci article are isolated and out of context. Definitely possible as I've seen nothing similar from these or other players anywhere else. I'm on board the Rex train and I hope the defense is too.

Only 11 pressures out of the 30 blitzes was the larger point that was overlooked.

Perhaps this was also missed,

" As far as Dareus is concerned, simpler is better. He has felt that since training camp, when he complained publicly about not seeing eye-to-eye with how he was being coached.

“We play better up front when they just let us go,” Dareus said Wednesday. “... Now we have more responsibilities and more things going here and there. It’s just playing inside the defense and playing under control, so that the blitzing schemes and everything fit perfectly."

Yea, I agree. It makes little sense to keep discussing this...

So now the assertion is that 11 hurries in a game is somehow poor? I disagree. The league leader in team hurries averages 8 a game. By that metric, 11 hurries in a game is phenomenal.

As for Dareus, let's see what kind of tune he's singing once everyone is on the same page. This scheme has the potential to make him even better than he is.

GO BILLS!!!

I saw something while watching the game and I wonder if anybody has saw this in the All-22...

Bradham and Gilmore both lined up in front of a WR. As soon as the ball was snapped, Bradham chipped him and then ran toward the center of the field to fulfill his normal LB duties, and Gilmore then covered the WR. This move disrupts the timing on the quick throw, and lets Gilmore keep his eyes on the play so he can respond accordingly. If Gilmore chipped the WR, he could end up out of position to cover him. I don't know if this was just done once, or did it happen more often. Is it a good idea, or does it just result in having Bradham out of position.

So now the assertion is that 11 hurries in a game is somehow poor? I disagree. The league leader in team hurries averages 8 a game. By that metric, 11 hurries in a game is phenomenal.

As for Dareus, let's see what kind of tune he's singing once everyone is on the same page. This scheme has the potential to make him even better than he is.

GO BILLS!!!

Those 11 hurries were for the entire team, and not one player. Just FYI, in four games played. Jerry Hughes 5 hurries-Mario Williams 4 hurries-Marcell Dareus 3 hurries- Kyle Williams 2. That's 14 hurries for arguably the leagues best D line. To put that in context KC LBer Justin Houston has fourteen by himself after four games so far this year.

The bigger point is, and that I've been attempting to covey is that the Bills have some of the very best defensive line players in the NFL, and they themselves are saying that they are not happy with the current scheme! They say they would prefer to just rush the passer.

I happen to agree with them as I would like to see the Bills just blitz that front four more often, and have Ryan run his overload blitz more often too. Dunno why this continues to elude you.

I can see the animosity growing with the quibbling over minor things, and I doubt that anything I post will ever get through. So...

Go Bills!

Edited by Nihilarian

Those 11 hurries were for the entire team, and not one player. Just FYI, in four games played. Jerry Hughes 5 hurries-Mario Williams 4 hurries-Marcell Dareus 3 hurries- Kyle Williams 2. That's 14 hurries for arguably the leagues best D line. To put that in context KC LBer Justin Houston has fourteen by himself after four games so far this year.

The bigger point is, and that I've been attempting to covey is that the Bills have some of the very best defensive line players in the NFL, and they themselves are saying that they are not happy with the current scheme! They say they would prefer to just rush the passer.

I happen to agree with them as I would like to see the Bills just blitz that front four more often, and have Ryan run his overload blitz more often too. Dunno why this continues to elude you.

I can see the animosity growing with the quibbling over minor things, and I doubt that anything I post will ever get through. So...

Go Bills!

Yes, and as I said, the leading "team" in hurries has 32 in four games for an everage of eight. No matter how you slice it, 11 hurries in a single game is damned good.

There is absolutely no animosity on my part. I just don't agree with your views on the zone blitz, the imagined lack of pressure (we are still a top ten team in that stat even with QBs getting rid of the ball so quickly), and the idea that this defense has regressed when a closer look reveals it is slightly worse than last years in terms of gross yards after four games, but better in terms of yards per pass against, QB rating against, rush yards per carry. I mention those three because they are much more important metrics to measure a team's defensive performance.

And I just can't get too concerned about anything Dareus says about anything at this point. Can we at least see what he has to say after they've been in the system a bit longer? Is that fair?

GO BILLS!!!

There is absolutely no animosity on my part. I just don't agree with your views on the zone blitz, the imagined lack of pressure (we are still a top ten team in that stat even with QBs getting rid of the ball so quickly), and the idea that this defense has regressed when a closer look reveals it is slightly worse than last years in terms of gross yards after four games, but better in terms of yards per pass against, QB rating against, rush yards per carry. I mention those three because they are much more important metrics to measure a team's defensive performance.

The defensive stat that is most tightly correlated to winning is points scored against. How are we doing there vs. last year?

I think the usefulness of QB rating (QBR and rating) has been beaten to death elsewhere. I'll just comment that it turns out overall yards given up is not particularly correlated to winning (either way - lots of yds or little). Two of the statistics you cite are examples of why: If teams are discovering that the Bills are suceptible to short quick passes, then our YPP statistic would be lower, but that would reflect the strategy employed by our opponents, rather than improvement in D. Likewise, we might have a great rush yards per carry stat, but if it reflects the fact that teams are finding us porous against the short quick pass, does that really mean too much?

As far as concern or lack of concern for what Dareus or other players say, sure, we'll wait and see. What else can we do?

Edited by Hopeful

I just have this one nagging thought i cant square....... if there's nothing you can do about a QB getting the ball out fast.....then why invest so heavily in the D line? But then I see Denver's D and I see people putting heat on the QB. To me Rex needs to junk the zone crap and just go after the other teams QB.....relentlessly.

This defensive coaching staff has had multiple playoff and Superbowl defensive lines so I think I will look for the players to learn the complex scheme in a reasonable time frame and judge the success with wins, not individual stats.

I think both coaching and the players are going to adjust. Rex does move things around to play to a player's strengh. I think after the coaching gets a better idea about this group, coaching will adjust too.