A day later, Rex changes tune on approach to penalties

YoloinOhio

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He clearly engaged him at the waist and continued downward to the feet. Richie should just stay upright, but at that point in the game he's tired and a little sloppy.

He continued downward because the guy was going backward. In fact, the guy never left his feet. Chop blocks are generally directed toward the knees, and are considered dirty because somebody inevitably gets hurt. No chance of that on this play. Just a double team. Good play, in fact, by Incognito.

That was very weak - almost non-existent you might say. The cut block call on Richie was quite literally non-existent. He clearly engaged him above the waist.

My problem with the call is the referee who called it looked like he wasn't in a position to see it. He was on the other side of Glenn and I think TT may have been obstructing his view too. Even from the optimal angle the replay provided it was iffy.

what the hell does that quote mean? it doesn't sound like he's seeking advice on how to discipline his team, or even on how to approach the discussion of discipline with his team.

this sounds like he's seeking advice on how far his players can go when dishing out verbal and physical abuse on refs and opponents during games.

Rex never owns up to his deficiencies as a coach, which is why he repeats the same mistakes over and over.. i could care less about this guy, except now he's calling the shots for my team.

"Our job is not to try to correct an issue we see or something we think and fix it ourselves. We can't do it. You have to line up the next play and do your job." ~ Ryan

When you're players are embarrassing themselves and their uniform, it's your damn job to correct that - right then, right there.. yank the guy, before he causes more problems FOR THE TEAM!

players should be free to express themselves TO THE COACH ON THE SIDELINE, period.. anything else buys a seat on the bench, or a shower.

Edited by BackInDaDay

RIght now they need to address it by not being dumbasses. Reduce the dumbassed behavior and over time--and only time--the Bills will not be scrutinzed for their on-field antics.

Hate Brady and Belechik all you want and god knows we all do, they take their penalties and move on. Jerry Hughes and Nigel Bradham could have been ejected yesterday and I would not have been shocked. On top of that, Ryan should have benched them both. Send a message instead of just staring out onto the field.

This. I couldn't believe he didn't bench Hughes. At a certain point you have to take a stand and let players know that there are consequences for acting like complete idiots after the play is over. This is one of the more frustrating games I can remember watching.

Rex needs to rip into this team regarding the personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct.. its getting to be embarrassing.

Some of you older fans may recall that his father was quite the big mouth when he coached in Philly....again, lots of fluff, not much substance.....He made the playoff's three years in a row and lost all three.....

This. I couldn't believe he didn't bench Hughes. At a certain point you have to take a stand and let players know that there are consequences for acting like complete idiots after the play is over. This is one of the more frustrating games I can remember watching.

Rex needs to rip into this team regarding the personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct.. its getting to be embarrassing.

wasnt he benched last year for this in Denver supposedly by Pepper Johnson (the game Marrone said he didn't know he wasn't out there)

It's not like Hughes's absence would have been noticed.

Thing is, Rex seems to think it's not a huge deal because it shows they have heart. What it truly shows is they're mentally lazy. Rex is trying to build a bully. I much prefer the Giants' version Sunday than ours.

My problem with the call is the referee who called it looked like he wasn't in a position to see it. He was on the other side of Glenn and I think TT may have been obstructing his view too. Even from the optimal angle the replay provided it was iffy.

That's my biggest beef as well. Too many times yesterday the flag came from long distance by a guy who had a poor look at the play due his positioning.

If the officials aren't going to get in position to call the game correctly then they should keep the flags in their pocket and not try to guess what happened...

embarrassing is watching the refs take away 2 TD's on total BS calls. Ryan should have called out the Refs in the post-game presser. So many BS, ticky-tacky calls on the Bills, and totally BLOWN calls on the Giants (horse-collar on Woods, PI on Clay during the fumble/interception).

That's my biggest beef as well. Too many times yesterday the flag came from long distance by a guy who had a poor look at the play due his positioning.

If the officials aren't going to get in position to call the game correctly then they should keep the flags in their pocket and not try to guess what happened...

I think NFL refs are getting paid by how many flags they throw this year. They are bad all around, not just to the Bills, but seem to "take over" nearly every game, and then miss calling actual penalties.

Thing is, Rex seems to think it's not a huge deal because it shows they have heart. What it truly shows is they're mentally lazy. Rex is trying to build a bully. I much prefer the Giants' version Sunday than ours.

Well, much easier to win and stay level-headed when the Refs are not taking 2 TD's away from you, letting you commit PI, a horse-collar, and calling most of the penalties on the other team.

What people fail to realize is that coaches after to go back and go over game film before answering some questions presented by the media......

Never understood grilling a coach RIGHT after a game.

Logical in general. But if he had to go back to the tape to discuss the penalty situation yesterday he should retire immediately.

Rex is going to be Rex...It is what it is and something we all...myself included...should have realized when he was hired...After all, he almost immediately decided to change the #4 Defense in the NFL in order to bring in his system and his DC...That should have been our first clue...I'm guessing just about any other HC would have begged Schwartz to come back...I mean literally begged...I think I know Rex well enough now to know he did not beg... ;)

I'm happy to see a more pragmatic approach by Rex the day after the game emotions have subsided. That's a lot more encouraging than had he refused to address the issue.

Except he never refused to address the issue. He said they will get it fixed here . Apparently many folks just weren't listening and heard what they wanted to. He simply refused to throw his guys under the bus to the media hounds.

Well, much easier to win and stay level-headed when the Refs are not taking 2 TD's away from you, letting you commit PI, a horse-collar, and calling most of the penalties on the other team.

Until our team learns to control and focus their emotions this will continue. You think the refs are going to be level-headed when there's some out of control children who may instigate a fight?