A day later, Rex changes tune on approach to penalties

YoloinOhio

*warning* Rodak article

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/21321/rex-ryan-changes-tune-on-bills-penalties-reaches-out-for-advice

Rex Ryan changes tune on Bills' penalties, reaches out for advice

"I talked to a bunch to some of the veteran coaches on the staff. I've talked to some coaches around the league. I've put calls into the league itself. So we're trying to do things. I'm not going to share with some of the things we're going to do physically and everything else, until I have a chance to address my team."

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For half the penalties called on the Bills, I can find an example of the same thing not called on another team in another game.

Don't know how Ryan's going to address that. The Bills have to play like choir boys to appease the refs.

For half the penalties called on the Bills, I can find an example of the same thing not called on another team in another game.

Don't know how Ryan's going to address that. The Bills have to play like choir boys to appease the refs.

I second this.

Could be when you are a known frequent offender you lose the benefit of doubt. actually surprised #94 wasn't flagged for throwing that running back upside down. Nice play though.

No question that penalties are just KILLING us, particularly offensive line penalties (although we have had some very bad defensive secondary penalties too) Not being cynical but the offensive line holding calls may have something to do with some of our O-linemen just not being very good. Hard to coach height, speed or talent.

I'm not too optimistic about that part of the process and suspect it will involve tinkering with the entire offensive scheme to compensate for the poor o-line play.

Like the horse collar penalty called in the Denver game? There was a similar play that could have been called against the Giants. I don't recall who the recipient was, maybe Woods?

I understand Rexs "proud" comment, he is proud that his team isnt just taking crap from other teams and are standing up for themselves and getting mad about it. Problem is by doing that they are then hurting the team more then if they just shrugged it off and walked away and possibly get called soft. Rex wanted this team to be bullies, problem is bullies are usually fairly dumb and do dumb things to look tough

RIght now they need to address it by not being dumbasses. Reduce the dumbassed behavior and over time--and only time--the Bills will not be scrutinzed for their on-field antics.

Hate Brady and Belechik all you want and god knows we all do, they take their penalties and move on. Jerry Hughes and Nigel Bradham could have been ejected yesterday and I would not have been shocked. On top of that, Ryan should have benched them both. Send a message instead of just staring out onto the field.

I understand Rexs "proud" comment, he is proud that his team isnt just taking crap from other teams and are standing up for themselves and getting mad about it. Problem is by doing that they are then hurting the team more then if they just shrugged it off and walked away and possibly get called soft. Rex wanted this team to be bullies, problem is bullies are usually fairly dumb and do dumb things to look tough

I took it to mean (just how I personally interpreted it) that he was proud of them for not laying down and getting blown out but for continuing to "fight" until the end. I didn't think he meant "fight" literally (though both teams took their shots with OBJ throwing a punch) because he said the same thing after the Pats* game. But with the emotion came the penalties, which he didn't like, but was trying to say he was proud of them for caring so much and not saying "oh well, its just not our day" and packing it in. I may not have said that well but that's kind of what I took from it.

Edited by YoloinOhio

That call on Urbik on the Taylor TD run was really weak.

You mean you haven't seen personal fouls called on other teams for patting their teammates on the helmet for good plays??

Always thought Rex was all show. Didn't like him coming to Buffalo. Kind of changed my mind threw camp and preseason. Now I'm back to my first impressions. He can't control his team. They run the show . Not the coach. He might be a players coach but that doesn't win games and doesn't give you job security.

That call on Urbik on the Taylor TD run was really weak.

That was very weak - almost non-existent you might say. The cut block call on Richie was quite literally non-existent. He clearly engaged him above the waist.

That was very weak - almost non-existent you might say. The cut block call on Richie was quite literally non-existent. He clearly engaged him above the waist.

He clearly engaged him at the waist and continued downward to the feet. Richie should just stay upright, but at that point in the game he's tired and a little sloppy.