The elephant in the room.....

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's be serious fellow fans. This defense is monumentally worse than last year. It is baffling to say the least. Someone tell me I'm wrong here, but QB pressure is ridiculously lacking.

teams will continue to get to the line quickly and spread us out until our LBs and DBs can execute coordinated coverage schemes without blowing assignments - specifically our safeties. opposing coaches are getting the personnel matchups they're looking for. and their opposing QBs are finding our mistakes. until Rex shores that up, his pressure packages that borrow men from coverage, won't get home. we haven't seen Kyle covering a RB on a wheel yet, but i'm kinda expecting it. :rolleyes: just kidding.. it shouldn't get that bad.. but Rex really has to examine what he can do with this group right now, and adjust. i think he did a real good job last week and a decent job this week - until the wheels fell off in the 4th.. but that's his MO.. he's got to get his guys to tough it out and play consistant, focused football for 4 quarters when the opponent fights back

The way we're playing right now we're a middle of the pick defense. Our secondary is not as good as we all hoped going into the season.

The biggest thing is penalties..from A Williams, to P Brown to N Bradham, to J Hughes....these guys are lacking discipline and it has now cost us two games we really could have won if you eliminate the bone head plays.

I don't know what Rex is doing but he is really ignorant of a glaring weakness of this team.

Also, the clock management at the end of the game was Purtrid. With two minutes left we should have been running to the line and clocking the ball to preserve time. It's inexcusable that we ended up burning our time outs. You go from having the ability of forcing a 3 and out vs relying on the recovery of an onsides kick, a play that is only successful about 15%of the time...

Even if we scored a touchdown at the end we put ourselves in a losing position

Watching Denver I'm seeing what we were supposed to see here..

That defense takes over and closes down games... That DL was in on the QB non stop

I'm worried...

Rex had his best defenses with top notch corners, lbers and safeties

He never really had a monster dl

Edited by TheFunPolice

Watching Denver I'm seeing what we were supposed to see here..

That defense takes over and closes down games... That DL was in on the QB non stop

I'm worried...

Rex had his best defenses with top notch corners, lbers and safeties

He never really had a monster dl

i like our chances against any team that doesn't field a QB capable of recognizing where our pressure is coming from, and what we're exposing in order to bring it. Rex can coach D, but you're right about the need for his coverage people to be on the same page.. if that was your point. :thumbsup:

Hey Rex I love that you are trying to build a team and love the city but Schwartz's defense last year was way better more pressure more turnovers and most of all a lot more disapline which is weird as I thought we took a lot of stupid penalties last year. That said can I suggest you take your defensive mastermind self back into the film room and look at what worked last year.

Wondering this myself. Could it be that our D Line was better fit for Schwartz game plans than Rex's?

Hey Rex I love that you are trying to build a team and love the city but Schwartz's defense last year was way better more pressure more turnovers and most of all a lot more disapline which is weird as I thought we took a lot of stupid penalties last year. That said can I suggest you take your defensive mastermind self back into the film room and look at what worked last year.

They are often confused about their assignments and that leads to tentative and slow play.

They need to get that front four back in the starting blocks and cut them loose.

Far too much talent to perform like this.

I was so excited to see what Rex could do with our pass rush because he's never had pass rushers like ours. But now I see why, his scheming his defense creates pass rush, he hasn't needed talented pass rushers. He needs talented cover corners to give the pass rushers time to get there. He has the opposite now and if we play an elite QB we are screwed because they can kill us with a quick passing game to nullify our pass rush. So excited for nothing.

*cosigns

They are often confused about their assignments and that leads to tentative and slow play.

They need to get that front four back in the starting blocks and cut them loose.

Far too much talent to perform like this.

Teams have adjusted to our talented d-line by making the first read and the quick throw. Both Brady and Eli are experienced qbs who know where to go with the ball and don't hesitiate. The quick release passes have countered our talented rushers.

Teams have adjusted to our talented d-line by making the first read and the quick throw. Both Brady and Eli are experienced qbs who know where to go with the ball and don't hesitiate. The quick release passes have countered our talented rushers.

True, against this Rex Ryan defense.

But the wide-9 was so valuable to these guys because it fractured the O-line and caused wider splits and opportunities to disengage using that space.

You can still try to dump the ball out early but the wider splits are harder for the QB to keep in his field of view and instead of the edges being clear passing lanes on both sides, as they are now, you are forced to throw over DE's or thru windows between the line....which can be disconcerting and lead to tips, overthrows, inaccuracy,

What they are doing now is just creating pitch and catch situations with little obstruction.

I was not a big fan of the wide-9 coming in last year because it's history says it only works when you have great talent on the DL......but the Bills do.....it's their team strength.

Rex is negating their physical advantage at the LOS.

teams will continue to get to the line quickly and spread us out until our LBs and DBs can execute coordinated coverage schemes without blowing assignments - specifically our safeties. opposing coaches are getting the personnel matchups they're looking for. and their opposing QBs are finding our mistakes. until Rex shores that up, his pressure packages that borrow men from coverage, won't get home. we haven't seen Kyle covering a RB on a wheel yet, but i'm kinda expecting it. :rolleyes: just kidding.. it shouldn't get that bad.. but Rex really has to examine what he can do with this group right now, and adjust. i think he did a real good job last week and a decent job this week - until the wheels fell off in the 4th.. but that's his MO.. he's got to get his guys to tough it out and play consistant, focused football for 4 quarters when the opponent fights back

Agree entirely. I alluded to the Brady 'blue print' in another thread and it was plain to see that Manning borrowed that page today. He found favorable matchups, went to quicker pace no-huddle and hurt us with it. Several times, we were clearly NOT ready for the snap.

Again, coaching.

GO BILLS!!!

Good post, certainly a big part of it. Teams are going to just keep playing hurry up as we watch a Bills team scramble to figure out what they should be doing. Pressure doesn't arrive, more stress on coverage, blown assignments. Pretty much the story of the defense so far. Any team that doesn't speed things up at this point is making a big mistake. Lot's of communication problems right now. I don;t think the players feel like they can play, too much thinking.

Last season, before Rex became coach, I told my brother in law (big JETS fan) that Rex and Rob Ryan both need to disappear from the NFL.

I'm sticking with that statment even after he became our coach. The guy is the same old clown in a different town. They lead the NFL in penalties and he's proud of them? WTF is the guy smoking.

Its going to be a bumpy ride folks.

Edited by Azucho98

I completely agree, I think we need to stop blitzing all the time and do what we did last year like you said. We keep getting burned on short quick passes.