Another Mass Shooting!, This Time in Oregon

Actually all countries face the same problems. Some face worst problems like terrorists taking control of their city.

Sorry, but that's not even close to being correct. (Unless you're defining "problems" differently than I am.)

I live in New Zealand, where even the police don't carry guns, and a mass-shooting, or terrorism are the LAST things on anyone's minds.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, but that's not even close to being correct. (Unless you're defining "problems" differently than I am.)

I live in New Zealand, where even the police don't carry guns, and a mass-shooting, or terrorism are the LAST things on anyone's minds.

You mean like Norway?

Edited by 4merper4mer

We need a change in culture.

We need more comprehensive social safety nets (healthcare in this case)

We need a better handle on gun availability.

Basically nothing is gonna change, all three of these things are impossible to accomplish in our current political atmosphere.

Edited by Dorkington

How long till obama uses this tragedy for political gain to push his anti gun agenda? Cuomo are you there?

The victims and their families are in my prayers. RIP

NY Post says shooter singled out Christians during his rampage:

http://nypost.com/2015/10/01/oregon-gunman-singled-out-christians-during-rampage/

What flag gets banned this time?

Damn that Intarweb for giving people bad ideas like shooting sprees and rooting for the Buffalo Bills

Or some smart ass kids loading up a squirt gun with watered down Nair. Not that I would have ever tried something like that in my youth 0:)

Holy **** this is the first I had seen it reported that he specifically targeted Christians. Well that all but assures the left and obama will remain silent on this issue. Can you imagine if he was targeting muslims? Blacks? Gays? Ugh the media and obama would lose their minds.

A tragedy is a tragedy. Period.

The lens it is covered through varies depending on who's agenda stands to benefit. Disgusting.

This is a very sad story.

Edited by drinkTHEkoolaid

Ten people dead and you people are making jokes

Serenity now.....Seremity now.

Here is my take on the issue. There tends to be a common thread with these events. They are committed by people and typically people with some sort of mental illness and they often give lots of online clues as to their intentions. This guy had pics online with guns and talking about a fascination with other mass shootings. So we can scan everything online regarding people with potential terrorist activity which probably has done a lot to prevent terrorist attacks here. But we, for some reason, can't keep tabs on people with known mental illnesses.

Stricter gun laws would help a bit but if someone with a known mental illness or desire to kill will find the means to do so and often give lots of clues as to their intentions way before they move forward with them. We need to lock these people up.

Edited by Chef Jim

Serenity now.....Seremity now.

Here is my take on the issue. There tends to be a common thread with these events. They are committed by people and typically people with some sort of mental illness and they often give lots of online clues as to their intentions. This guy had pics online with guns and talking about a fascination with other mass shootings. So we can scan everything online regarding people with potential terrorist activity which probably has done a lot to prevent terrorist attacks here. But we, for some reason, can't keep tabs on people with known mental illnesses.

Stricter gun laws would help a bit but if someone with a known mental illness or desire to kill will find the means to do so and often give lots of clues as to their intentions way before they move forward with them. We need to lock these people up.

Great post. A few questions. What do we define as mental illness, and what levels of MI are labeled high risk to violent behavior? Do patients have a right to privacy regarding their condition? Do we want national security agencies monitoring all citizens communications to identify potential security risks?

I really don't care about guns, one way or the other. Obviously some of you do, and I respect your opinions. But there is credible research showing a strong statistical correlation between mass shootings and gun ownership.

It's a Constitutional right to own guns so it really doesn't matter. It's the law. Other things to prevent mass shootings must be investigated. Mental health. The overexposure by the media when this kind of things happen. Just think, if the media didn't even cover it none of these idiots would do it. Being losers they crave the worlds attention and this is a way to achieve that.

Great post. A few questions. What do we define as mental illness, and what levels of MI are labeled high risk to violent behavior? Do patients have a right to privacy regarding their condition? Do we want national security agencies monitoring all citizens communications to identify potential security risks?

To further that point....

I know of someone will not seek treatment for depression for fear of ending up in a database and having his guns confiscated.

Think of how deep the root cause to that problem goes.

Krauthammer’s Take: Obama’s ‘100 Percent Knee Jerk Reaction’ Came ‘When Bodies Still Warm’
Is Yesterday’s Awful Shooting Really Such a Mystery?
by Jim Geraghty
Does the Media Encourage Mass Shootings?
By Mona Charon

Just horrible.

Now idiots from both sides of the gun issue will try to make this their most recent political issue.

Actually, there is only one idiot side that will make this a gun issue, usually and predictably before they really know what happened.

Ten people dead and you people are making jokes

Says the guy who thought four dead Americans in Benghazi was funny, and likes to throw used condoms at women.

Nice try, Scooter.

"Well regulated..."

I will continue to post this link in every one of these threads.

Cudos to the local sheriff for not naming the shooter.

That was an interesting read. Yes, probably part of the problem

Says the guy who thought four dead Americans in Benghazi was funny, and likes to throw used condoms at women.

Nice try, Scooter.

Actually I was laughing at the spin Republicans were giving the story and as the next probable speaker of the House admitted on Hannity that it was a political spin, I was right

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2015/10/01/kevin_mccarthys_truthful_gaffe_128271.html

Define that as the FF intended.

That's a tough one. Not sure I can. Only amendment to mention heavy regulation, though. And its the gun amendment ;)

What's you take on it? Oh ya, you never have a take on anything, you just ask pointless questions

In the last two weekends in Chicago, 98 people were shot and 13 people were killed. Not a peep from Obama about any of it.

It doesn't fit the Narrative.

Nor will we here a peep from the administration about this being a "hate crime"