Another Mass Shooting!, This Time in Oregon

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one of the articles I read pointed out that this campus is a gun-free zone.....sad

https://web.archive.org/web/20150316175339/http://umpqua.edu/safety-security-information

"Possession, use, or threatened use of firearms (including but not limited to BB guns, air guns, water pistols, and paint guns) ammunition, explosives, dangerous chemicals, or any other objects as weapons on college property, except as expressly authorized by law or college regulations, is prohibited."

https://web.archive.org/web/20150316175339/http://umpqua.edu/safety-security-information

"Possession, use, or threatened use of firearms (including but not limited to BB guns, air guns, water pistols, and paint guns) ammunition, explosives, dangerous chemicals, or any other objects as weapons on college property, except as expressly authorized by law or college regulations, is prohibited."

Water pistols. :huh:

one of the articles I read pointed out that this campus is a gun-free zone.....sad

They probably needed a bigger sign.

Water pistols. :huh:

The Boy Scouts recently banned a number of items now considered weapons including, I kid you not...water balloons.

The Boy Scouts recently banned a number of items now considered weapons including, I kid you not...water balloons.

If water balloons are considered weapons some of the things we threw at each other as kids would be considered WMD's today.

NY Post says shooter singled out Christians during his rampage:

http://nypost.com/2015/10/01/oregon-gunman-singled-out-christians-during-rampage/

What flag gets banned this time?

this story is messed up...shooter is allegedly from midwest, no known connections to the school(yet), talked about the incident in a chat room and was egged on and encouraged by others in the chat room. such a shame

Damn that Intarweb for giving people bad ideas like shooting sprees and rooting for the Buffalo Bills

And dangerous chemicals.

Because you might be carrying a water pistol full of bleach, and if they catch you you're in for a REALLY strong talking-to.

Or some smart ass kids loading up a squirt gun with watered down Nair. Not that I would have ever tried something like that in my youth 0:)

As someone who was totally ambivalent re guns, I see another mass shooting and it sways me to extreme gun control.

No other country in the world has this same problem.

Actually all countries face the same problems. Some face worst problems like terrorists taking control of their city. Edited by Beef Jerky

As someone who was totally ambivalent re guns, I see another mass shooting and it sways me to extreme gun control.

As someone who grew up around guns (my father was a cop) I see another mass shooting and it always sways me to wonder why so many asshats are so quick to lay blame on an inanimate object.

Steel

Aluminum

Plastic

Wood

This is what people fear

Unless the problem you're referring to is round-the-clock salacious coverage, then yes they do.

That took two minutes on Google to figure out.

I really don't care about guns, one way or the other. Obviously some of you do, and I respect your opinions. But there is credible research showing a strong statistical correlation between mass shootings and gun ownership.

The proliferation of guns clearly results in more gun deaths. I'm not sure that is even an issue in a situation like this. Incidents like this, aren't the argument against (or for) guns, IMO. Freaks who want to kill can always get their hands on guns. Yes it is easier in the US than in other countries, but let's be honest here--these idiots can get guns just about anywhere.

The idea that others having guns in these situations is also idiotic, IMO. Maybe someone else with a gun stops this idiot. Maybe they contribute to the killing. But, in general, guns produce gun-related deaths. Many by accident or unintentional use.

The issues are quite complex. My personal belief is one that supports the 2nd amendment, but with some reservations. But to make these horrendous events a political issue, for either side in the gun debate, seems a bit over the top to me. There are real issues, outside of these events, to consider. IMO these everyday issues are more important, and don't rely on the vitriol attached to these kind of events.

Edited by The Dean