Bills starting games with great play calling

YoloinOhio

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-analysis-all-22/2015/10/1/9422997/buffalo-bills-offense-greg-roman-play-calling-opening-drives

For two straight games, Greg Roman has dialed up perfect opening-drive play calls for the Buffalo Bills.

For a second straight week, Buffalo Bills offensive coordinator Greg Roman came up with a great script for the offense to start the game during last week's 41-14 win over Miami.

Even though they lost in Week 2 against New England, the Bills had a perfect start to the game, moving down the field with ease and ending the drive with a touchdown. The Miami game showed the same great planning by the coaching staff. Roman used a combination of play-action, motion, and easy, defined reads for the quarterback to start both games with perfection. Let's look at the Miami plays in a bit more detail.

Roman scripts his first series of plays. just goes to show you how good he is at game planning and that's why he is going to be a HC next year

Night and Day difference with our former OC from the past two years....After Chan, we again have a sensible OC.

First play of the season was a WTF moment, then we looked great. First drive against NE was brilliant and then we immediately out thought ourselves and went 3 and out 3 straight possessions digging a hole we could never get out of. Last week we simply dominated. Hopefully he learned his lesson from that NE game. So refreshing to not see run up the middle, run up the middle, pass 3 yards short of the sticks, punt. Rinse and repeat.

Edited by Mark80

Being a geek like I am, I would be tempted to try to pre-plan every drive for my team if I was offensive coordinator. I would have a series of if-then situations in a computer program that told me "If this happens on that play then I want to run this play next". That sort of thing.

Obviously you couldn't account for every situation. But you could account for the most common or most likely situations that you are going to be presented with.

Maybe there is a guy doing that with a computer somewhere who is talking with Roman on a headphone?

Being a geek like I am, I would be tempted to try to pre-plan every drive for my team if I was offensive coordinator. I would have a series of if-then situations in a computer program that told me "If this happens on that play then I want to run this play next". That sort of thing.

Obviously you couldn't account for every situation. But you could account for the most common or most likely situations that you are going to be presented with.

Maybe there is a guy doing that with a computer somewhere who is talking with Roman on a headphone?

and NE hacked our computer program and knew every play that was coming!

It is so refreshing having an actual NFL offensive coordinator focusing on the task of running an NFL offense. :worthy: Its been so long for us Bills fans!!

2012-13 Marrone brought his OC from Syracuse who had no NFL experience at calling NFL plays or setting up an NFL game plan.

2010-12Gailey was an ex NFL OC but its gotta be extremely difficult to run the entire team, and entire offense at the same time. Both suffered.

2006-2009 Jauron kept hiring newbies after Steve Fairchild left for the college ranks after his two seasons as Bills OC. Then come to find out Fairchild never called the offensive plays in St Louis. Then next it was Turk Schonert promoted from QB coach, and after that it was AVP again promoted from QB coach.

It is so refreshing having an actual NFL offensive coordinator focusing on the task of running an NFL offense. :worthy: Its been so long for us Bills fans!!

2012-13 Marrone brought his OC from Syracuse who had no NFL experience at calling NFL plays or setting up an NFL game plan.

2010-12Gailey was an ex NFL OC but its gotta be extremely difficult to run the entire team, and entire offense at the same time. Both suffered.

2006-2009 Jauron kept hiring newbies after Steve Fairchild left for the college ranks after his two seasons as Bills OC. Then come to find out Fairchild never called the offensive plays in St Louis. Then next it was Turk Schonert promoted from QB coach, and after that it was AVP again promoted from QB coach.

Amen. But you also have to be given the resources to make it work. Thank you Terry and Doug.

Another thing that I believe is that as each week goes by a little more will be installed and the players will become more and more familiar with the offense and will be thinking less and executing better and faster.

Add into that that Tyrod is basically learning all the nuances of being a starting QB week to week, and we haven't been fully healthy yet. There is a real possibility we have only seen the tip of what this offense can be, and it could really be something much better near the end of the regular season.