Best pizza in wny?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's like asking where in Texas is the best barbeque or who is the most attractive woman.

There have been many food discussions previously on this board for wings, pizza, roast beef, etc. Individuals taste for pizza varies so much, it's more of a "place's to try" thread than anything else. Everyone in the Buffalo area lives within a stones throw of a pizzeria, they are everywhere...

Edited by ricojes

Yep. However, I wouldn't completely avoid Hopkins. It can be hit or miss though. I'd say 1 of 5 pies you are like "what the F did they do to this one." Maybe more like 1 in 10. I have said that once or twice about the Bailey location too though. That's just what happens when you use a pizza oven that is not one of those that just is on a conveyor and you have to actually check it and cook it properly using young kids.

In my experience (I worked at both the Hopkins and the Transit location) the Transit location is much superior although of course you'll get superb pizza at ANY Bocces. Best memories of my life working at that Transit store. Even served Scotty Bowman once!

The owner at Transit "Frank" grew up at the Bailey location, he's the son of the original "Frank"

Edited by BoccesOnTransit

Yep. However, I wouldn't completely avoid Hopkins. It can be hit or miss though. I'd say 1 of 5 pies you are like "what the F did they do to this one." Maybe more like 1 in 10. I have said that once or twice about the Bailey location too though. That's just what happens when you use a pizza oven that is not one of those that just is on a conveyor and you have to actually check it and cook it properly using young kids.

Yeah...I don't have to wonder if they're still in the practice of hiring ambitious stoners from our alma mater :lol:

I know. Training is hard.

There have been many food discussions previously on this board for wings, pizza, roast beef, etc. Individuals taste for pizza varies so much, it's more of a "place's to try" thread than anything else. Everyone in the Buffalo area lives within a stones throw of a pizzeria, they are everywhere...

With you brother. :thumbsup:

Batavia's Original (formerly Pontillo's). Favorite place growing up. Good wings too.

Don't know if the recipe is the same since the name change though.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

Margherita

I've been told by people who worked at pizza places that it is, in fact, not margherita but some company out of Ohio that a lot of them use. I didn't catch the name but specifically remember them saying that it was not Margherita. That stuff is the bomb for cheese and crackers though, or just with some fresh italian bread from a baker.

Edit: I found it, it's called Ezzo Supreme Special pepperoni. If you get a pizza with the curled up pepperoni with the delicious puddle of grease in the middle and burnt edges, this is what you are having (although many do use Margherita, that distinct curled up burnt edges puddle of grease is not them). http://ezzo.com/products.html

Amherst Ale House has very good specialty pizza's as well as the traditional cheese and pep. Plus half price large pizza and pitchers of beer during all Sabres games until they win the cup...

Just Pizza (Transit, Williamsville) and Besta (Millersport, Getzville) are very good as well. I always order mine well done, for the nice crispy crust...

Being from around that area I'm a huge fan of them as well. To me, they are the best place to get Pizza and Wings. Some places have better wings, some places have better pizza, but they are an excellent choice if you want to order both.

Edited by Mark80

My personal favorite is Dino's Bocce Club, but you must go to the Bailey location; Hopkins Rd is not as good (same recipe; poor management).

Outstanding sauce, perfect crust, and they make a 12-slice large.

I am in complete agreement with Bandit

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Dino Bocce is the best of the Bocce's no doubt. However, Imperial Pizza on Abbott makes a run for the money here (they are very similar pies).

Growing up in the area around the Bailey Bocce's, it's really hard to find another good pizza place but I thought Leonardi's pizza on Grover Cleveland/Millersport/Longmeadow/Eggert intersection was pretty damn good too.

Bocces by far IMO. Double cheese pizza or cheese and pepperoni. Superb!

I love the bold tomato flavor with the sauce (although on the sweet side). Cupped pepperoni and one of my favorite things is oregano is baked right into the cheese. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. Salavating just thinking about it.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Dino Bocce is the best of the Bocce's no doubt. However, Imperial Pizza on Abbott makes a run for the money here (they are very similar pies).

Growing up in the area around the Bailey Bocce's, it's really hard to find another good pizza place but I thought Leonardi's pizza on Grover Cleveland/Millersport/Longmeadow/Eggert intersection was pretty damn good too.

As you may know Leonardi's is owned by a ex Bocci employee from a long time ago. i think Leonardi's is the inspiration for the t- shirts Bocci employee's were wearing a couple weeks ago when we we ordered there. ""We Never had to change our recipe because it never sucked the first time"

In my experience (I worked at both the Hopkins and the Transit location) the Transit location is much superior although of course you'll get superb pizza at ANY Bocces. Best memories of my life working at that Transit store. Even served Scotty Bowman once!

The owner at Transit "Frank" grew up at the Bailey location, he's the son of the original "Frank"

What brand of tomato paste do they use for their sauce? Their sauce has the most incredible tomato flavor that I have not been able to duplicate.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

There is also a La Haceinda on Brighton. Related? Decent italian that is very modestly priced but never tried their pizza.

The Bob and John's La Hacienda I knew was on Brighton, I think. When I googled it to see if I had it right, it said it was on Hertel. Since I lived off Hertel too, I got a bit confused. But I think the original Bob and John's was on Brighton. But then again, I drink ya know.

Agreed..think most WNY pizza is just awful. LaNova might be the worst dreck of a pizza i have ever had. I will take a Price Club takeout and cook at home everyday over that steaming pile of doo!

As Dean mentioned La Hacienda in the Falls was my favorite growing up. That being said, picked up 3 pies from there about 3 years ago and thought it was bad. Maybe was the fact we did not eat in...

The key is to, if possible, eat it there. Also, the pepperoni is by far their best pie. I always order pizza's well done/crispy. La Hac does a pretty good job with this most of the time. But I let them know, anyway.

My favorite part of Buffalo pizza is the tiny pepperoni that curls into a cup shape. I've never found a place in Syracuse that has that.

As has been already mentioned, the pepperoni is from Ezzo's in Ohio. They have two kinds of small, curl-up pepperoni. For pizza, there is no equal.

We have a guy down here from Buffalo with a pizza place. For years it's been very good. Makes his own sausage. I used to drive 40 minutes each way, just to get the hot Italian sausage. His pepperoni was always weak, though. So I turned him onto Ezzo. Next time I went back, he didn't have the Ezzo's. He said they needed him to buy too much, the shipping was prohibitive, etc.. Now he no longer makes his hot Italian sausage. Last pizza I had there sucked, and his reputation is starting to get bad. People do the dumbest things to screw up a good business.

Funny thing. When I was in SF this spring, I quickly googled the local pizza ratings. Of course, these were a mixture of NY style pizza, real Italian pizza and new-fangled California stuff (yech). While I was in North Beach a few times, I would stop at Tony's Slice House (the take out arm of Tony's Coal Fired Pizza). The place is consistently at, or near, the top of all the ratings. Clearly it was Ezzo's pepperoni and it tasted like a La Hacienda (Niagara Falls) pizza. Great!

What brand of tomato paste do they use for their sauce? Their sauce has the most incredible tomato flavor that I have not been able to duplicate.

Tomato paste? I doubt they use any paste.

I liked Bocce Club at first, and still do a bit. But I eventually got sick of the sauce. Good, in small doses, I suppose. There was a Bocce's offshoot (former partner or employee) on Kenmore (Englewood, maybe?--somewhere near the Main St campus) back in the 70's that was pretty good, too.

In the early 2000's wasn't there a real "Italian-style" pizzeria with a coal or wood burning brick oven? Never had a pie there. Can't remember the name, but always thought I should have had a pizza there.

It sounds like you need to toss in a low bid. Come on, you miss WNY!

:lol: I got several emails about it. It has a full bar, and a good reputation. Only problem is, I have no money or collateral to get that size of a loan. I do have some friends looking into it. I can run it (at least the front of the house---have to hire someone who knows how to run a kitchen), and put in the sweat equity. But unfortunately I'm not in a position to buy it. I'd go back to WNY in a heartbeat.