Rex: It's the players' defense,not the "Rex Ryan" D

YoloinOhio

Rex was interviewed on Mike and Mike this morning. Greeny asked him if this was the best defense he's ever had. He said they were still making a lot of mistakes and there was a long way to go... Didn't really answer the question other than to say there was a lot of talent. He did make it a point to say it's not the "Rex" defense or the Dennis Thurman defense. He said this is the players' defense. MMQB had a blurb today about how he had Corey Graham and Preston Brown lead the defensive meetings last week to enforce this point. I also notice mostly 4-3 (vs 3-4) which shows how personnel driven he is. He talked about being multiple before the season and not a true 3-4 or 4-3 but interesting to see how it's played out so far since I know a lot of fans were concerned about the changes.

@theMMQB: 10 Things @emilymkaplan Thinks: Kaep's job is secure, Jared Allen trade works for everyone, Rex Ryan: Players' Coach. http://t.co/NTKWFXKyqx

Edited by YoloinOhio

that's pretty cool, that's a lot to put on Preston Brown's shoulders as such a young guy but his dad was a football coach so he probably has at least a little bit of that in him. still, that's kind of intimidating to to be asked to be a leader in that room full of pro bowl linemen as a 22 yr old

that's pretty cool, that's a lot to put on Preston Brown's shoulders as such a young guy but his dad was a football coach so he probably has at least a little bit of that in him. still, that's kind of intimidating to to be asked to be a leader in that room full of pro bowl linemen as a 22 yr old

it is a lot, but considering the position he plays it may be natural -- the MLB calls out the plays and tends to fall into that leadership role.

It's interesting living in what is mostly a NYC football market as people here generally think Rex sucks. I know he is still in his honeymoon in B-lo but man does he ever seem to have the ingredients of being an outstanding coach. I think he got burned by the owner and GM in NY.

Look what he has done for this franchise in three games. The really cool thing is that there is still a ton of upside if Whaley and the bean counters keep the core of this roster together over the upcoming years. If Whaley puts together a draft next year that is in the same zip code as the one he had this year the future will look bright indeed.

He really got carried away the week before NE (pretending he didn't know who Dion Lewis was, etc) and you could tell he was mortified at the outcome. Took it really hard. I was worried it would carry over but he was able to bring the team together by saying things started turning around in the 4th qtr of that game and they just needed to keep that going. I liked that angle.

it is a lot, but considering the position he plays it may be natural -- the MLB calls out the plays and tends to fall into that leadership role.

Conversely, putting him in the position of running meetings enhances his leadership role, both abilities and the trust his teammates have in him to exercise it.

Even if Brown isn't a natural for it, it's still good personnel management.

I generally enjoy it when blowhards are put in their place and proven wrong. The "Rex's scheme won't work with these players" crowd falls into that category, along with the "Rex doesn't know how to put together an offense" crowd.

Rex was the one who sought out Tyrod and recruited Roman; he's also the driving force behind getting Harvin and Incognito here.

My remaining questions concerning Rex are gameday decisions (challenges, 4th downs, etc.). He still hasn't sold me he's on top of that aspect yet -- he made a couple of bonehead decisions in the Pats*** game.

That sounds quintessential Rex - and it's why players love him. Hope Tyrod is for real in the long run, keep drafting cheap young studs, and pick the right guys to extend. Yes, the future looks like the long-suffering fans may finally be rewarded!

even more so in Rex's defense and to be leading the team meetings is taking it to a whole other level. consider this: Rex has only coached 2 MLB's in his career before this: Ray Lewis and David Harris. those are some big shoes to fill for young Preston

It's interesting living in what is mostly a NYC football market as people here generally think Rex sucks. I know he is still in his honeymoon in B-lo but man does he ever seem to have the ingredients of being an outstanding coach. I think he got burned by the owner and GM in NY.

Really? My experience is that most think that he's a good coach, but can't control his mouth and that gets him and the team into trouble.

Pats* game, case in point - after all the pregame hype, the common refrain I heard on Monday was "Same ol Rex"

Really? My experience is that most think that he's a good coach, but can't control his mouth and that gets him and the team into trouble.

Pats* game, case in point - after all the pregame hype, the common refrain I heard on Monday was "Same ol Rex"

I hear it mostly from the guys in the locker room where I work out. A couple of them are diehard Jets fans. Before the season started they both said B-lo will regret the hire. They would agree with the idea he runs his mouth too much but they also added that he has no talent with the offense and his team was "sloppy."

Again, it's early days in Buffalo but Rex does seem like he has learned from his NY experience.

To me the biggest question will be whether he and Whaley remain on the same page.

!!!

@JoeBuscaglia: #Bills HC Rex Ryan starts off his press conference talking about Jack Eichel.

How could you not love this guy.

One of the key criticisms of Rex is that he could never put together an effective offense. Well, he's got all the pieces right now, including a QB that is looking like a good choice right now. So I'm excited to see what Rex is capable of doing with a strong offense and defense, and I hope that chip on his shoulder is what pushes him over the top.

Rex was interviewed on Mike and Mike this morning. Greeny asked him if this was the best defense he's ever had. He said they were still making a lot of mistakes and there was a long way to go... Didn't really answer the question other than to say there was a lot of talent. He did make it a point to say it's not the "Rex" defense or the Dennis Thurman defense. He said this is the players' defense. MMQB had a blurb today about how he had Corey Graham and Preston Brown lead the defensive meetings last week to enforce this point. I also notice mostly 4-3 (vs 3-4) which shows how personnel driven he is. He talked about being multiple before the season and not a true 3-4 or 4-3 but interesting to see how it's played out so far since I know a lot of fans were concerned about the changes.

@theMMQB: 10 Things @emilymkaplan Thinks: Kaep's job is secure, Jared Allen trade works for everyone, Rex Ryan: Players' Coach. http://t.co/NTKWFXKyqx

I'm pretty sure he said the same thing in either the post-game presser or his Monday presser.

I see another brilliant Jerry Sullivan column in the works. "Rex said 3-4 but Bills run 4-3? This team is in disarray!"

I think as long as Rex and Doug are on the same page, and as long as we provide him with decent offensive coaching staffs, he'll be around for a long time to come.

I see another brilliant Jerry Sullivan column in the works. "Rex said 3-4 but Bills run 4-3? This team is in disarray!"

I never understood why everyone thought we'd be running 3-4 heading into the season... I'm pretty sure I remember him saying he'd run the scheme based on our talent, and that talent is aligned with a 4 man front. :|

How could you not love this guy.

One of the key criticisms of Rex is that he could never put together an effective offense. Well, he's got all the pieces right now, including a QB that is looking like a good choice right now. So I'm excited to see what Rex is capable of doing with a strong offense and defense, and I hope that chip on his shoulder is what pushes him over the top.

The Roman hire made for a pretty good arguement about some fresh self awareness.

I think as long as Rex and Doug are on the same page, and as long as we provide him with decent offensive coaching staffs, he'll be around for a long time to come.

I never understood why everyone thought we'd be running 3-4 heading into the season... I'm pretty sure I remember him saying he'd run the scheme based on our talent, and that talent is aligned with a 4 man front. :|

agreed but many wanted to see it to believe it

Rex went rogue.

Maybe this is all a veiled jab at Preston Brown...Sullivan could write "Rex wants 3-4, but Preston went Rogue."

I think one of the biggest concerns re: 4-3 vs. 3-4 was ol' Schwartzee hitting the road. I'm refreshed by the flexibility exhibited by this coaching staff.