The correct way to be a fan..or apparently how I'm not

Virgil

It's amazing to me the responses and personal attacks I've seen to my posts since the Patriots game. Many calling me a troll, telling me that we lost to a great team and be happy we are 1-1, etc.

What I can't figure out is the hypocrisy around someone getting passionate(emotional) about their sports team on a fanboard about that sports team.

Here's what I know:

• The Bills organization and players don't know I exist besides the money they get from season tickets.
  • There is nothing I do that has any impact on the game
  • No matter what happens in the game, my life is not affected in any real way, unless I bet money on the game
  • We are only two weeks into the season
  • We can still make the playoffs

What's a fan:

• A fanatic is a person filled with excessive and single-minded zeal, especially for an extreme religious or political cause.

With that, every single person is on here because they have a strong feeling about the team, positive or negative. We let ourselves get consumed in ways that non-sports fans think we are crazy for. I remember crying after the 3rd Superbowl loss because I just couldn't understand why we couldn't win one.

So yes, I am extremely angry about our loss last week. I'm not mad that we lost as much as I'm mad how we lost and the responses after the game. Rex does a great job of hyping up his team and the media. It's been non-stop Bills/Pats coverage for the past 10 days. And based off of everything, I fully expected it to be a game. Win or lose, a competitive game where we showed them we aren't their whipping boys anymore. That they shouldn't look at us on the schedule and assume the W.

But that's not what happened. I felt lied to honestly. I felt setup. I felt like this great coaching staff somehow didn't know how the Pats played and how to stop them. It was as big a letdown game since the Raiders game last year.

So yes, I'm going to be pessimistic. I'm going to assume that Roman doesn't know how to utilize his WR's in a game until he proves me otherwise. I'm going to assume that Rex can't find that line between hype and professionalism in getting the job done. And I'm going to hope every single week that they prove me wrong because I'm not going to get sucked into a game like that with the optimism I had.

And the great thing is, and the beauty of the internet, you don't have to agree or respond. The people that do with such anger and attacks blow my mind. It's like holding a protest sign saying you don't believe in protesting. Don't worry though, I'm sure there is something wrong with this post as well. But I'm going to keep on doing like I do. I'm going to keep posting how I feel after a game with the same passion you feel, but maybe from a different lens. I'm going to keep posting in my "What BS excuse will we hear if we lose to Miami thread" because even though I expect to win, I'm very curious to hear the spin if we don't. And honestly, it's a lot easier going into a game with caution than it is with the unbridled optimism we started the season on.

Good news is, I will never take anything posted personally on here. I enjoy posting as well as the back and forth with many. The angrier I see someone, the more I know I'm talking to a true fan. Those who take it personal and beyond the conversation at hand, those are the ones I worry for.

Thank you for your time

Edited by Freddie's Ghost

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

either drink the kool-aid or be called a troll. that's how some around here operate. Everyone has a right to be pessimistic until we actually win a game of significance (that would be a postseason game). I think we will this year, but was very discouraged by many facets of last weeks game.

I'll never read a post that long. Pure LAMP.

Someone call the LAMP WAAAAAA-MBULANCE for the OP...

Also missed on the protest sign analogy - it's like the the OP is holding up a protest sign, but the rest of us are saying "what the hell are you protesting"? :D

Honestly not trying to be a wise guy here. But, it's a friggin fan board maybe you're too thin skinned to take the heat when you start crazy thread titles? And as someone mentioned here this is a pure LAMP. really,nothing to do with the bigger issues.

Like if we blow out the fish are we as good as our record says? I say yes.

either drink the kool-aid or be called a troll. that's how some around here operate. Everyone has a right to be pessimistic until we actually win a game of significance (that would be a postseason game). I think we will this year, but was very discouraged by many facets of last weeks game.

Oh you know some posters will come strong with "it was only a wild-card game."

It's amazing to me the responses and personal attacks I've seen to my posts since the Patriots game. Many calling me a troll, telling me that we lost to a great team and be happy we are 1-1, etc.

With that, every single person is on here because they have a strong feeling about the team, positive or negative.

So yes, I am extremely angry about our loss last week. I'm not mad that we lost as much as I'm mad how we lost and the responses

So yes, I'm going to be pessimistic. I'm going to assume that Roman doesn't know how to utilize his WR's in a game until he proves me otherwise. I'm going to assume that Rex can't find that line between hype and professionalism in getting the job done. And I'm going to hope every single week that they prove me wrong because I'm not going to get sucked into a game like that with the optimism I had.

You seem to be a lot happier being negative; if that is your thing then do not be surprised that you are thought of as a troll.