Watkins: Tyrod Taylor must gain trust in the OL

YoloinOhio

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent article. I was suspicious of the charges it was all the olines fault. This confirms it wasn't

BTW...Sammy speaks poor English

But he said "doing well." And it is silly seeing everyday slang like "gotta" transcribed as "got to."

Except he doesn't just stand there. He moves in the pocket, often extending plays.

Many times he extended plays but others he stood back and held on to the ball too long. He has to learn to step into the pocket when it collapses and get rid of it. He played a good game all things considered he just needs more time with live bullets flying.

Maybe one of you experts can look at this in more detail, but when I was looking at the All-22 from WGR yesterday, I was thinking it really took too long for the WRs to get to space, especially when compared to what the Pats and Brady do.

Maybe one of you experts can look at this in more detail, but when I was looking at the All-22 from WGR yesterday, I was thinking it really took too long for the WRs to get to space, especially when compared to what the Pats and Brady do.

Some of the route concepts were slower-developing, yeah. One of the other contributing factors is that NE did play press coverage much of the time, which Buffalo didn't do as much of--to my surprise.

I think stepping up in the pocket leaves a QB more vulnerable to a big hit from behind, or just getting engulfed and crushed. I think that makes Tyrod (understandably) uncomfortable. Tyrod is on the short and narrow side of things, so I don't expect any Roethlisberger-style throws, with guys draped all over him, and he is probably better off leaving the pocket, but doing it more decisively, like Russell Wilson.

To be honest, this loss should teach the team a lot! It also keeps the fan base in check, lol.... After week one, I was certainly too high on this team- felt we could beat anybody!!! Still think we are tough, just won't be looking for the highest building to plummet from if we lose. Still very confident in a playoff run!!!

It was his second start, and against the defending champs who already look like they want to repeat. He's still learning his supporting cast, and they're still getting used to and learning him. No need to panic. They'll start coming together. This was the best time for them to get pummeled so they can learn from it now and hopefully pay them back later.

slow eyes? sorry had to. :devil:

3 seconds is a long time to stand there to look for an open guy.

I was thinking that myself. what were his times in week 1?

Beat you to it on another thread. Coaches are seeing something in practice with EJ that allowed them to trade Cassel. And to hear "the present and the future" quote by Rex today says a lot.

I just think Cassel was the veteran that would replace Tyrod if something happened mid-game, and EJM would start the next game.

Ryan mentioned that "they wish they had figured out earlier" that EJM would have a better chance to develop during practices as the #2. Then when Dallas called they had a chance to get something in return for Cassel.

I just think Cassel was the veteran that would replace Tyrod if something happened mid-game, and EJM would start the next game.

Ryan mentioned that "they wish they had figured out earlier" that EJM would have a better chance to develop during practices as the #2. Then when Dallas called they had a chance to get something in return for Cassel.

I always thought this as well. Some people called me stupid. Figures.

Excellent article. I was suspicious of the charges it was all the olines fault. This confirms it wasn't

BTW...Sammy speaks poor English

Clemson, the Harvard of the South. :lol:

Sometimes I wonder if Rex speaks about the past in a revisionist manner. I think Rex is always selling optimism and confidence regarding today and tomorrow. I think he is willing to skew the perspective on the past a little to make the future look a little brighter. I understand why he might try to present that positive spin on everything. I just don't always take everything he says for granted.

I always thought this as well. Some people called me stupid. Figures.

I think you both were right about the gameplan - MC the emergency bandaid, EJM the long-term bandage. I think they have been impressed by EJM and now they could get something back for MC. Circumstances change, hence choices change. There is no way they were cutting Cassell to let EJM be the backup, but since they could get picks, they pulled the trigger (or Rex is #Rogue...right along with the rest of organization!).

Beat you to it on another thread. Coaches are seeing something in practice with EJ that allowed them to trade Cassel. And to hear "the present and the future" quote by Rex today says a lot.

That means the TT is our Alex Smith and the coaches think that EJM may be our Kaep! I know we didn't win Sunday, but I have to say the improvement with the QB position is astounding over last season. Coaching really matters in the NFL.

Of course not, but if we are going to expect this particular QB to win a shootout with Brady we already lost. He should not have had to throw as much as he did, 32 points should be enough to win any game with this defense. The defense couldn't stop Brady, rinse and repeat every year.

if we cant ask the guy to throw 30 passes, thats a valid problem to acknowledge.

if we cant ask the guy to throw 30 passes, thats a valid problem to acknowledge.

I think the idea of this years offense was to throw around 25 times a game and rush around 35 times, and what we saw after that first series was Tyrod needing to shoulder the entire offense when the run game failed to work.

I think the idea of this years offense was to throw around 25 times a game and rush around 35 times, and what we saw after that first series was Tyrod needing to shoulder the entire offense when the run game failed to work.

60% rushing just isnt realistic though. maybe on your perfect days, but a qb has to be able to shoulder a little bit. 30 passes a game would put him just about last in the league for last years starters (without looking at the list for an exact number).

Why have I seen very little on here criticizing Sammy. I expected a thread this week. We had a chance to tie the game up on the final drive had Sammy caught a ball that hit him in the hands. Obviously it was far from a perfect throw but he had a lot of both hands on that ball. It should have been caught. I notice he does not quickly secure a lot of balls and bobbles them.

Hey Sammy, don't worry about Tyrod trusting the offensive line. Go do some catching drills instead.

Why have I seen very little on here criticizing Sammy. I expected a thread this week. We had a chance to tie the game up on the final drive had Sammy caught a ball that hit him in the hands. Obviously it was far from a perfect throw but he had a lot of both hands on that ball. It should have been caught. I notice he does not quickly secure a lot of balls and bobbles them.

Hey Sammy, don't worry about Tyrod trusting the offensive line. Go do some catching drills instead.

You obviously missed the Sammy thread and didn't see Sammy's locker room interview.

There has been plenty of criticism of him since last week. He also admitted that he should've caught that ball. And also that Clay should've caught his earlier tipped-ball INT, lol. Sammy's holding everyone accountable, apparently.

He also said great things about Tyrod in his locker room interview. After admitting that he should've caught the ball, he basically said "Tyrod's a great QB. He's gonna make those plays."

You obviously missed the Sammy thread and didn't see Sammy's locker room interview.

There has been plenty of criticism of him since last week. He also admitted that he should've caught that ball. And also that Clay should've caught his earlier tipped-ball INT, lol. Sammy's holding everyone accountable, apparently.

He also said great things about Tyrod in his locker room interview. After admitting that he should've caught the ball, he basically said "Tyrod's a great QB. He's gonna make those plays."

My bad. Must have missed the thread.

Still, after dropping such a crucial ball, he should not be commenting at all on anyone else. All comments should be, "I need to get better at what I'm responsible for. First and foremost, catching." Commenting on Clay is also out of bounds.

Worry about yourself Sammy. You've got plenty to work on.