Watkins: Tyrod Taylor must gain trust in the OL

YoloinOhio

*warning* Rodak article

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/21072/sammy-watkins-tyrod-taylor-must-gain-trust-in-bills-o-line

Pro Football Focus measured Taylor as having 3.39 seconds on average to throw, the longest time of any quarterback in Week 2. Is that more of an indication that Taylor was forced to scramble because of protection breakdowns or that his offensive line held up and Taylor simply held the ball too long?

Let's take a look at Taylor's eight sacks for some clues:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

slow eyes? sorry had to. :devil:

3 seconds is a long time to stand there to look for an open guy.

This also takes into account the 2-3 drives where he just seemed to drop back and wait to get sacked... I am not going to watch the replay of the game as I just climbed off the ledge and don't want to go back up there...

I was thinking that myself. what were his times in week 1?

There have been multiple 'coverage' sacks/scrambles with him so far... I think, like a lot of younger QBs, he'll have to learn to throw the ball before guys get open more. He does an ok job sometimes, but sometimes he just holds on too long. He either needs to throw it away, or get back to the line of scrimmage once a certain time has passed.

Except he doesn't just stand there. He moves in the pocket, often extending plays.

Right...it's one of those situations where you have to take the bad along with the good. He extends plays and keeps his eyes downfield; he also needs to learn when to step into a clean pocket and not vacate when the initial reads don't come open.

It's a learning process that he's got to go through--it'll be some time before we have a really good feeling as to whether or not he can develop that sense to the point where it's second-nature.

Right...it's one of those situations where you have to take the bad along with the good. He extends plays and keeps his eyes downfield; he also needs to learn when to step into a clean pocket and not vacate when the initial reads don't come open.

It's a learning process that he's got to go through--it'll be some time before we have a really good feeling as to whether or not he can develop that sense to the point where it's second-nature.

Yeah, multiple times he stepped to the side, or back, into a sack, when he had a pocket to step into. I imagine that will have to come with experience. As far as extending plays, there is a time limit... its good to move around, but at a certain point you need to either get rid of the ball, or get back to the LoS.

Yeah, multiple times he stepped to the side, or back, into a sack, when he had a pocket to step into. I imagine that will have to come with experience. As far as extending plays, there is a time limit... its good to move around, but at a certain point you need to either get rid of the ball, or get back to the LoS.

But several times he also escaped and found an open receiver. People want perfection. Why not settle for success?

But several times he also escaped and found an open receiver. People want perfection. Why not settle for success?

Please don't confuse my (constructive) criticism for not recognizing how well he's done. We've produced a lot points so far, and he's done a lot of good things. I have an interest in him getting even better.

I know I am an outsider but I have to say, he has looked better than a lot of vets. I saw some people saying "but Brady does this..." I mean... remember what this QB situation is. You don't need him to be all-pro. Maybe to beat the Patriots, but moreover that was on the defense.

It's not one or the other...people are simply pointing out areas where he can improve.

His ability to extend plays is a huge asset...just like every other asset, he needs to learn how to use it most effectively. That's all.

I think Tyrod has done really well but 3-4 sacks last weekend were definitely his fault. If he wants to bail then take off and run!,,,,just don't stand there searching around for 5 seconds. Then disaster will strike. He plays well rolling out of the pocket. I have no problem with that. Not expecting him to be Joe Flacco back there.

HE has to be wary of going into that mid-game 4-5 drive abyss. One bad drive OK, it happens but he can't string together a bunch of 3 and outs and/or turnovers. That obviously will lead to a loss every game.

Edited by zow2

Except he doesn't just stand there. He moves in the pocket, often extending plays.

I think one of the valid points is that the Pats typically had a guy hanging back waiting for Taylor to try to extend a play by scrambling out of the pocket, so that resulted in a sack where if he'd stepped up and made small evasive movements a la Rodgers, he could sometimes have found a guy or at least thrown it away. He has the arm strength to throw the ball away from almost anywhere, it's not like he needs to get near the sideline a la Fitz.

It's not one or the other...people are simply pointing out areas where he can improve.

His ability to extend plays is a huge asset...just like every other asset, he needs to learn how to use it most effectively. That's all.

Yes, this

Err, because we lost? Losing is not success?

Excellent article. I was suspicious of the charges it was all the olines fault. This confirms it wasn't

BTW...Sammy speaks poor English

It wasn't "all the Olines fault" but where did you find these "charges"?

There are plays where it was the Oline's fault. There are plays where protection and coverage were both good, and Taylor should have thrown it away before taking a coverage sack. And there were plays where Taylor left something out there.

It's also IMO not the O-lines fault if the Pats stack the box and Roman dials up a run play regardless.

Edited by Hopeful