Why not press coverage if not blitzing?

Virgil

If the idea was to drop guys in coverage because we thought our front 4 could do enough, why not press the guys. You can't quick throw the ball if they are getting bumped off the line.

This is the biggest question I have about our defensive scheme.

Offensive, tons of questions. Why not throw deep, where is Clay, etc...

"Let's give Brady the short stuff that he's really good at, he'll never see it coming!"

it did seem that way.

with the extra guys in coverage, im not sure why we didnt either press with deep help or have an extra guy in underneath zones.

it was none of the rush from a blitz, and none of the added coverage of sitting back. worst of both worlds with how we used the extra guys.

If the idea was to drop guys in coverage because we thought our front 4 could do enough, why not press the guys. You can't quick throw the ball if they are getting bumped off the line.

Agree Freddie's Ghost, kinda been harping on that the last couple of days at work.

I'm still struggling to understand Rex's game plan.

Rex and his defensive coaching staff are all intelligent men. Yet, it was hard to see evidence of that combined intellect on Sunday.

All we needed was a scheme that would keep the Pats under 32 points. Was that really to much to ask?

Press coverage, inside blitzes... we needed to try something - anything - else.

Edited by hondo in seattle

I agree - If we couldn't reach Brady with a blitz or dl pressure because he was unloading the pass in 2 seconds, why weren't we up with the receivers? Sounds like they were conceding all of the short stuff hoping for an eventual drive stall and too afraid of being beat deep.

No pressure in combination with loose coverage. Not a great recipe, especially after Rex took jabs at the Steelers' week 1 coverage of Gronk.

Been too much talk of Brady getting it out fast. Thats true, but if they did bring some heat, with some tighter coverage it can cause mistakes on their offense, incompletions, holding calls, a batted pass, etc. Sundays gameplan played right into Brady,,,he will pick you apart.

How about 300 pound linemen dropping into coverage. I don't believe I've ever seen anything like what happened. Did they not see that it was not working?

I have a feeling the All-22 isn't going to be pretty. From the random film highlights NFL & ESPN have been showing rushing 4 was definitely a bad move because the only thing it did was to leave 2 Bills defenders covering a lot of empty space.

I have a feeling the All-22 isn't going to be pretty. From the random film highlights NFL & ESPN have been showing rushing 4 was definitely a bad move because the only thing it did was to leave 2 Bills defenders covering a lot of empty space.

I'm no head coach, but 10 yard cushions on Edelman on 3rd and 1 with Brady in the shotgun doesn't seem like a winning formula.

I'm no head coach, but 10 yard cushions on Edelman on 3rd and 1 with Brady in the shotgun doesn't seem like a winning formula.

Among many.

There's really no explanation, because that's not how Rex attacked Brady while at NYJ.

I was dissapointed that down on the goal line we didn't put Lawson or Jerry Hughs right on Gronk and not let him get off the line.

here we go. I am f'n furious about this. Lawson has Gronk wide at the line. he lets him!! run right past him. no nothing but a hand. and what happened?

I was screaming. the perfect matchup with the two second pass. Manny should have drilled him. Thats on Lawson. he did that last week too.

Still pissed. game changing play> Bradham same half assed crap on Gronk

yep saw that too.

they were not adjusting again. but i will blame the players some what

I think this was more player communication recognition than Coaching at times. the all 22 reports will be telling. lots of confusion back there again. four and five guys signaling as the ball was snapped

Edited by 3rdand12

I was disappointed that we rarely blitzed. Once we see that the front 4 pressure, drop into coverage approach is not working, why not try something different? Maybe Brady still gets out the throws, but:

a) you're in his face (possibly affecting accuracy)

b) you get a lot more hits (affects his nerves)

c) you probably also get a few more sacks.

It seems Rex wanted to outfox the Patriots "they expect me to blitz, so I won't and they won't be ready for it". I'm ok with trying the outfox approach initially, but when it is obvious it's not working I at least want to see an adjustment. Sticking with the game plan no matter the outcome is Marronish and bothersome. Probably we'd still have lost, but I'd have felt better about it. Unleash our torrential pass rush and then see how Brady likes it.

I was disappointed that we rarely blitzed. Once we see that the front 4 pressure, drop into coverage approach is not working, why not try something different? Maybe Brady still gets out the throws, but:

a) you're in his face (possibly affecting accuracy)

b) you get a lot more hits (affects his nerves)

c) you probably also get a few more sacks.

It seems Rex wanted to outfox the Patriots "they expect me to blitz, so I won't and they won't be ready for it". I'm ok with trying the outfox approach initially, but when it is obvious it's not working I at least want to see an adjustment. Sticking with the game plan no matter the outcome is Marronish and bothersome. Probably we'd still have lost, but I'd have felt better about it. Unleash our torrential pass rush and then see how Brady likes it.

Of course he'll take this approach next time, and they'll be assuming he will and....sigh