Taylor Review

Thurmal34

That is not what I am pointing out

I am pointing out that franchise QBs sometimes throw these balls.......and TEs catch them because they catch difficult passes

You took what he said and completely twisted it

and

You still not have given your recommendations on how we would fix our "bad qb situation"

John - I didn't say we have a bad QB situation. I said Taylor sucked today. I said he needed to get the ball out much quicker. I said he failed when it mattered.

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taylor has his faults, 8 sacks today was a part of it, although that was a shared responsibility. The line was bad but at times Taylor is still showing that he needs to see before he acts which means longer time in the pocket. Taylor does not have pinpoint accuracy. His INT's to both Clay and Watkins are a classic example of the game of inches football is. Similar to the line, I feel both plays had a shared responsibility. Both players would tell you they should have caught those passes, just as sure as Tyrod would tell you he should have thrown a better ball. Accuracy and quick decision making seem to be Taylor's weaknesses right now, weaknesses all of us know far to well as so many of the previous Bills QB's suffered from the same combination of poor attributes.

On the positive, Taylor has show us some pretty special qualities. The comparisons to Russell Wilson seem well suited. Taylor has the ability to elude a lot of defenders in the pocket and execute throws in very difficult positions. None of it is drawn up, all of it counts just the same. Wilson is the only other guy in the NFL that has that quality as strong as Taylor does. Like Wilson, Taylor seems to do all this maneuvering while keeping his eyes downfield. He also possesses a very fast release and can throw the ball from any arm slot. You can't just take this away like you can just take away your normal scrambling QB's running ability. Scramblers lose intent on throwing very quickly, Taylor does not lose intent on throwing very often. Detractors will think this quality will eventually get taken away. Many thought it would for Wilson as well. It's very hard to take it away because it will happen multiple times a game extending coverage windows until they break and Taylor, even since his VT days, has been incredible finding and hitting open players when these situations occur.

Taylor is currently on pace for 672 yards rushing. What he has done very well is pick his spots which is represented well by an average gain of 6 yards per carry. He can also operate our short passing game well, dink and dunking his way to a 75.5% completion %. The couple of times he has tried to go up top he has thrown a couple of beautiful balls that resulted in big plays downfield.

If you separate what Taylor does well and what he doesn't do well into two areas you can see a distinct line. Everything he does well is either very deliberate or completely improvised and he has shown to be way above average in competency in those two areas. His deliberate completion %, deep throws, improve, and running ability are very high end. What he isn't doing well right now is the same thing every NFL QB struggles with outside of 3-5 QB's in the NFL. Getting thru progressions quickly and making throws prior to seeing a player open. The expectation this year from the QB position was not losing us games. The Bills have averaged 29.5 points in two games and you can draw a direct line from that production to the things Taylor does well. If the expectation right now is multiple progressions and throws prior to seeing a player open I think people are really stretching things. Russell Wilson is not at this point. He performs, because like Taylor, he does exceptionally well in all the other areas. I also think Wilson is more advanced in progressions, throwing covered, and accuracy, but he also has several dozen more starts in his career. I expect Taylor to give us some incredible high's this year and I also expect us to feel some frustrations, but the biggest thing I think we all can do at this point is expect that we will get more out of the QB position than "not losing us games".

Edited by KzooMike

Please. He's been around for three years now... Sure, he's vey talented, but the football smarts just aren't there... Ilike the guy... -Grade-A backup... But too much hesitation... If he keeps holding the ball so long, I'll start calling him "Tightwad' Taylor.

Such a dumb, misinformed statement.

Were the Patriots playing the same defense in the 4th qtr as they were in the first qtr after the Bills first series?

Because if they were dropping more into coverage, and not coming after Tyrod later in the game then that 18 point comeback isn't a great as we all think it is.

The Patriots just showed the rest of the NFL the blueprint on how to beat that Buffalo offense. I'm sure Miami along with other teams will watch this game very closely

Were the Patriots playing the same defense in the 4th qtr as they were in the first qtr after the Bills first series?

Because if they were dropping more into coverage, and not coming after Tyrod later in the game then that 18 point comeback isn't a great as we all think it is.

The Patriots just showed the rest of the NFL the blueprint on how to beat that Buffalo offense. I'm sure Miami along with other teams will watch this game very closely

That same Miami team that lost today to the Jaguars with Marrone on their coaching staff?

Yeah, the bills are screwed now that Belicheck has finally showed the league how to beat the Bills this week............

Taylor has his faults, 8 sacks today was a part of it, although that was a shared responsibility. The line was bad but at times Taylor is still showing that he needs to see before he acts which means longer time in the pocket. Taylor does not have pinpoint accuracy. His INT's to both Clay and Watkins are a classic example of the game of inches football is. Similar to the line, I feel both plays had a shared responsibility. Both players would tell you they should have caught those passes, just as sure as Tyrod would tell you he should have thrown a better ball. Accuracy and quick decision making seem to be Taylor's weaknesses right now, weaknesses all of us know far to well as so many of the previous Bills QB's suffered from the same combination of poor attributes.

On the positive, Taylor has show us some pretty special qualities. The comparisons to Russell Wilson seem well suited. Taylor has the ability to elude a lot of defenders in the pocket and execute throws in very difficult positions. None of it is drawn up, all of it counts just the same. Wilson is the only other guy in the NFL that has that quality as strong as Taylor does. Like Wilson, Taylor seems to do all this maneuvering while keeping his eyes downfield. He also possesses a very fast release and can throw the ball from any arm slot. You can't just take this away like you can just take away your normal scrambling QB's running ability. Scramblers lose intent on throwing very quickly, Taylor does not lose intent on throwing very often. Detractors will think this quality will eventually get taken away. Many thought it would for Wilson as well. It's very hard to take it away because it will happen multiple times a game extending coverage windows until they break and Taylor, even since his VT days, has been incredible finding and hitting open players when these situations occur.

Taylor is currently on pace for 672 yards rushing. What he has done very well is pick his spots which is represented well by an average gain of 6 yards per carry. He can also operate our short passing game well, dink and dunking his way to a 75.5% completion %. The couple of times he has tried to go up top he has thrown a couple of beautiful balls that resulted in big plays downfield.

If you separate what Taylor does well and what he doesn't do well into two areas you can see a distinct line. Everything he does well is either very deliberate or completely improvised and he has shown to be way above average in competency in those two areas. His deliberate completion %, deep throws, improve, and running ability are very high end. What he isn't doing well right now is the same thing every NFL QB struggles with outside of 3-5 QB's in the NFL. Getting thru progressions quickly and making throws prior to seeing a player open. The expectation this year from the QB position was not losing us games. The Bills have averaged 29.5 points in two games and you can draw a direct line from that production to the things Taylor does well. If the expectation right now is multiple progressions and throws prior to seeing a player open I think people are really stretching things. Russell Wilson is not at this point. He performs, because like Taylor, he does exceptionally well in all the other areas. I also think Wilson is more advanced in progressions, throwing covered, and accuracy, but he also has several dozen more starts in his career. I expect Taylor to give us some incredible high's this year and I also expect us to feel some frustrations, but the biggest thing I think we all can do at this point is expect that we will get more out of the QB position than "not losing us games".

I think you left out a guy named Rodgers who seems pretty great at eluding rushers in the pocket and may be the best at making throws from all angles. TT has some elusiveness, to be sure, but is a long way from RW or AR when it comes to reading defenses and throwing with accuracy. He's probably the best the Bills have right now, but we may not know for awhile what we have in him. Let's see after about week 8 or so when we've played four or five games vs teams with 3 or more games of video on him.

Fair analysis after 2 games. Needs the additional flavor of audibles (whether he's permitted or not) and/or deep ball shots when they are the right thing to do. Today, TT /Roman (no matter who was the final authority) fell hard on that part of our O. I just ask you to look at how NE beat us. It wasn't on many (if any ) runs or passes that are caught at/behind the LOS..

Our O still lacks any sort of killer instinct. Jim Kelly led teams did not dink and dunk. TT can sling it if it's called.

TT scored 3 TD's and ran for 1 in spite of playcalling.

Kneeling it out after we were up 24-0 vs. Colts hurt us there. And that's what Roman did.

DO NOT LIKE our playcalling 2 weeks in.

Fair analysis after 2 games. Needs the additional flavor of audibles (whether he's permitted or not) and/or deep ball shots when they are the right thing to do. Today, TT /Roman (no matter who was the final authority) fell hard on that part of our O. I just ask you to look at how NE beat us. It wasn't on many (if any ) runs or passes that are caught at/behind the LOS..

Our O still lacks any sort of killer instinct. Jim Kelly led teams did not dink and dunk. TT can sling it if it's called.

TT scored 3 TD's and ran for 1 in spite of playcalling.

Kneeling it out after we were up 24-0 vs. Colts hurt us there. And that's what Roman did.

DO NOT LIKE our playcalling 2 weeks in.

fair enough. But TT looked skittish even after that superlative first drive. He was avoiding the rush but not doing much with that scramble. No point in praising his escapability if it doesnt result in a good run or a completed pass. Also, at least two of his interceptions were his fault. Even though the receiver was able to touch the ball, they were too high to expect a completion. This is what we complained in the past that the QB 'was killing our WR/TE'. As with EJ and Orton in the past, so it was with TT today.

The Pats* were stacking the box big time because it was evident that TT wasnt able to scan the field and make even a safe dink and dunk pass. The fact that he played well late in the game, does not negate the fact that the ineptness of the offense and the terrible Defense let the game get away from us in the first half.

I do in general agree that Roman should have been a tad more creative and given him some safe completions to get him back on track in the 2nd quarter.

First....let me say that I feel you might be expecting too much too soon from Tyrod Taylor

- Can we keep in mind that this was his SECOND NFL start?

- If you take it in the context that this was in his second NFL start and he wasnt getting a lot of help from his OL it puts it in a better prospective

- Keep in mind that when your D cant stop another teams O....that has a effect on playcalling as well

- QBs are not going to have strong quarters every quarter....it comes in spurts......

- Lets also keep him mind how long TT had to sit on the sideline.....because Brady was basically rolling our defense. Disrupting TT's rythum

THROUGH ALL OF THAT.......TT showeed his grit by not giving up and got this team to 8 points down.....this happened with a ridiculous amount of penalities.....at least 1 interception that should not have been popped up like that......

When you put it in that prospective and not expect TT to be Tom Brady and simply a good starting NFL QB.......it takes the edge off

We'll then he threw another ball too high resulting in a game clinching pick. He can not see over the line, his release needs work. Edited by DirtDart

Thanks for your response. I don't see any similarities with Rodgers just because Rodgers is in a different world as far as what he does do well. Yes, he can avoid the rush and deliver from any angle. He also can read defenses, get to his 4th progressions, has a rocket arm, and pin point accuracy. What doesn't he do well? I like Taylor and Wilson as a great comparison (even if Wilson currently has a big edge) just because I don't think either will ever be a prototypical QB, but both are also not just scramblers. People have strong feelings that a scrambler isn't viable in the NFL. I share those feelings as so few have made it. I wouldn't consider Wilson or Taylor scramblers. They want to throw first and do everything possible to throw. If they have to run or see that they can hurt you bad, maybe backs turned in man coverage, they will. Taylor is a poor mans Wilson right now, both figuratively and literally. I'm fine with that after two starts and coming into the year with a very low expectation. I also happen to think he can develop even further and if so, watch out. We could finally end the turn cycle, even if it's not with a prototype.

I think you left out a guy named Rodgers who seems pretty great at eluding rushers in the pocket and may be the best at making throws from all angles. TT has some elusiveness, to be sure, but is a long way from RW or AR when it comes to reading defenses and throwing with accuracy. He's probably the best the Bills have right now, but we may not know for awhile what we have in him. Let's see after about week 8 or so when we've played four or five games vs teams with 3 or more games of video on him.

Thanks for your response. I don't see any similarities with Rodgers just because Rodgers is in a different world as far as what he does do well. Yes, he can avoid the rush and deliver from any angle. He also can read defenses, get to his 4th progressions, has a rocket arm, and pin point accuracy. What doesn't he do well? I like Taylor and Wilson as a great comparison (even if Wilson currently has a big edge) just because I don't think either will ever be a prototypical QB, but both are also not just scramblers. People have strong feelings that a scrambler isn't viable in the NFL. I share those feelings as so few have made it. I wouldn't consider Wilson or Taylor scramblers. They want to throw first and do everything possible to throw. If they have to run or see that they can hurt you bad, maybe backs turned in man coverage, they will. Taylor is a poor mans Wilson right now, both figuratively and literally. I'm fine with that after two starts and coming into the year with a very low expectation. I also happen to think he can develop even further and if so, watch out. We could finally end the turn cycle, even if it's not with a prototype.

Edited by KzooMike

Taylor sucked for most of the game. The first couple of drives were solid but up until those last few scoring drives Tyrod was terrible today. Inexperienced QB going to be some ups and downs.

I will say this, it was encouraging that Tyrod put together those last few scoring drives. The first couple of scores were pesudo garbage time. But when the Bills recovered that Brady fumble that scoring drive wasn't garbage time. Plenty of time left on the clock and a score would have left the Pats* with a single score lead with too much time on the clock.

That last scoring drive gave the Bills a chance to tie that game with over 1:30 on the clock down 8. Not the best chance but a real tangible shot and with a lot of offensive momentum. It was just good to Tyrod show fight to put a scare into the Pats*. Even if their defense is terrible.

TT is not a starting caliber QB. He may grow into it but he has A LOT of growing to do for it to happen.

Let me be the first to publicly express my displeasure with the fact that EJ didn't dress again. I fervently believe EJ wouldn't have thrown as many bad balls, as many picks and he would have been able to see over the line and push the ball down field in a more aggressive fashion.

All we got was Capt. Checkdown the sequel for vast swaths of this game coupled with an inability to climb the pocket.

Will we beat teams with TT, probably. I'm just not sure he can grow enough by the end of this season to make it worth it.

Glad you have it all figured out. How could they have missed you when they hired coaches? Granted, Taylor took too much time getting rid of the ball at times but it's a real stretch putting it all on a guy starting his second NFL game against a team like New England.

What are you guys smoking?

Tyrod got sacked 8 times today, threw three picks, and struggled moving the the ball at times

HE ALSO THREW FOR 3 TDS AND RAN FOR ANOTHER ONE AND AS BAD AS OUR WHOLE TEAM PLAYED HAD KEPT US ALIVE UNTIL THE VERY END. OH AND TWO OF HIS INTS WERE DEFLECTED BALLS OFF OF HIS WR'S HANDS.

Taylor is by far the best quarterback the Bills have started since Doug Flutie. If you cant recognize that youre a blind moron. He is mature, composed, has a live arm that can make all the throws, he can hit the deep ball, he has awareness inside and outside of the pocket, he is accurate on the run and he has 4.4 speed that can take the top off a defense if they let him get loose.

Are you out of your mind?

Well, Hey!

I agree the play calling sucked at times. clearly but I don't believe our receivers were that covered calling for dump off after dump off. He was in there trying to play from the pocket which he clearly is uncomfortable doing. And , if he keeps the chains moving the Pats don't put us that deep in a hole. One hand washes the other. The Pats are a better team.

He looked quite comfortable functioning from the pocket last week, when there was one.

Such a dumb, misinformed statement.

LOL! -What moron gets attached to a career backup after two stinkin games??? -I've been watching Tyrod since his early games in Vatech... I've seen him progress through the years... I'll vouch for his ability.. But he's just never been incredibly bright, or creative.. If he's hiding that aspect of himself, I'll happily accept being wrong.... I just don't think it's there... -Coudn't hope for a better placeholder for a real NFL starter, though....

being 1-2 and down 2 in the division would not be a good start

as a fan of course I am supporting him, but being objective I have little faith he turns it around. A bad loss next week makes us 1 - 2, 0 & 2 in the division, in a hole already, and looking at "must win" games early in the season. I hate to say the name because of the poor character reference (an aspect which Im in no way attributing to TT), but on the field I see nothing he gives us that Geno Smith wouldn't. My concern is it gets worse and worse, and we see Geno-like melt downs. Guy carries himself a lot better off the field, so maybe theres hope. And I sure would love for him to prove me wrong