Sabres and NHL 2015-16

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11. Buffalo Sabres GM Tim Murray is of the same mindset. Even with Robin Lehner out, the Sabres have zero need to make a silly trade for a goalie who either costs too much or doesn't really help. Murray said Saturday night he’s going to let Chad Johnson have a run, and the netminder responded with 22 saves in Monday’s 4-2 win over Columbus. What could make this interesting is the readiness of 22-year-old Linus Ullmark. He’s a good prospect coming off double-hip surgery who made 38 saves in his North American debut Saturday for AHL Rochester. If Buffalo decides he’s ready for a look, the goaltending future in Western New York has potential to change.

12. I really don’t like to comment on people’s conditioning, because no one’s done a worse job staying in shape for most of the last 25 years than me. Lehner’s 2014-15 season ended with a concussion, and he was not ready for this year. I did not get the opportunity to discuss this with Murray, but it wouldn’t be a surprise if that contributed to the injury. The Sabres are very excited about hiring Oliver Finlay as director of player performance. Getting Lehner sorted out is a major priority.

@FriedgeHNIC

30 Thoughts -- http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-the-aftermath-of-the-mike-richards-settlement/

We should be excited for Eichel

Around the Horn explains why fans should be ecstatic to watch Sabres rookie Jack Eichel and how the NHL could use more young players like him.

I can't remember ATH ever discussing Hockey.

Ultimate Standings: Buffalo Sabres' draft picks give fans hope

In ESPN The Magazine's annual ranking of 122 pro sports teams, the Buffalo Sabres jumped 13 spots after landing can't-miss prospect Jack Eichel in the 2015 draft.

@Real_ESPNLeBrun

Rumblings blog: http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/39761/rumblings-sabres-not-shopping-for-goalie-yet

proxy.jpg?t=HBhYaHR0cDovL2E0LmVzcG5jZG4u

Robin Lehner's six-to-10-week injury absence quickly produced a few phone calls from fellow general managers, but Tim Murray isn’t interested at this point in dealing for a goalie.

"No we’re not, we’re giving Chad Johnson a chance to play," the Sabres GM said Tuesday.

Nathan Lieuwen was called up to back up Johnson.

"We also have high hopes for [Linus] Ullmark," said Murray. "He’s 22 years old, he’s not a kid. He was goalie of the year in Sweden two years ago. The only problem with him is that he hasn’t played in North America."

So his AHL apprenticeship now is to give Ullmark a chance to adjust to the North American pro game.

again 26, thank you for all the links, greatly appreciated.

Really like 30 thoughts Was there any ramblings Lehner was out of shape ? First I have heard of that.

You're very welcome. I heard about Lehner's lack of proper physical conditioning during the latter stages of the preseason on one of the Canadian broadcasts. Hadn't heard about it prior to then. It kind of makes sense since he had such a long layoff from the concussion.

So...changing numbers didn't really hurt him.

Dude is just filthy (he still hasn't turned 19!). To all of you who didn't want to tank...you really did want to tank and now you know why.

From a guy who used to be a huge Sabre fan I'm glad they got him but I'm embarrassed as **** with how they got him.

You're very welcome. I heard about Lehner's lack of proper physical conditioning during the latter stages of the preseason on one of the Canadian broadcasts. Hadn't heard about it prior to then. It kind of makes sense since he had such a long layoff from the concussion.

I recall some articles over the summer, shortly after the trade, where Lehner himself said the concussion had prevented him from working out and that while he wasn't in shape, he was hoping to be fully cleared to resume workouts soon.

GO BILLS!!!

From a guy who used to be a huge Sabre fan I'm glad they got him but I'm embarrassed as **** with how they got him.

Embarrassed? Please...Very few remember how Pittsburgh tanked to get Crosby or the Colts tanking to get Andrew Luck. It's sports, you strategize to build your team long term, no matter what it takes. It was embarrassing being the laughing stock of the league for two years, but those that laughed are wishing they have Jack on their team right now.

As for Lehner, his conditioning is going to take time. He had a concussion, so you're not just going to throw a helmet on and takes some pucks off the head any time soon after. But this will set him back even more, he'll probably have to go to Rochester for a bit when he's healthy.

actually, Pittsburgh really didnt tank for Crosby. They were just really bad and in financial turmoil (in danger of relocation). The lockout year happened leading into the Crosby draft and they had a whole system of odds based on a 3 season average on a few factors. Buffalo had an equal shot at Crosby as Pittsburgh. Bad for a number of years, numerous high picks. Chicago just had awful ownership and stockpiled a lot of picks and hit on some.... also got very fortunate in the lottery to leapfrog Philly and get Kane while Philly got JVR.

Now, the Penguins' tank for Lemieux is legendary and sets the standard.

As far as Buffalo goes, look at it this way. We had to suffer through a lot of seasons of middling, trying to make the playoffs for the extra revenue, just trying to reach break-even. For years, assets were lost for nothing or limited returns. Draft position was always mid-draft... following the Hasek years of drafting pretty low. We havent had a superstar skater since LaFontaine, which was pretty fairly brief and injury-riddled. Mogilny's one crazy season too. Other superstar was Perreault. That is 45 years.

The organization was completely stagnated by Regier, Ruff, and that group of players. They couldnt just remove one or the other. They tried to covet top free agents but they werent interested (Doan, Richards, Parise, Suter, etc). The entire thing needed to be blown out. That is what they did. Superstar 17-18 year olds were there, who could grow with the city and be captive until at least UFA status. Once the team gets good and word spreads that Buffalo is a good place, UFAs will sign and NTCs will be waived.

@PlayersTribune Oct 9

Once a dream, the @NWHL_ starts on Sunday. Commissioner @DaniRylan on how she got it done: http://playerstribu.ne/1RyKk00

CQ6D30CWoAApd2_.jpg

I saw them taking quite a bit of crap on social media for naming them the Buffalo Beauts

I also thought it was stupid that they scheduled their first game during a Bills game. But, the game soldout, so what do I know