Defending the Ace Formation

One thing I have learned to be somewhat true about BB. If you didn't like his game plan from last week, don't worry, it will be completely different this week. Expect lots of 5 wide. Multiple TE packages in the red zone. JMO

I agree with this line of thinking when it comes to the Pats. Their ability to change from week to week and from half to half is what makes them so dangerous. I think that they try to spread it wide and run Blount between the tackles. Once everyone starts to cheat towards the box, Brady will start with the short passes to Gronk and Edelman.

Itll be really interesting to see how Rex and BB call this game.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My friend and I were talking about this the other day.

Why not put Mario or Hughes over gronk* when hes not lined up wide, in the slot or the backfield? So if gronk* is anywhere on the line...just let one of those 2 guys engage him at the line with a safety or LB behind him to help. Both of those guys are physical enough to slow him at the line and beat him up a little.

I know this can make you susceptible against the run, but I'd probably take our chances if it meant eliminating gronk* from the game plan totally. Someone who knows X's and O's please let me know why this is a terrible idea.

The tricky part is the way the NFL works these days. If Gronk is trying to release it could be called a hold.

Wonder if a fake blitz could work. Have a LB or Safety show blitz and at the snap crash in to their slot receiver or TE and knock them on their azz. Might work against Gronkenstein and might make Edelman want to go back to the bench and practice yodeling.

My friend and I were talking about this the other day.

Why not put Mario or Hughes over gronk* when hes not lined up wide, in the slot or the backfield? So if gronk* is anywhere on the line...just let one of those 2 guys engage him at the line with a safety or LB behind him to help. Both of those guys are physical enough to slow him at the line and beat him up a little.

I know this can make you susceptible against the run, but I'd probably take our chances if it meant eliminating gronk* from the game plan totally. Someone who knows X's and O's please let me know why this is a terrible idea.

As I recall, the Bills did that once, but I do not remember if it was last year or the year before. In any case, Williams lined up against Gronk when he was on the line and would not let him release. NE adjusted by splitting him out, where you do not want Williams or Hughes to be. Anyone else remember this?

for the life of me.. i can't understand why DBs aren't coached to do the following in a short field -

setup no more than 2 yards off the los, on the inside shoulder of the receiver

jam him if he tries to break inside immediately

back pedal - maintaining position between him and the QB with eyes in the backfield - if he heads upfield

contact is allowed within 5 yards, and this takes away the quick slant, and the timing of any rub intended for a teammate trailing a man inside of yours

it also allows the db to keep position on a drag or other inside routes, and react to a fade

i'm so sick of watching receivers catching balls over the heads of DBs with their backs turned to the ball.. down close, you don't need get your hips turned as quick to run, because there's nowhere to run.. with a 2 yard head start. most DBs can back-pedal 10 yards before reacting to a fade other other outside route

guess it's me.. but i don't get it

----------------------

The way to defend the rub play, as the ball snaps, the guy who cover Gron push him back so Gron and Chandler run into each other. Then they both fall on the ground.

Really, the key is to get to Brady. Regardless of who is on the field. if Brady has less than 2 seconds to throw, they are limited to short throws. The key to defend Gron, Gang tackle! Someone hold him up, the rest of the defenders rush to him and hit him in multiple angles. Some hit him high, some hit him low and aim at his feet. If they play 4 TE, that means Eddleman is not playing. That is great news!!

What i don't get with this formation is why even concern yourself with the run on these 4TE sets? they're clearly designed for passing and personnel mismatches. they're not going to keep lining up in a 4TE set to run the ball every down. send in personnel to cover the pass not the run. Chandlers not blowing our guys off the LOS on a run play.

Good find.

Key quotes:

"These plays work because the Steelers have to respect the Patriots run game with the four tight ends on the field. If teams keep defensive backs on the field when the Patriots get LeGarrette Blount next week, then New England is just going to run the ball down the opposing team's throat for easy yardage. But when the teams put linebackers on the field, then Rob Gronkowski and Scott Chandler are able to win their 1-on-1 match-ups every time."

"The weakness of every AFC East competitor is their distinct lack of quality linebackers."

Unfortunately for us, Belichick is not this writer -- rest assured, he knows just how capable Brown, Bradham, and Lawson are.

The way to defend the rub play, as the ball snaps, the guy who cover Gron push him back so Gron and Chandler run into each other. Then they both fall on the ground.

Really, the key is to get to Brady. Regardless of who is on the field. if Brady has less than 2 seconds to throw, they are limited to short throws. The key to defend Gron, Gang tackle! Someone hold him up, the rest of the defenders rush to him and hit him in multiple angles. Some hit him high, some hit him low and aim at his feet. If they play 4 TE, that means Eddleman is not playing. That is great news!!

DB's can't allow the inside track to their trailing teammate.. playing inside the outside man lets the DB pick him off, before he picks off the teammate. you can't let wide men run free to the middle - for what ever reason, at whatever depth - but on the snap, no way. contest everything you can without drawing a flag. oh, and good luck jamming Gronkowski.

Edited by BackInDaDay

That Steelers defense was an unorganized disaster, absent Pro-Bowl talent in their prime.

The Bills defense is not with several Pro-Bowlers in their prime.

This! That Steeler defense looked like a shell of what it was a few years ago with Dick LeBeau, Troy Polamalu in their prime.

The Patriots have a concern-able lack of top WR's, and O line talent right now and are using smoke / mirrors to conceal that.

Bottom line is can the Bills rush get to Brady within two seconds or disguise coverage's enough so Brady can't figure out who to throw it to. The Patriots can't go five wide because they don't have 5 WR's on their roster- Edelman-Amendola-Dobson, and someone by the name of Matthew Slater. Brandon LeFell is on the PUP until Nov.

The Patriots offense is evolving into more of a TE system because of the lack of the star WR's the team has usually had. Gronk when healthy is pretty much unstoppable, and Edelman is another Wes Welker who always finds a way to get open, and the first down marker. Jam Edelman, and find a way to double up on Gronk.

This is a chess match, and its up to Rex Ryan to figure out how to beat the master cheater.

P.S. In this game I'm sorta hoping Hughes gets a few PF's for late hits on Marsha. Key word "sorta" because I'd rather see the Bills get a solid clean hit on the guy, and knock him silly. P.P.S I miss Kiko

What i don't get with this formation is why even concern yourself with the run on these 4TE sets? they're clearly designed for passing and personnel mismatches. they're not going to keep lining up in a 4TE set to run the ball every down. send in personnel to cover the pass not the run. Chandlers not blowing our guys off the LOS on a run play.

It's a pick your poison formation that has worked well for them. Use nickel or dime personnel to stop pass and they run very well against smaller personnel; keep your bigger LBs in and they exploit the lack of coverage ability and pass on you. They really hurt you by going hurry-up once they get you in a favorable matchup and prevent the insertion of your sub packages. Very well designed and well executed by Brady.

GO BILLS!!!

I know this popped in another thread, but I wanted to spend some time looking at this. The Patriots went heavy with 4 TE's and 1 HB multiple times against the Steelers, and one Boston writer is going on about how it's the "perfect" formation: http://www.patspulpit.com/2015/9/14/9321943/film-review-new-england-patriots-perfect-four-tight-end-set

Now, I don't think any formation is perfect, otherwise they'd run it constantly. I was hoping we could get our heads together and go over how we expect Rex to counter.

My first thought is that no matter how much you beef up the ends of the line, they have a pair of rookies at C and RG, a 4th rounder and an UDFA. They are going up against two Pro Bowlers up the middle all game.

After that...is there a reason not to put Gilmore on Gronk there?

I know im in the vast monority but i want to see Lawson on Gronkowski

for the life of me.. i can't understand why DBs aren't coached to do the following in a short field -

setup no more than 2 yards off the los, on the inside shoulder of the receiver

jam him if he tries to break inside immediately

back pedal - maintaining position between him and the QB with eyes in the backfield - if he heads upfield

contact is allowed within 5 yards, and this takes away the quick slant, and the timing of any rub intended for a teammate trailing a man inside of yours

it also allows the db to keep position on a drag or other inside routes, and react to a fade

i'm so sick of watching receivers catching balls over the heads of DBs with their backs turned to the ball.. down close, you don't need get your hips turned as quick to run, because there's nowhere to run.. with a 2 yard head start. most DBs can back-pedal 10 yards before reacting to a fade other other outside route

guess it's me.. but i don't get it

If you have Gilmore and Drayton Florence or some other physical cb sure. But Darby isnt going to jam many CBs successfully. Also i dont think Gilmore is good at recovery he needs time to disect the play. He cant stay in the receivers pocket. And is vulnerable against double moves and slants.