What should Tyrod expect against the Pats D

Virgil

The real test of a new qb is how well they can handle the "looks" the Pats D throw at them. I think of all the times the Pats D have all 11 guys standing around the line of scrimmage and you have no idea who is coming. Now, with our running game goals, I don't think the Pats D can get away that. But still, how Tyrod handles himself, makes the right reads, and plays mistake free in this game will tell me what I need to know about him as a QB.

As of right now, I'm cautiously optimistic.

D'angelo Williams just shredded them.

They are going to have 7-8 in the box determined to not let that happen. They will make Taylor beat them. Shocker. That's how it's going to be every week. But not after this one. Tyrod's going to be big. Has to be.

Game plan needs to be pass to set up the run. I expect Woods Watkins and Harvin to get off. Turn Tyrod loose. I expect a close game, and playing it safe vs Brady = disaster.

If I'm Roman I'd also have about 50 screens ready to go.

Edited by Big Blitz

I expect Belichick to force Taylor into making decisions and keep him in the pocket much like the patriots did to Russel Wilson in the superbowl. I could see the patriots dropping most of their guys into coverage and leaving their edge rushes as spies to make Tyrod throw. I think the key to the game will be for the Bills to establish the threat of the running game early to protect Taylor. Taylor, due to lack of in game experience, is still raw at reading blitzes and making timely accurate throws in the pocket and I expect that Belichick will force this issue one way or another.

The Bills need to strike early and strike hard. Sammy Watkins will be needed in this game because Belichicks secondary will be up to the challenge and someone outside is going to need to take the game over for us. I also believe Clay will be a huge asset for us moving the chains on third downs

As for our defense. I believe Ryan will be hell-bent on making sure Gronk does not register on the stat sheet. If the Bills defense dies because Julian Edelman catches 20 balls over the middle and takes lick after lick and still is able to get up then I think Rex will be OK taking his chances with that. Concussion protocol WILL stop him from playing this time (totally had one in the Superbowl)

We shall see.

Edited by TallskiWallski83

I think they will drop a lot of guys into coverage and have a spy-- force him to be patient and go through his progressions and not run.

I kind of hope we spread them out with 4 and 5 WR sets; they won't be able to cover our best guys spread out like that.

I wouldn't mind seeing that myself, though they're going to need a MUCH better performance from #66 to make that work.

66 was good in pass pro IIRC. His run blocking left a lot to be desired.

I have to watch the all 22 tomorrow to be sure, I just wasn't impressed with his performance. Spreading them out, with the speed the Bills are capable of deploying, would put a ton of pressure on the P*ts' secondary. I'm a fan of that plan because frankly I think that's their biggest weakness.

D'angelo Williams just shredded them. They are going to have 7-8 in the box determined to not let that happen. They will make Taylor beat them. Shocker. That's how it's going to be every week. But not after this one. Tyrod's going to be big. Has to be. Game plan needs to be pass to set up the run. I expect Woods Watkins and Harvin to get off. Turn Tyrod loose. I expect a close game, and playing it safe vs Brady = disaster. If I'm Roman I'd also have about 50 screens ready to go.

I'm wondering when the screens are going to get busted out. We kept hearing about them being practiced a lot in training camp.

I'm hoping to see some pistol formation with draw plays and screens as well. We need to re-create the success the Steelers had again them running the ball. I want to see Sammy up again Butler. I think we have to take shots against their DB's.

The real test of a new qb is how well they can handle the "looks" the Pats D throw at them. I think of all the times the Pats D have all 11 guys standing around the line of scrimmage and you have no idea who is coming. Now, with our running game goals, I don't think the Pats D can get away that. But still, how Tyrod handles himself, makes the right reads, and plays mistake free in this game will tell me what I need to know about him as a QB.

As of right now, I'm cautiously optimistic.

Rex' word on Tyrod is that "it's difficult to fool him". If it's true he's got a photographic memory and a penchant for studying the game, he will hopefully be able to make good educated guesses as to what's coming. I know on D, Rex prepares detailed charts trying to suss out opponent's tendencies with down and distance in different kinds of weather etc. I would expect that Roman is cut from the same cloth and will be coaching Tyrod not to be taken in by the cloud of misdirection.

Tyrod should expect the unexpected.

And of course, some cheating, since it is the Cheatriots.

"Move!"

Rex' word on Tyrod is that "it's difficult to fool him". If it's true he's got a photographic memory and a penchant for studying the game, he will hopefully be able to make good educated guesses as to what's coming. I know on D, Rex prepares detailed charts trying to suss out opponent's tendencies with down and distance in different kinds of weather etc. I would expect that Roman is cut from the same cloth and will be coaching Tyrod not to be taken in by the cloud of misdirection.

"Move!"

the booth yesterday referred to Tyrod as young and inexperienced. T is not a kid. He has just been hiding in Baltimore for four years. He will have more fans on his bus after Sunday!

Lots of hands in passing lanes

A lot of zone with DB's facing the LOS

Minimal blitzing, aside from some typical flooding of the A gaps

traffic jams within 5yrds of the LOS to bottle up McCoy and stifle any screen games

topside help rolled towards Sammy

a bunch of cheap shots at knees as soon as they're down 13

counter it with:

Clay behind the LB's

Harvin on the edges

Woods running digs on the hashes

late hits on Brady on 1stdown between the 20's

the booth yesterday referred to Tyrod as young and inexperienced. T is not a kid. He has just been hiding in Baltimore for four years. He will have more fans on his bus after Sunday!

He is not a kid, but he is inexperienced. It's one thing to watch film, it's another to read and interpret what the D is going to do in a few seconds every play.

I do think Belichek will stack the box and dare Taylor to beat him throwing. I think in Karlos, we may just have a back who can move the chains "in their face", and I think Taylor will show that he can go through his progressions and find the open man.

I am a bit afraid of cheap shots and injuries, even without Wilfork

Cheating and yelling "Shift"

Actually I thought their defense looked kind of slow last week.

Here's some all-22 from Bahhhhston

@BenVolin: Film Study: Pats goad Big Ben into handing off, 2015 will be The Return of the 2 Tight Ends and more from the All 22 http://t.co/l77HCnwZKM

@PatsPropaganda: ICYMI - My A22 review of the #Patriots defensive performance vs. Steelers. http://t.co/Q5CADAEjAf

Edited by YoloinOhio