Concerns on Clay's knee?

Reed83HOF

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter 21m21 minutes ago

Bills TE Charles Clay battling knee injuries, not new. Had knee drained at least 6 times last season in MIA. Dr.'s concerned about longevity

Jay Skurski @JaySkurski 2m2 minutes ago

BN Blitz: Report: Concerns rise over #Bills TE Charles Clay's knee http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/09/13/report-concerns-rise-over-charles-clays-knee/

might be time to draft a quality TE

wasnt mentioned at the time, but seemed more like his agent knew he could get more money elsewhere so he didn't sign there. They certainly were trying to sign him long term until the last minute. I would think the TE they did sign has more issues with concussion, shoulder, etc.

and they guaranteed him a whole lot less.

i dont expect every detail to come out but they may well have said this is the number, and if he goes to buffalo for a helluva lot more maybe he breaks down and thats great too. us with byrds issues being an example where outside of kirby we hadnt heard a lot of that worry that seems to be proving worthwhile, and we were interested in a deal til the end.

that said, any signing is a roll of the dice. he looked nice and nimble yesterday though!

Edited by NoSaint

I think it was second half. He slipped when trying to plant, and fell awkwardly. Hopefully just one of those "it'll be sore tomorrow" things.

Yeah, I remember the play. I got really nervous live, but the replay appeared to just be a slip on a wet field.

Yeah, I remember the play. I got really nervous live, but the replay appeared to just be a slip on a wet field.

True, but he had a slight limp on the way back to the huddle...

Clay got up gingerly after an out and I got nervous. It looked like he hurt his knee

I was going to post this as well. It was in the flat when we were pinned deep on the scoreboard side. When he went down, he got up gingerly and was limping a bit. Scared the crap out of me.

Clay's a good player for you guys. Hated to lose him, but we had something else to blow our money on.

Edited to add - oh yeah, he was limited last year due to that knee. Seems like he missed a couple games. I never thought having it drained, in itself, was harmful, but yeah, that makes sense.

Edited by Agua

What exactly is being drained, and why is it a recurrent problem?

Big picture: Excess fluid builds up in the knee joint and can impede movement. It helps restore movement if the fluid is building up in a defined area, the Dr can stick a needle in it and drain the excess fluid, because otherwise it takes weeks-months to reabsorb and restore range of motion. Small picture: the knee has 3 bursa (thin walled fluid-filled cavities). Bursae cushion and provide a lubricated surface for the tendons near major joints.

The real question is "why is the fluid building up and where?" Bursitis can result from traumatic injury, repetitive use injury, torn cartilage, tendonitis, muscle strain or tear, sprain, rheumatoid arthritis - I'm sure I'm missing a few - anything which makes the tissue think "hey, need more lubrication here". Obviously some of those causes are worse news than others, and some could indicate need for a surgical procedure. After rest and recovery, a proper strengthening regimen focused on the little stabilizing muscles that the usual equipment doesn't hit can really help.

But if a player has a knee injury and plays through it, it's not a shock that he'd need repeated drainings and probably cortisone injections through the season because it will never really have time to fully heal. I've heard it's not uncommon towards the end of the season that the entire OL is getting repeated knee drainings and injections.

Too much answer?

It was in jest, but I am hopeful!

No no no. You're Read83HOF.

I'm Hopeful.

Edited by Hopeful