John Clayton Opinion Means Nothing

HailMary

John Clayton needs to do some homework on the Bills before sharing his opinion. I bet he hasn't watched any highlights of Tyrod Taylor and gives his opinion on what he thinks not what he sees. Collects weekly dough for his time on WGR without watching this team.

typical national guy no idea whats going on locally- he a good information guy very good where free agents are going. But thats it

Anyone would've picked Cassel back in June. By default. Most people had Cassel until the Cleveland game. This is nothing.

Ya know, the 'every sports writer, insider, talking head, columnist are all a bunch of hacks' narrative is SO freaking stale.

Anyone ? You Fc Schoop and Bulldog and Vabills that's 5. No one else wants to see Cassel step near the field.

Yea dude. Who wouldn't want that dumpster fire starting for their team. 8-8 here we come again !

Ragarms forever !!

Edited by Ryan L Billz

I thINk all skepticism is warranted until he shows what he can do in the regular season. Did any of us expect outsiders to be excited about Tyrod Talor?

My thoughts exactly. The Bills are historically a losing team until they prove otherwise. Just WIN BABY!!! and that perception goes away...

Anyone ? You Fc Schoop and Bulldog and Vabills that's 5. No one else wants to see Cassel step near the field.

Yea dude. Who wouldn't want that dumpster fire starting for their team. 8-8 here we come again !

Ragarms forever !!

When Cassel was cut, I said, o.k. that's it, we're all in on Tyrod, this is a new era. When he was re-signed and made the # 2 QB, I said, o.k., so maybe there's just a little bit of trepidation there, bringing back a Kyle Orton-style safety net in case the young QB just doesn't cut it. And I think that's an honest assessment. I hope to hell we don't have to see Cassel this year, but he wouldn't be around if the Bills brass had zero doubts about Tyrod ...

Anyone would've picked Cassel back in June. By default. Most people had Cassel until the Cleveland game. This is nothing.

Ya know, the 'every sports writer, insider, talking head, columnist are all a bunch of hacks' narrative is SO freaking stale.

Say WHAT? LOL ROTFLMAO PIP

ABC Club. I'm not just a member I'm the president!!!

this v

Ragarms forever !!

And please don't use WNY local media as most guys.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

This happens for the reason I've stated: bias, and to a lesser degree, laziness and incompetence.

These guys are paid to be experts on NFL football.

The problem is: the Bills represent a puzzle. They are a very hard team to pin down. How is anyone truly supposed to be an expert on them at this point in time? (A Peter King type should just come out and say: "I have no F'ing idea what the Bills are going to be, and they have a huge floor to ceiling range". Then the herd of sports experts would follow.)

You take these 2 things together, and:

1. add in the fact that actually solving the Bills puzzle would require hours and hours of hard work?

2. add in the fact that these guys are constantly being told to push big market teams/ignore small market teams?

There's every reason to just say "Cassel" now, do no work/say nothing that might expose them as no better than this board....and then(wait and watch for this), call the Bills a "surprise" later.

"Suprise" in sports media means "I was completely wrong about this guy/team, but here's my complimentary way of diverting your attention onto him/them, and away from my stupidity".

EDIT: In fact, I've heard people talking about getting Tyrod a new nickname. Instead of T-Mobile?

Let's get it over with now: Tyrod Surprise!

Edited by OCinBuffalo

The media may not be excited about Tyrod, but a bunch of players and coaches that have been around him are. And I think that is more telling.

Yes, players and coaches on the same team as the QB often have negative things to say about the QB.

Taylor could end up anywhere between a horror show and a pleasant find. To pretend that anyone's opinion is more important than anyone else's in this matter is ridiculous. Let's wait and see what happens.

Thank you for this stunning insight, OP. I shall return the favor: Water is Wet.

Yes, players and coaches on the same team as the QB often have negative things to say about the QB.

While I think Taylor will be mediocre at best...there were an awful lot of Ravens congratulating him on winning the starting job.

Taylor could end up anywhere between a horror show and a pleasant find. To pretend that anyone's opinion is more important than anyone else's in this matter is ridiculous. Let's wait and see what happens.

I didn't realize Tyrod was still on the Ravens, or on the Falcons, or on the Broncos...

Cassel is not the answer. It's basically more of Orton. 6 yard passes and field goals. TT may not be the answer, but he is exciting to watch at this point.

I'm praying he is the spark we need to make this a championship team. God, I cannot wait for tomorrow!! My boys are coming over my house, and we are going to have a blast cheering for our team.

For everyone who lives up there, and going to the game, if any of you have a voice Monday, I'll be seriously disappointed in you. Make sure you have no voice.

Go Bills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ragarms forever !!

Clearly you don't understand what I said. No one in the world WANTED Cassel as the starter ever. I wanted Taylor or Manuel to emerge like every other Bills fan. I said the smart money was on Cassel as of 2-3 months ago. Of course it was. That's why every last poll you saw ranking the qb's assumed Cassel as the Bills' starter. Please stop trying to paint me as a Cassel guy based on nothing I've ever said. Edited by metzelaars_lives

Clearly you don't understand what I said. No one in the world WANTED Cassel as the starter ever. I wanted Taylor or Manuel to emerge like every other Bills fan. I said the smart money was on Cassel as of 2-3 months ago. Of course it was. That's why every last poll you saw ranking the qb's assumed Cassel as the Bills' starter. Please stop trying to paint me as a Cassel guy based on nothing I've ever said.

the smart money? Like Vegas?? ABC. /ABC was money in the bank for the house

though similar these are not the same

Most people had Cassel until the Cleveland game.

I didn't realize Tyrod was still on the Ravens, or on the Falcons, or on the Broncos...

Come on - former teammates and coach was his point. They could be friends that are slanted. They could also be the only guys that have had a chance to see how great he really is though.

Seems kubiak liked him, but only to a degree.

Obviously our guys like him more than the other options. A score for TT or knock on the others we will see. Live bullets are coming soon. Can he start fast? Possibly. Can he keep it up if he does? I hope so.

The guy is at best a mystery. We would be celebrating his starting on a division rival. He very well could succeed but it's not a "gimme." I suspect if he went to UVA instead of vtech you wouldn't be quite as excited/confident. Nothing wrong with being a fan though...

the OP is probably talking about John Clayton's interview with the guys at WGR just now. he said that Tyrod hasn't done anything impressive or that would make you go wow. he thinks that the Bills will lose the first 2 games and be out of it and they might wish they had gone with Cassel.

I usually like John Clayton's take, but he's acting as if he can see into his crystal ball and see that we would likely win the first two with Cassel. There is nothing to suggest that Cassel is any more equipped to run this offense than any of the other quarterbacks on the roster. Nothing.

Sure, we may be 0-2. We may be 1-1. We may be 2-0. These detracting opinions are meaningless.

Tyrod is big risk big reward, We know that already though. I'd rather take the chance of having him be something great than be stuck with a mediocre QB like Cassel. Worst case, he can still run around and make plays with his feet and then we always have Cassel and EJ ready to go in if we need them. But I'm excited to see what Tyrod can do. And if "experts" around the league are skeptical then so be it

Clearly you don't understand what I said. No one in the world WANTED Cassel as the starter ever. I wanted Taylor or Manuel to emerge like every other Bills fan. I said the smart money was on Cassel as of 2-3 months ago. Of course it was. That's why every last poll you saw ranking the qb's assumed Cassel as the Bills' starter. Please stop trying to paint me as a Cassel guy based on nothing I've ever said.

Why do you like Cassel so much? The guys a bum. My 5 year old can throw it farther than he can.