Karlos Williams officially #2 RB, earned in training camp

YoloinOhio

@mikerodak: Bills RB coach Anthony Lynn says that Karlos Williams earned No. 2 job in training camp before injury and is expected to return to that role

@TyDunne: Lynn added that all of his backs, Williams included, look healthy. Thinks time off could've actually helped LeSean McCoy.

Good work, Karlos! Also saw that it was a competition between Bryce and Karlos for the #2 position for most of camp. Looks like Boobie was more or less a lock for ST alone.

I don't suppose Lynn had anything to say about Fred? Would be interested in what he had to say.

Good work, Karlos! Also saw that it was a competition between Bryce and Karlos for the #2 position for most of camp. Looks like Boobie was more or less a lock for ST alone.

I don't suppose Lynn had anything to say about Fred? Would be interested in what he had to say.

We have two sets of backs with similar skills... I like it

Karlos is a monster runner. I am confident he will be good when he gets the football.

My biggest question with him is, will he read pressure properly and pick up blitzers anywhere near as well as Fred Jackson did? That remains a question that could end up haunting the Bills if he is not good at it.

I think Karlos is going to improve the Bills' rushing attack a lot which is what this coaching staff seems to be all about. So I am glad he is here.

I wonder if that has more to do with his ability to be a hard 3rd down/short yardage guy.... I think Bryce will be used to spell Shady more than Williams, but hey- I'm wrong all the time, Lol

Short yardage, probably a better bettering ram than shady. But McCoy is probably the best 3rd down back in the NFL if you consider play making ability in space. He's likely not coming out situationally by design unless they need a bulldozer to get them a yard.

I wonder if that has more to do with his ability to be a hard 3rd down/short yardage guy.... I think Bryce will be used to spell Shady more than Williams, but hey- I'm wrong all the time, Lol

Thunder and lightning, baby.

I look at them both as starters, kind of. 1a and 1b.

Bryce is McCoy's backup and Boobie is Karlos' backup.

Lets bust out the Wing-T.

Felton with McCoy and Harvin?

Felton with McCoy and Karlos Williams?

Felton with Dixon and Karlos Williams?

Felton with Karlos Williams and Clay?

Seriously, the skillsets by these guys are amazing. I just hope it translates on paper. The fact that Harvin and Clay both have experience in the backfield is absolutely amazing.

Karlos is a monster runner. I am confident he will be good when he gets the football.

My biggest question with him is, will he read pressure properly and pick up blitzers anywhere near as well as Fred Jackson did? That remains a question that could end up haunting the Bills if he is not good at it.

I think Karlos is going to improve the Bills' rushing attack a lot which is what this coaching staff seems to be all about. So I am glad he is here.

I could be wrong, but I think the responsibility for picking up blitzers may fall more on the TE and FB in Roman's 2 TE/2 back sets. Roman is known for using 2 TE and a FB

Kind of a nice article about it here

3 yards and a cloud of dust baby! Bring back the leather helmets.

Can't we rescind the head slap, and no 5 yards for full contact for receivers. Can you imagine Mario Williams doing what Deacon Jones did in the 60's. Supposedly before they recorded sacks, with his head slap had 36 sacks in a 14 game season.

Here's to seeing Luck and Brady on their butts all game long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bills website lists Dixon as the #2, and Williams 3rd, Brown 4th.

Forgive me, but perhaps I missed something here. From what I saw in the only pre season game he played against Carolina Williams had 14 rushes for 40 yards and a TD = 2.8 YPC avg.

You want your Thunder to average 5 YPC?

Forgive me, but perhaps I missed something here. From what I saw in the only pre season game he played against Carolina Williams had 14 rushes for 40 yards and a TD = 2.8 YPC avg.

they are going by practices as well as games. They aren't going to base the decision on one preseason game where they don't even play the whole game. Keep in mind all of the RBs still on the team played very little in the games (and in camp) due to their various injuries. He did play in the scrimmage as well.

Also, the stat line is just that. The film is more telling. If you saw him play in the game, it was pretty darn good.

Edited by YoloinOhio

He did about Fred, sorry I don't have the link but it was in a Tweet, he essentially said that if Fred can get cut, anyone can...and that's a good thing.

Brown will be on the inactive list most weeks; just like last season.

Can you imagine Freddy suffering the same fate here? It was merciful giving him a chance to sign elsewhere.

GO BILLS!!!

This is what I've been telling friends. Nobody here would deal with Freddy being relegated to that role.

Good for Karlos. Hopefully it will be good for the Bills too. I'm sorry, I just don't get the Karlos love. He wasn't a starter in college. He is a 5th round draft pick. In PS he played one game and had 14 carries for 40 yards. He had one 10 yard run, so do the math, the other 13 he got 30 yards. I saw him get stuffed at the line several times in that game. Was not impressed. I didn't watch all the practices so I can't really comment on that. But the games are what counts IMHO.

I'm not saying he's not good or won't be good, I just haven't seen it yet. Show me on the field.

I suppose Rex saw something and I hope he's right. I'll be rooting for him of course.

He's big, I'll give him that.

Go BILLS!!

Edited by reddogblitz

Good for Karlos. Hopefully it will be good for the Bills too. I'm sorry, I just don't get the Karlos love. He wasn't a starter in college. He is a 5th round draft pick. In PS he played one game and had 14 carries for 40 yards. He had one 10 yard run, so do the math, the other 13 he got 30 yards. I saw him get stuffed at the line several times in that game. Was not impressed. I didn't watch all the practices so I can't really comment on that. But the games are what counts IMHO.

I'm not saying he's not good or won't be good, I just haven't seen it yet. Show me on the field.

I suppose Rex saw something and I hope he's right. I'll be rooting for him of course.

Go BILLS!!

Who cares about stats? His purpose is to soften up the middle of that D so that McCoy is breaking off 80 yard runs in the 2nd half and securing the Bills' victory.

Karlos is a rookie who is relatively new to the position. He's almost the same size as Boobie and Bryce, and the fastest of the bunch. The Bills should have cut Brown, promoted Karlos to Boobie's spot at RB & ST, kept Fred as RB, and made Boobie the deactivated RB.

Karlos is a rookie who is relatively new to the position. He's almost the same size as Boobie and Bryce, and the fastest of the bunch. The Bills should have cut Brown, promoted Karlos to Boobie's spot at RB & ST, kept Fred as RB, and made Boobie the deactivated RB.

Fascinating idea. Refreshing.

Sorry Bryce has a faster 40 time. Get it straight.

Barring injury I don't see Karlos even getting 20% of the carries

Yeah. It'll depend on his performance. Roman runs a lot. There will be a good mix of all the backup RBs, plus Tyrod.

If his offenses in SF are any indication, McCoy will get just over 50%, with the QB and backup RB about 15% each.

If Shady is healthy I expect whomever is behind him might get at most 8 rushes a game. To me Karlos is going to be our goal line back and might occasionally spell McCoy in short yardage situations. I suspect early on Brown might stay active to replace McCoy until we know he's back leaving Boobie inactive early on. Also as the season wares on as people get healthy we could also see guys like Thigpen and maybe Goodwin get less and less playing time and maybe one of them get cut if McKelvin comes back as he could return as our primary punt returner and starting CB like he did in the 10 games we saw him play last year.

I could be wrong, but I think the responsibility for picking up blitzers may fall more on the TE and FB in Roman's 2 TE/2 back sets. Roman is known for using 2 TE and a FB

Kind of a nice article about it here

Thanks for that link to the Robert Quinn piece; for this non-player it was one of the most helpful / insightful X's and O's discussions I've ever seen. But it really didn't contain anything on blitz pickups, did it? Any of you experts care to weigh in on whether Hopeful (classic moniker, btw) is correct on this? Seems relevant to the discussion of Karlos...and for that matter, Shady, too.

Edited by Rhode Island Red

At this time last year, fans were sure we had the leagues greatest 1-2 RB with Spiller and Jackson. Same thing in 2012. RB has been depreciated in value by the rest of the league for a reason.

The odds of an Adrian Petersen vs. LeSean McCoy super bowl are considerably less than an Aaron Rodgers vs. Tom Brady Super Bowl

Sorry Bryce has a faster 40 time. Get it straight.

People must love you. Such a nice gentleman. I hate to point out your error - it's never pleasant proving wrong such a kind person - however I don't want you to keep making unfortunate boo-boos.

Karlos timed faster than Bryce.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=119349&draftyear=2015&genpos=RB

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=119349&draftyear=2015&genpos=RB

Go BILLS!!

Good points. I'm with you on this one as I don't get it either. I want to see him make some yards in actual game play before i give the kid a nickname.

I can't help but think as a rookie he will be a liability as a blocker on pass plays as all rookies usually are, and his main purpose will be as a grinder / power runner in short yardage. That is after Dixon tires as the #2 backup because I just don't see how anyone can conclude this 5th rounder deserves to be the primary backup just yet. Bryce Brown out performed all the Bills RB's still on the roster this pre season, and he is 4th.

Anyway, I'll be cheering whomever is carrying the ball for the Bills too.

@mikerodak

Bills' Anthony Lynn says Bryce Brown will have to carve out role on special teams, will be depth option at RB: http://es.pn/1ivcSMi

ouch. Lynn has been pretty quiet till the roster was defined

At this time last year, fans were sure we had the leagues greatest 1-2 RB with Spiller and Jackson. Same thing in 2012. RB has been depreciated in value by the rest of the league for a reason.

The odds of an Adrian Petersen vs. LeSean McCoy super bowl are considerably less than an Aaron Rodgers vs. Tom Brady Super Bowl

Its true

But please keep in mind Roman is bucking the trend. i am not just making that up either.

But thats not why Greg will be successful.

I think as mentioned, as the season goes along he will be used and abused to grind the toughstuff.and will break some with that speed. But he is a bruiser at heart i guess. I have no idea what his ceiling is.