Why Roman's diverse offensive scheme has Bills thinking big

YoloinOhio

Roman spent the 2006 and 2007 seasons in Baltimore with the Ravens when Rex Ryan was the team's defensive coordinator.

One can't help but think Roman borrowed ideas from Ryan's ultra-complex, blitz-crazy defense; confuse the opposition with an assortment of personnel packages, employ many pre-snap shifts and make sure to be rock-solid in the trenches.

When you think about it, the two schemes basically mirror each other.

This is the lesson I hoped Roman learned - find an OC whose scheme works with his defense scheme and keep his fingers out of it other than as a defense strategist telling OC how he would attack offense as a DC. Other lessons he should have learned such as meshing well with GM (I think he learned), treating the press like a bunch of IRS auditors paid per fine (he didn't) and never over estimate quality of QBs (not sure) are important but not as the matching of offense and defense. The Bills during the Superbowl era had that problem - the offense would tire out the defense.

Saw this and thought it was interesting --

@AndrewSiciliano: Colin Kaepernick's preseason:

3 games

5/13

40 yards

I dont put a lot of stock in preseason numbers, but those are startling.

And sacked 3 times

That is bad but 13 attempts shows he didn't play much. Without a run heavy team Kap may go the way of other spread option QBs

The thing I found most interesting in that piece was the quote from I think urbik, that said that last year their whole run game philosophy was inside zone. I think we all knew hacketts offense last year was very vanilla, but my gosh, that's awful. No wonder CJ and Fred had such a huge drop in production after chan left. I'm looking forward to seeing our offense this year. I can't remember the last time I've said that!

Edited by Giaimo25

The thing I found most interesting in that piece was the quote from urbik, that said that last year their whole run game philosophy was inside zone.

I think we all new hacketts offense last year was very vanilla, but my gosh, that's awful. No wonder CJ and Fred had such a huge drop in production after chan left. I'm looking forward to seeing our offense this year. I can't remember the last time I've said that!

Holy crap, Erik Pears at RG! :w00t:

So far its downright amazing to see what two competent OG's can do for a team without any. The run game improves immensely and so does the pass blocking.

This year the O line might go from a liability near worst in the league to top 15 simply because of the better OG play, and a years experience for the RT. Having a solid LG should also improve the LT & centers play around him, and they can now focus on their own jobs.

This was a big reason why I loved Fred Jackson so much, as the man could still make yards behind literally the worst run blocking line in the league last year. The Bills think he lost a step because he only averaged 3.7 yards per carry, and Spiller was down to 3.8 YPC. :doh:

Saw this and thought it was interesting --

@AndrewSiciliano: Colin Kaepernick's preseason:

3 games 5/13 for 40 yards

I dont put a lot of stock in preseason numbers, but those are startling.

And sacked 3 times

Erik Pears at RT :lol:

Thanks for posting the article YoloinOhio!

While I love the Bills new heavy run based offensive attack so much! It really begged the question as to why Colin Kaepernick regressed so much as the starting QB last year? Only 8-8 in that run heavy offense?

Now after reading that Harbaugh took over the offensive play calling in November, and started calling a pass heavy offense might just be the reason why.

While the 49ers won 3 straight in Nov (Saints-NYG-Redskins)after losing a close game to the rams. They then went on a four game nosedive 2x to Seattle, and the Raiders-Chargers which cost them the season.

I'll be honest. I was worried about Greg Romans run heavy offense in Buffalo because it looked so bad last season in San Fran, and now I know why!

We needn't worry about Rex taking over the play calling duties from Roman :lol:

I was worried about a Roman offense when the appointment was first mooted, however, having gone back and read about the 9ers offense and re-watched the coaches film on some of their games I became much more comfortable.

We will have a good running game - I am convinced of that. Will the passing game match it? Who knows but if it does then watch out.... because we would go from a team with a shot of the play-offs to a team with a shot of the Superbowl

Somebody ought to share this with Jerry Sullivan. When he was on Sirius last week he made fun of the Bills' antiquated ground-and-pound philosophy, proving yet again that none of his opinions carry more weight than your typical bulletin board post.

This is the lesson I hoped Roman learned - find an OC whose scheme works with his defense scheme and keep his fingers out of it other than as a defense strategist telling OC how he would attack offense as a DC. Other lessons he should have learned such as meshing well with GM (I think he learned), treating the press like a bunch of IRS auditors paid per fine (he didn't) and never over estimate quality of QBs (not sure) are important but not as the matching of offense and defense. The Bills during the Superbowl era had that problem - the offense would tire out the defense.

Really. That defense was average. They couldn't stop the run when it counted. That is why they were on the field for long. If the D took care of its business, may be that offense scores 40+ points every game.

I've already seen more creativity in the pre season than the past couple years on offense. We haven't even seen the real package that roman will throw out there and that is when we will get excited. To think the qb's could look even better than they have is interesting.

This is a quote from Urbik which stuck with me:

"Last year, our entire scheme was inside zone. That's all we did. Now we have everything. Inside, outside zone, lots of man, power. Everything."

Jeez, no wonder our offense stalled.

As for the article, I've also thought of Roman is Bizarro world Chip Kelly. Both use extensively drawn plays with a lot of movement, rely on keeping opponents on the field to wear them out and are willing to forgo giant plays for a continual string of plays that get you 5 yards a pop.

The difference is that Chip does it with a lightning fast passing game and spread attacks to run it from the shotgun with a one cut runner, while Roman forces 8 or 9 men in the box to give favorable passing matchups.

don't know where Trapasso's getting his info on what he's describing as 'package plays'.. they've been installed in various collegiate offenses over the years as 'play option pass', or 'pop' plays. in fact the diagram offered in the OP's link can be seen executed here - http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/9/5/6110155/pop-pass-seahawks-pete-carroll-auburn- in an article where Carrol gives credit to Auburn's Malzahn as it's creator.

i love this weapon, as it give the QB multiple run/ pass options, and referenced it often on the Wall.. the only concern is it's transformation from college to the pro game and the timing of the pass option read in connection with the blocking scheme of the called run - as downfield linemen will ruin it. but it's a perfect complement to IZ where D linemen will wash down the line.

in my included link you can watch Russell make the following reads:

1. DE washing down the line - Russell pulls ball back out of mesh with Lynch

2. scraping LB exchanging outside contain with DE - Russell looks for pass option

3. crashing CB - Russell hits unattended #83

cool stuff, right?

the OP's link gives a very good example of how Roman can beat you by formation, and understanding the defensive responsibilities

on that play

1. the DE properly reacts to RT's inside combo block and steps up to force contain Kaep on the keeper

2. the LB properly reacts to pulling LG as possible 'power' to his gap and breaks down to engage

3. DBs are in one-on-one with three receivers

the proper reactions of both the LB and DE left them no time to recover to defend the hand-off, and the three levels of defenders forced to shed blocks turns this into a punt return.

just to add a wrinkle..

Kaep probably would have gotten positive yards by cutting inside his LG's block.

and another wrinkle related to 'pop'..

if the flexed TE's defender aggressively attacks and makes a play here - the next time, the QB could pull up and hit the TE in the flat with the same two blockers upfield. just keep those linemen in their inside power schemes.

it's definitely gonna be fun to watch how Roman tinkers with all this.

Edited by BackInDaDay

don't know where Trapasso's getting his info on what he's describing as 'package plays'.. they've been installed in various collegiate offenses over the years as 'play option pass', or 'pop' plays. in fact the diagram offered in the OP's link can be seen executed here - http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/9/5/6110155/pop-pass-seahawks-pete-carroll-auburn- in an article where Carrol gives credit to Auburn's Malzahn as it's creator.

i love this weapon, as it give the QB multiple run/ pass options, and referenced it often on the Wall.. the only concern is it's transformation from college to the pro game and the timing of the pass option read in connection with the blocking scheme of the called run - as downfield linemen will ruin it. but it's a perfect complement to IZ where D linemen will wash down the line.

in my included link you can watch Russell make the following reads:

1. DE washing down the line - Russell pulls ball back out of mesh with Lynch

2. scraping LB exchanging outside contain with DE - Russell looks for pass option

3. crashing CB - Russell hits unattended #83

cool stuff, right?

the OP's link gives a very good example of how Roman can beat you by formation, and understanding the defensive responsibilities

on that play

1. the DE properly reacts to RT's inside combo block and steps up to force contain Kaep on the keeper

2. the LB properly reacts to pulling LG as possible 'power' to his gap and breaks down to engage

3. DBs are in one-on-one with three receivers

the proper reactions of both the LB and DE left them no time to recover to defend the hand-off, and the three levels of defenders forced to shed blocks turns this into a punt return.

just to add a wrinkle..

Kaep probably would have gotten positive yards by cutting inside his LG's block.

and another wrinkle related to 'pop'..

if the flexed TE's defender aggressively attacks and makes a play here - the next time, the QB could pull up and hit the TE in the flat with the same two blockers upfield. just keep those linemen in their inside power schemes.

it's definitely gonna be fun to watch how Roman tinkers with all this.

yet another intriguing post with details.

Because Roman will be running the O and Rex knows his own strengths, this team is going to be fun to watch. More fun to watch how other teams defend the Bills.

One thing i did notice preseason was the O line's ones seemed in tune with one another. thats what i am going to watch mostly.

i think the play calling, and then pre snap movement ( adjustments ) are as interesting as the play in action. So unlike last season i am pretty stoked to see what this guy Greg does. each snap each set of downs each qtr each game depending on opponent.

ty

BItD