Tony Stewart makes the team

Well if you don't know his name you probably shouldn't criticize him. It's Steward.

He made it for a few different reasons. ST. Versatility (he learned one LB spot well and they just switched him to learn a different one so he can play both). Plus raw talent. He was actually the top LB recruit in the entire nation and seventh rated player overall. Then had two knee surgeries early in his college career and battled back from them, regaining his speed, which is fairly remarkable. So there is a lot of raw talent to work with and Rex and his defensive guys think they can build a good player out of a tough, fast, strong LB with a great work ethic.

Oh, and there was not a lot of competition for the backup spot once Powell went down. Ha.

Isn`t he friends with Rex`s son.

He played on the same team at Clemson. Likely friends to some degree but I think the report was he asked his son if Steward was any good and his son said yes, he's really talented. Whaley and his scouts would be making that kind of call. Rex is surely asked what he thinks and he saw Steward play up close a couple times so that could influence the selection. I doubt it entered Steward making the team. And he still may not if we pick up a decent LB in the next day. It's Steward or Tarpley and Tarpley has looked good.

This isn't HS. Yeah he went to Clemson, Rex may watch their games a little closer than other schools, but if he doesn't have the talent, he's not on the team. It happens often with coaches giving other coaches jobs becasue they went ot their alum or are buddy with the coach at another school, but how many adults give any type of job other than maybe washing their car to their sons friend.

Steward ,Stewart,doesn`t matter much to me. Can`t remember him as a wow factor.

Steward ,Stewart,doesn`t matter much to me. Can`t remember him as a wow factor.

i don't think he made the team just because he played for Clemson. Others who played there didn't make the team. No idea if he is friends with his son just because they were on the same team.

i don't think he made the team just because he played for Clemson. Others who played there didn't make the team. No idea if he is friends with his son just because they were on the same team.

The only reason Sammy didn't get cut is because he went to Clemson and knows Rex Ryan's kid.

And he still may not if we pick up a decent LB in the next day. It's Steward or Tarpley and Tarpley has looked good.

Yeah, he'd be easy to PS if they find someone with more experience on the waiver wire.

They have to cut a guy when McLuv'n comes back in six weeks and he'd be a good candidate as well...

Plus I don't get the politics part even if they are friends. Politics is in college Football where you need the recruiting pipelines in the high schools. Does Rex care that much about making his son happy even if they are friends? He certainly doesn't need to make Dabo happy - no recruiting in the NFL.

How??? Politics. Did not show me much.

While I would guess he won't last on the roster one of the costs of trading Alonso was leaving yourself razor thin at LB.

Tony Steward was picked with the draft pick they should have relinquished for McCoy.

McCoy was going to be cut.

A lot of people look at the trade as player for player but it was player for negotiating rights.

The contract, in addition to some other personality factors, greatly offset McCoys trade value.

They simply overpaid and now somebody who has no business on a 53 man roster will be a reserve LB for the Bills.

The upside is that Rex can make modest talent at positions like LB work.

When he took over the Jets the perception was that he had the worst roster in the division.

Yet with a rookie QB and some seemingly washed out guys on D he took the Jets to an AFC championship game that year.

I think in some respects, the Bills wealth of individual talent up front will be underutilized as opposed to Schwartz star-driven scheme.....but after Dareus is locked up it should be cheaper going forward to stock the front 7.

Mario and Kyle will go by the wayside in the next 2-3 seasons and they can be replaced by much lesser individual talents.

Edited by #BADOL

Or maybe Ty Powell went down for the year and we're stupid thin at the position? AJ Tarpley made the team at the same position as a UDFA.

He might not have shown a whole lot - but he's still a decently decorated Clemson product we spent a draft pick on at a position with little depth. I'm not surprised regardless of relationship.

Tom Coughlin drafted his son in law. Who cares?