Perhaps OT? Timmy Graham's Twitter Pillow Fight

eball

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It really pains me that reporters I respect like Wawrow and Lori put this guy up on a pedestal. He's just not a good guy. I used to follow him, got blocked for some innocent sarcasm, then tried to reach out to him in an email and he made fun of me on Twitter, claiming I was "begging" to be unblocked.

Apparently he recently removed all blocks but I haven't re-followed. A friend told me about this incident so I looked it up.

TG shows up on my timeline because of others I follow.

Feel however you like. Tim is a very good friend and I will never apologize for that.

jw

WGR could man up and invite him on the show to discuss his reporting. That's what he wanted. They refuse, probably because it would've squashed the narrative they were trying to push.

Yep. Easy to call TG out on the air where he can't defend himself on the same platform. When you don't give the criticized an opportunity to defend themselves you can expect other "unfair" tactics in response.

The odd thing is, in the rant that I listened to on WGR, Howard never mentioned Tim Graham or TBN. He mentioned national outlets like ESPN.

I usually appreciate Tim Graham's reporting, but boy do some of these media guys have the thinnest of skins (that includes the guys at TBN and WGR).

Tim Graham suggested that he was saving his information re Coller (the bit about not playing which makes no difference to me me anyway).

Harrington tweeted last week that news outlets should shut down their comments section. Apparently, guys like him and Sully, Bucky, etc love to write hit pieces without being criticized.

WGR guys like to shut down callers if they dare have a QB take that is different from theirs.

It is hilarious that guys that love to dish it out cannot take it themselves.

As for the "rogue" comment itself, it depends on who interjected the word in the first instance - the source or TG. I do not have the answer to that.

I do believe that some at TBN have a narrative that they want to push re the Pegulas, the Sabres, and Bills. That includes Sully, Bucky, and Harrington, but does not include TG, Vic, and Tyler.

OK then, you got me. You posted your definition as I was typing. You ARE smarter than us!

You chose-

"acts independently and wayward from the usual group"

I chose-

"Operating outside normal or desirable controls" at best. (yes, i also gave an 'at worst' option)

You are the one struggling if you don't see the similarities in our chosen definitions.

Beyond that, DW did not act independently, nor did he operate outside of normal controls.

Hence, TG rogue article was total BS.

so he is a fiction writer too?

But isn't that the whole issue with graham's account? His sources insist that Whaley acted outside normal operating protocol. Just because Whaley ran the cut by Pegula doesn't mean he didn't bypassother channels that are usually in the loop.

That's why I think the Kryk article is spot on. Dashed line reporting responsibilities only work in well established organizations where there are clear lines of communication and accountability. They rarely work where the fiefdoms vie for control.

Edited by GG

The odd thing is, in the rant that I listened to on WGR, Howard never mentioned Tim Graham or TBN. He mentioned national outlets like ESPN.

I usually appreciate Tim Graham's reporting, but boy do some of these media guys have the thinnest of skins (that includes the guys at TBN and WGR).

Tim Graham suggested that he was saving his information re Coller (the bit about not playing which makes no difference to me me anyway).

Harrington tweeted last week that news outlets should shut down their comments section. Apparently, guys like him and Sully, Bucky, etc love to write hit pieces without being criticized.

WGR guys like to shut down callers if they dare have a QB take that is different from theirs.

It is hilarious that guys that love to dish it out cannot take it themselves.

As for the "rogue" comment itself, it depends on who interjected the word in the first instance - the source or TG. I do not have the answer to that.

I do believe that some at TBN have a narrative that they want to push re the Pegulas, the Sabres, and Bills. That includes Sully, Bucky, and Harrington, but does not include TG, Vic, and Tyler.

WGR wanted to use the content for ratings without crediting the source. Not out of integrity but because they knew it was good material but they don't want to give other outlets credit for better content than they can generate. :lol:

Coller new nickname is "Hoops". Like Cusack's character in the american classic "One Crazy Summer".

Edited by #BADOL

WGR could man up and invite him on the show to discuss his reporting. That's what he wanted. They refuse, probably because it would've squashed the narrative they were trying to push.

TG can tweet whatever he wants without waiting for a response (in this case, tweeting without a statement from Whaley), but nobody else can say anything without TG there to defend himself?

:rolleyes:

Sorry guys, it's one way or the other. TG said what he did and Whaley responded later with a simple and professional statement. TG apparently doesn't have that filter. Say whatever you want about his reporting, but his public persona invites this type of response, so defending him is pointless.

I don't mind Tim Graham getting more attention so it is certainly NOT the same argument. I don't give him too much credit, what he is doing is very simple. :beer:

The fact that it irks posters like eball, PTR or LABillzfan is ok with me because they have worked aggressively against open discussion of Bills topics for years.

You can question his sources all you want. I do not.

I found out long ago that fans perceive those involved with the NFL a great deal differently than they actually are.

They are just regular people in jobs that happen to involve fanatics for customers.

Regular people who will use the media when they feel wronged or undermined.

That's what happened here with the be-fredding.

But by calling out eball, PTR, LABillzfan, you're giving them more attention in this thread. You can't just ignore it? That's the same as telling them to ignore TG because they are only drawing more attention to him.

I never remotely questioned his sources.

People are free to disagree with whatever they want, including you as you are doing right now. Say something someone disagrees with, they're going to counter. Internet tough guys counter like thugs, and you are not above that yourself...just because you like to act like you're above it all at the same time you do it doesn't change that fact.

People specifically dislike TG because he WANTS to be disliked. He goes out of his way to make it so.

Edited by Acantha

I think Graham is a decent reporter, an excellent feature writer, and I find his back and forth with people who dislike him often pretty amusing. He's joking. Yes he comes across petty at times but he's always being sarcastic. I think it's pretty entertaining.

As far as this goes, "going rogue" has a very specific meaning and it surely was about Whaley not telling a few people in the organization before the Fred cut was made. I'm pretty sure Graham didn't use the term first, I believe he said two sources used it and told him. However true it was, I think it was very disingenuous of him to report it and let it hang there like he did because he's smart enough to know the implications. And he did backtrack a little when he started using the "some coaches" and "football ops" terms where you knew it was not El Petulante and Rex and Roman or any of the people that really matter.

I don't think he should have done it but he wasn't wrong.

TG can tweet whatever he wants without waiting for a response (in this case, tweeting without a statement from Whaley), but nobody else can say anything without TG there to defend himself?

Sorry guys, it's one way or the other. TG said what he did and Whaley responded later with a simple and professional statement. TG apparently doesn't have that filter. Say whatever you want about his reporting, but his public persona invites this type of response, so defending him is pointless.

The Whaley/TG tweet is another matter. I'm reacting to the Coller/TG spat. His reporting got called out based on the use of a word, I'm just saying it would've been prudent for WGR to invite him on for clarification.

Who said they COULDN'T?

Since they didn't provide TG with that opportunity he just questioned Hoops on his exaggerated basketball resume. Yapper discredited. Problem solved "ad hominem" style. :lol:

It's been very funny reading all of y'all bad takes in this thread but I gotta' go rogue from this conversation, summer beckons! :thumbsup:

The Whaley/TG tweet is another matter. I'm reacting to the Coller/TG spat. His reporting got called out based on the use of a word, I'm just saying it would've been prudent for WGR to invite him on for clarification.

I agree with you on what WGR (and all journalists) should do if you're looking at it in a vacuum. I just don't think that TG should expect better treatment than he gives.

As far as "irresponsible" journalism......."rogue" is a term that has a literal meaning....it also has a jagoff meaning for the people who learn the language from video games.....so :lol: it will be perceived differently by different intellects.

By using the term "rogue" Tim suggested Whaley went out on his own, and without the direct knowledge and consent of the other football decision makers. He should have known (and I believe, definately knew) it would come across as inflammatory and as an attack on the professionalism of Whaley. As a journalist, he should have gone out of his way to either: 1. Make clear the claim came from someone not typically associated with being involved with direct responsibility with regard to the cutting of players, so should be taken very lightly. or 2. Check out the claim before going with the report. That's what a responsible journalist does.

This rush to make headlines and get clicks (without fully checking the facts or explaining the questionable quality of the information) is the very antithesis of good professional journalism. You can make excuses for him, but you know this was a sloppy cheap-shot by Graham. Unfortunately, this has become standard procedure these days. And perhaps your opinion is warped by what gets called "news" these days. But it doesn't make it good journalism.

This rush to make headlines and get clicks (without fully checking the facts or explaining the questionable quality of the information) is the very antithesis of good professional journalism. You can make excuses for him, but you know this was a sloppy cheap-shot by Graham. Unfortunately, this has become standard procedure these days. And perhaps your opinion is warped by what gets called "news" these days. But it doesn't make it good journalism.

Well stated...

I think Graham wanted to stay because of he had elderly family members of ailing health, hence his heart being in Buffalo.......... but be sure to make your distaste for his social media/internet work personal. Yeah, you're a swell guy online. :rolleyes:

You're seriously trying to compare my anonymous online rantings at an obscure website dedicated to a consistently bad football team to a guy who has full national exposure as a Bills beat reporter?

He prods fan anxiety to his heart's desire, and equates a Twitter fight or refusing to acknowledge a football team's name to being intellectually superior.

The truth is...he's the Miley Cyrus of sports reporters. Unfortunately, everyone talking about him rubbing his crotch with a foam finger does not mean he's good at what he does. It means he's not good enough to stand on his own talents.