Bills cuts - round 2

YoloinOhio

@mikerodak

Bills have waived safety Jonathan Meeks after trying to trade him, I’m told. If not claimed, he could re-sign to practice squad.

Not that it matters but Alex Marvez said the Bills were trying to trade a WR in order to keep Meeks, but couldn't swing a deal. Makes me wonder which one. Would seem to have to be Hogan or Goodwin. No one is going to trade for Thigpen I don't believe. I doubt they would trade Easley or someone would trade for him.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that it matters but Alex Marvez said the Bills were trying to trade a WR in order to keep Meeks, but couldn't swing a deal. Makes me wonder which one. Would seem to have to be Hogan or Goodwin. No one is going to trade for Thigpen I don't believe. I doubt they would trade Easley or someone would trade for him.

Yeah, I posted the Marvez tweet.

@ChrisTrapasso

Meeks is a likely candidate for the #Bills PS.

I would not be surprised if the Bills were trying to trade Hogan or Goodwin. They are the kinds of guys you hate to give up for nothing but have each other to battle plus 3 guys ahead in pecking order. I starting to think they keep 7 including two mainly ST guys in Easley and Thigpen.

I still don't understand why they haven't released O'Leary yet. They must really think he'll be claimed and put on another team's 53.

The only thing I can think of is they may be trying to trade Gray or Gragg for a late round pick because they have similar skills and if they find a taker they will keep OLeary because they want to keep four.

It's also possible that despite his poor showing in the preseason they do really want him for the practice squad and they are just using this last 24 hours for another team looking for a backup TE to sign one and then no longer have a need to sign OLeary.

I still don't understand why they haven't released O'Leary yet. They must really think he'll be claimed and put on another team's 53.

Yeah, Meeks has certainly shown more than O'Leary.

Perhaps they want to aviod the Dolphins picking him up to gain some buzz about Grampa Jack being a season ticket holder...

The only thing I can think of is they may be trying to trade Gray or Gragg for a late round pick because they have similar skills and if they find a taker they will keep OLeary because they want to keep four.

It's also possible that despite his poor showing in the preseason they do really want him for the practice squad and they are just using this last 24 hours for another team looking for a backup TE to sign one and then no longer have a need to sign OLeary.

It's also possible that they want to take their time with the WR/TE because of all the injuries on the WR. I think the first players cut are the ones the coaches really had their mind made up about at the beginning of the week. They might have been saved by a rash of injuries or a really stellar performance in Game 4, but neither happened for them.

The final few cuts are the toughies - the ones where different position coaches demand to keep conflicting numbers of players and Whaley and his staff have to take time sifting through practice notes and film and talking it through with Rex and the coordinators; the ones where the position coaches themselves aren't clear on how they rank guys and have to go back and review a body of data with their bosses.

Injuries where guys are expected back slow things even further - need to check in each case is the timeline still unchanged, is there someone we should really IR, and so forth.

Who are DW and NH? Sorry but i have no clue what you are talking about.

Look at Goodwins stats.

DM autocorrected to DW with all the Whaley talk - it was referring to marrone and Hackett. No lineman were developing under them Edited by NoSaint

Goodwin to New Orleans is what I would like to see. Indoor, Brees, etc. Perfect for him. That or Houston.

Edited by Boyst62

I still have my fingers crossed that one is Cassel.

As much as i dislike his "Trent Edwards" style of safe pass play he is still a veteran QB for the young guys to lean on, and over 50% of the teams lost their starters last season at some point. so, its good to have that veteran presence, experience available should they need it.

I just wonder if its Cassel or EJ that is second on the depth chart. I'm thinking EJ.

As much as i dislike his "Trent Edwards" style of safe pass play he is still a veteran QB for the young guys to lean on, and over 50% of the teams lost their starters last season at some point. so, its good to have that veteran presence, experience available should they need it.

I just wonder if its Cassel or EJ that is second on the depth chart. I'm thinking EJ.

Vic Carucci said EJ took the 2nd team snaps at practice today. On a day where the team cut down to almost 53 and likely began their season prep in earnest, that speaks volumes. Cassel may be the #3.