EJ Will Start Pittsburgh Game

Dominik said that Rex is just starting EJ to be fair and that he has no trade value...fwiw. :D

He doesn't have any trade value since Whaley won't get anything close to what he cost initially. If he was able to pull off a 3rd rounder I would be surprised but I still don't think Whaley would pull the trigger on that.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His trade value can't be all that high at this point in preseason. The showcase for a trade doesn't compute for me. It's not as if Cassel is the long term answer for the Bills and Tyrod is unproven at this juncture. Even if EJ is the 2nd or 3rd QB, the possibility of injury makes it prudent to keep all three given the dregs that would be available in the QB market.

Exhibit A of said dregs:

@AroundTheNFL

Josh Johnson is the latest addition to the Jets' stable of quarterbacks http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000516730/article/backup-quarterback-news-roundup?

any reasonably sane man can see the Bills best keep all three for various reasons. Even Cassel

Dude, he's probably still #3. Everyone had/has him 3. Just watch the game on Saturday and form your own opinions. If it's so telling that EJ goes 1, are you guys gonna put a lot of stock into who goes 2? I'm not. I don't think it makes any difference at all.

That may be true WRT #3. How about we let the coaches decide

FTR who is everybody?

That may be true WRT #3. How about we let the coaches decide

FTR who is everybody?

Do you know of a beat reporter or an analyst or anyone who is familiar with the Bills situation who didn't/doesn't have EJ third- both with respect to how he's played throughout camp as well as the perception of where the coaches have/had him based on reps, etc.? There is not one that I have heard.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

It's fun to watch everyone speculate. IMO, this is really about them still not knowing who the QB is and deciding to give EJ a shot. The idea that they're having EJ play so they don't show their cards with the actual starter running the show is crazy. New QBs, new system, new coaches... If the starter had been decided he'd be playing the majority of the snaps this weekend. The benefit of practice reps far outweigh the element of surprise for one game.

Edited by BuffaloATL

I predicted it, and think it's the right thing to do.

Posted by Georgia Bill on 15 August 2015 - 10:02 AM in The Stadium Wall

Tyrod starts preseason game 2 (known), and I think it's EJ second in that game. Then EJ starts preseason game 3, with Cassel second, because this is still a wide open competition and they have to see how all of them play with our starting OL and receivers, against opposing starting defense.

the we are in full agreement. i am quite pleased you have come around to My way of thinking at long last.

I also want them to keep all three. Does anyone not want them to? A poster said a few weeks back that we can't afford to let this team become the 2014 Arizona Cardinals. I think we can win with any of these three guys- to varying extents, of course.

Of course Rex wants to win right away. But he also wants a long term answer at QB, and thus the reason for giving EJ a long look in pre season.

I'm happy the coaches are giving this chance to EJ, and it doesn't matter who starts the season at QB.

It only matters who plays well enough to get this team into the playoffs.

Of course Rex wants to win right away. But he also wants a long term answer at QB, and thus the reason for giving EJ a long look in pre season.

I'm happy the coaches are giving this chance to EJ, and it doesn't matter who starts the season at QB.

It only matters who plays well enough to get this team into the playoffs.

I could go with that. What are we putting the odds at one guy starting all 16 games? 10%? Maybe 15?

:lol: I haven't advocated getting rid of any of these guys. I just would rather see EJ or TT start as I've posted before.........ABC.

I dont think you get my sense of humor yet 26. I really dont take any of this opinion or media stuff seriously.

Just A Big Fan of Our Bills.

I dont care if Cassel starts. Let Roman do his thang

I also want them to keep all three. Does anyone not want them to? A poster said a few weeks back that we can't afford to let this team become the 2014 Arizona Cardinals. I think we can win with any of these three guys- to varying extents, of course.

there was the dollars tied up with Cassel mentioned more than once. It was early on though. I also thought his pocket style might be a more difficult for the coaches. to transition from due to injury. TT and EJM are more alike, i might suppose

I could go with that. What are we putting the odds at one guy starting all 16 games? 10%? Maybe 15?

Depends on who the starter is doesn't it?

But i would guess the Bills want the guy they pick to be much nearer 100%

Edited by 3rdand12

Yeah, man. Like 25% of my gut tells me it's EJM, but then 35% of my gut says to me "no way, it's Cassel". And then outta nowhere, I get this feeling way deep down that says "hey man, get real...it's Tyrod". And get this, that feeling was 40%!

Sounds like indigestion.

The Bills beat reporters are worthless. Completely worthless. They tweet out updates on every single snap, every single pass, and think that this qualifies as analysis. I purged my follows list this preseason because their reporting was insufferable. They all think they're comedians, too.

The only one who's any good is Chris Trapasso of NFL.com because he actually offers some insight and keeps the juvenile commentary to a minimum.

agree 100%. They think they are so hip and clever with their snark. It's obnoxious.

His trade value can't be all that high at this point in preseason. The showcase for a trade doesn't compute for me. It's not as if Cassel is the long term answer for the Bills and Tyrod is unproven at this juncture. Even if EJ is the 2nd or 3rd QB, the possibility of injury makes it prudent to keep all three given the dregs that would be available in the QB market.

Exhibit A of said dregs:

@AroundTheNFL

Josh Johnson is the latest addition to the Jets' stable of quarterbacks http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000516730/article/backup-quarterback-news-roundup?

or Rex Grossman to the Falcons or Pat Devlin to the Browns

This gets me so jacked up. I can't wait for Saturday. EJ, please, step up to the plate and become the guy that everyone is hoping you can be.

again I will say i hope each of them continues to improve. Just says so much for our new Coaching Staff.

Oh and i am very enthusiastic, have no doubt about that !!

again I will say i hope each of them continues to improve. Just says so much for our new Coaching Staff.

Oh and i am very enthusiastic, have no doubt about that !!

It will be a real experience seeing actually coached players. I imagine we will be a much better second half team than we were last year

Wesseling on nfl.com calls Rex a "hamfisted" QB coach in the category of Lovie Smith

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000517085/article/what-we-learned-bryant-bell-bans-sap-steelers-o

Right, but how important is it for TT, or any QB for that matter, when we are playing without a majority of our offensive fire power?

Do you know of a beat reporter or an analyst or anyone who is familiar with the Bills situation who didn't/doesn't have EJ third- both with respect to how he's played throughout camp as well as the perception of where the coaches have/had him based on reps, etc.? There is not one that I have heard.

Chris Trapasso ‏@ChrisTrapasso

Big news. As I suggested all summer, QB battle was not just Tyrod/Cassel. EJ played well in camp/preseason games IMO

Each #Bills QB had bad misses/off days. When I was at camp, EJ was most accurate/decisive 3/4 days. Showed most advanced QB'ing in preseason

Def other #Bills media guys I respect who had different opinions than me on QBs this summer. Some had similar thoughts. All good either way.

I'm certainly still sticking to my opinion...it just doesn't bother me if others have different opinions than I do

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

Right, but how important is it for TT, or any QB for that matter, when we are playing without a majority of our offensive fire power?

Wesseling didn't do any research behind the headline before lazily exerting the tired "Rex doesn't know what to do with QBs" narrative. Second guessing him for this is an opinion but not a fact. EJ will have the 1st team OL and Fred, but otherwise will be missing the top 4 RBs and top 3 WRs. He's "going first" in what will be a 3 QB parade until they pull the 1st team OL. Edited by YoloinOhio

Big news. As I suggested all summer, QB battle was not just Tyrod/Cassel. EJ played well in camp/preseason games IMO

Each #Bills QB had bad misses/off days. When I was at camp, EJ was most accurate/decisive 3/4 days. Showed most advanced QB'ing in preseason

Def other #Bills media guys I respect who had different opinions than me on QBs this summer. Some had similar thoughts. All good either way.

I'm certainly still sticking to my opinion...it just doesn't bother me if others have different opinions than I do

Thanks for sharing. So there is one. I'm just not buying he's looked the best in preseason. I think Taylor looked better in both games. And you couldn't really have done much better than what Cassel did in his two drives (OK not literally but he looked fine). I think all three have been good and that's a good thing for the Bills.

Metz is a "rational realist"? This comes to mind

Let me ask you this- what's the most irrational thing you've ever heard me say on this website? Seriously, I mean it. I mean, cute movie quote and all but am I really some crazy fringe poster that has all these wild and crazy out of leftfield ideas like 'EJ Manuel is less than likely to develop into a franchise QB?'

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Thanks for sharing. So there is one. I'm just not buying he's looked the best in preseason. I think Taylor looked better in both games. And you couldn't really have done much better than what Cassel did in his two drives (OK not literally but he looked fine). I think all three have been good and that's a good thing for the Bills.

Not just one. Trapasso said he knows media people who agree and disagree with him. He doesn't seem to be lying.

As to the bolded, couldn't agree more. I personally think EJ looked slightly better, but that's splitting hairs.

25 pages in this thread alone, among the dozens of threads peppering this board and yet, still no resolution.

it would be difficult to imagine the number of bites that have used here in debating quarterbacks since the Flutie-Johnson era. it's a wonder the intrawebs haven't run out of space.

jw

(apologies to all for attempting to hijack what i'm certain is a gripping discussion that's added 2 replies since i began typing this)

Our HC trolling the media! The media trolling the fans! Everything is upside down! :D