EJ Will Start Pittsburgh Game

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I love what EJ brings to the table is that he throws a beautiful deep ball. That is what this team needs! Everyone knows we are going to run the ball, and stopping the run will be the opposing teams priority. With the speed and playmaking of Sammy, Woods, Harvin, Clay, Goodwin, Deonte- we need a QB that can take the top off, and make teams respect the big play. Which in turn, opens up the running game. Power football, with big shots taken repeatedly suits this offense.

Good they need to get a good look at EJ, Taylor got a good look the week before, it's time EJ gets work in with the first team.

Perhaps this was the plan all along. I think we can all agree that EJ has needed the most development of all three. Work him for most of camp with the 2s & 3s to get more more consistent in the basics before being thrown into a more complex game situation. Then see how he does. If he does well, we might very possibly have the guy we've been looking for sitting immediately behind whomever starts the season (Tyrod, IMO). Cassel is strictly for insurance, I think.

Something tells me this is more about throwing Indy another curveball than EJ being a realistic option

whats the curveball?

honestly, what do you prepare for if EJ starts instead of the other two? the hope with him would be that hes the balanced/complete version of the other two, right?

This is interesting - why was he getting zero snaps with the 1's all week??? Ryan is hard to figure out...Though, it really screws with the head of the Colts... Rex - put icing on the cake and start Simms next week....

Edited by Kipers Hair

I am an admitted support of EJ and I am happy Rex is being true to his word and giving him a start in a preseason just as Cassel and Taylor had theirs.

That said, I still don't believe that Rex/Roman see EJ as being on equal footing as Cassel and TT. In my opinion, this start is a formality and I expect EJ to only get 2 series or so with the starters. But is EJ looks fantastic, it could put him back in the competition. This makes Saturday's game more interesting.

My expectation is that the final choice will come down to Cassel and Taylor. My personal preference would be for EJ or TT to start the season at QB and grasp the job for the next several years. Cassel, to me is a short term (1-2 yr) solution at best. But if he starts and plays well this year, I'm cool with that too.

I just want playoffs.

Something tells me this is more about throwing Indy another curveball than EJ being a realistic option

Indy will have plenty of time to prepare...and if you are a D Coordinator, are you really scared of the Bills QBs?

It's fair. Good move, Rex.

I 110% agree.... It's pre-season, Ej has done well enough to get a chance to play with 1st team (especially their OL) cuz he had ppl in his face even against back ups with how bad our OL was. He missed some plays but showed poise in both games by not getting down and getting worse, he lead TD drives and made some plays.

At least Rex is a man of his word... He said it would be a 3 horse race, and by letting EJ get a crack with 1st team O, that shows what he said from the start. Good move.. its only preseason, it he stinks up the joint, it will surely be alot easier to say they gave him his shot even though he was behind in the QB competition and if he plays well (which hopefully they ALL do) i have a feeling we will need at least 2 QB's play meaningful snaps this yr. The better they all play, the more confidence the staff will have turning to the guy if QB1 goes down or is ineffective. Especially if Tyrod gets the nod, with way he plays, i cant see him making it through a full season if he's gonna run so much. Especially in our division.