EJ Will Start Pittsburgh Game

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's possible that because this is Roman's first time as an OC with complete autonomy (Harbaugh was an offensive coach of course) and this is Rex's first year on the Bills, AND the Bills have a whole bunch of new skill players that this Indy game will be one of the only times that what Rex is doing could have any distinct advantage, and that is why he is doing it.

Indy doesn't know what kind of offense we are really going to run outside of SF tape. We have never had a TE. Shady is a whole different kind of problem than Frank Gore. Harvin is a weapon that SF never had. So because it is the first game ever for this team, Indy has a myriad of problems preparing for us to begin with. Ones that even NE in week two will not have half as many. So the idea of the three different QBs and having to prepare for any of them could help in this game when it really wouldn't that much in others. At least in theory.

It's not going to make that big of a difference. But it can't hurt and might help.

I'm talking about Indy in week 1.

Is this a deceiving match-up for the Bills' offense?

Take the Roman vs Colts' D matchup in 2013 into consideration to some degree. 27-7 win for the Colts.

I don't remember that game, but this could be a good discussion topic.

All of this talk of subterfuge buys the Bills little to no advantage IMO. It's not as if NFL defenses haven't figured out how to gameplan for dual threat or traditional pocket passer QBs. Indy will prepare for both types and be ready. The real question is do they have the defensive personnel to match up with what the Bills will present. I'm betting no.

"It's the chess match, dude"

I think the talk of subterfuge is message board blather.

I'm sure Rex Ryan is way more concerned with finding out what he has at QB, and at least seeing how the 1st team responds to each QB in a "real game".

That is true but it is like planning on what to wear and it might be 30 degrees and it might be 90.

no, it's not.

It's possible that because this is Roman's first time as an OC with complete autonomy (Harbaugh was an offensive coach of course) and this is Rex's first year on the Bills, AND the Bills have a whole bunch of new skill players that this Indy game will be one of the only times that what Rex is doing could have any distinct advantage, and that is why he is doing it.

Indy doesn't know what kind of offense we are really going to run outside of SF tape. We have never had a TE. Shady is a whole different kind of problem than Frank Gore. Harvin is a weapon that SF never had. So because it is the first game ever for this team, Indy has a myriad of problems preparing for us to begin with. Ones that even NE in week two will not have half as many. So the idea of the three different QBs and having to prepare for any of them could help in this game when it really wouldn't that much in others. At least in theory.

It's not going to make that big of a difference. But it can't hurt and might help.

Normally, I'd say it would hurt because its a new offense and every game rep the QB can get with the #1s is a big plus. IMO its more important than making your opponent prepare for multiple QBs.

In this instance, though, I dont think this is true as the top 3 WRs arent going to play and Clay may not play as well so getting on the same page with your primary targets isnt going to happen anyway. Given the depleted WR corps, I'd say Rex and Co. are making the right call in splitting the reps and keeping people guessing. I dont see much, if any, harm in it.

I would say this is the advantage more than who is under center.

No offense, but this doesn't sound like something that came from a person close to the situation. It sounds like a take from a WGR caller. Indy doesn't give a crap who starts our 3rd preseason game and the only way EJ's trade value is affected by this game is if he gets hurt.

You're possibly right that the coaches have their minds made up already but the rest of this is suspicious to me. Just my opinion.

Haha. OK.

I would say this is the advantage more than who is under center.

Sure, but that is kind of the point. The fact that this is true makes the game planning for Indy against the Bills 10x harder than it normally would be. So the fact that he is adding to the problem by having to prepare for two or three different QBs makes it 11x or 12x harder, and that is why he is doing it IMO.

Is this a deceiving match-up for the Bills' offense?

Take the Roman vs Colts' D matchup in 2013 into consideration to some degree. 27-7 win for the Colts.

I don't remember that game, but this could be a good discussion topic.

i don't know. That's two very different teams.

Normally, I'd say it would hurt because its a new offense and every game rep the QB can get with the #1s is a big plus. IMO its more important than making your opponent prepare for multiple QBs.

In this instance, though, I dont think this is true as the top 3 WRs arent going to play and Clay may not play as well so getting on the same page with your primary targets isnt going to happen anyway. Given the depleted WR corps, I'd say Rex and Co. are making the right call in splitting the reps and keeping people guessing. I dont see much, if any, harm in it.

i think it's actually going to be the top 4 WRs out. Hogan too.

Has anyone considered that Metz's source may be a smokescreen too? Obviously they don't want fans to be in the know either. Next thing you know billsmafia will do an all 22 analysis of our starter and then Indy will know everything.

Has anyone considered that Metz's source may be a smokescreen too? Obviously they don't want fans to be in the know either. Next thing you know billsmafia will do an all 22 analysis of our starter and then Indy will know everything.

No, every time that someone here has gotten info from OBD it has been real. There are a bunch of people that have contacts there all of which are legitimate. They are not concerned about word getting out from a message board poster (no offense Metz).

I keep wanting to think that too, like, how could a pro sports team let something like that leak out.

But, man, if its NOT true, Metz is really laying his credibility on the line. If it's not true, his word will be worth less than zero around these here parts. Especially with the way he puts it, so definitavly