Enough incoherence/whining from WGR re: EJ

Media folks operate in a bubble. I get the impression they are really writing and reporting more for each other than they are their audience.

WGR's drive-time shows are nothing more than continuous op-ed segments and a study in groupthink bordering on contempt for its listeners.

GO BILLS!!!

This is a very accurate assessment.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am pretty sure they do this because they have made comments in the past they don't like to waste time with being asked that 100 times a day. I seem to remember a show years ago where schopp hung up on a caller of two because they kept doing it after he asked them to stop.

I think since its natural to ask the first question they just say that to get the process moving.

Yeah but other radio show guys can exchange pleasantries well without ticking off too many seconds. And let's face it, it's not like they are so content rich they struggle to work it all in.

So what if EJ is the 3rd string QB this season?

Were they still wrong, biased, unfair, and dumb? Or would people then begin attacking Roman and Rex?

Most expect him to not be the starter, that's a given. Saying he is terrible and will never be good is another thing. They aren't professional scouts and don't know any more about football than the average fan.

Joe B tweeting out a vine of EJ overthrowing a receiver vs air by 3 yards on a 50 yard pass and saying "EJ Manuel Everybody!" shows he has some sort of bias (that was the 4th day of camp when it happened).

Wrong, no.

Unfair, only the way they treat callers with nothing but disrespect anytime they something positive about EJ.

Dumb, yes. They will always say nothing and act like it's the greatest thing.

Biased, depends on the subject.

Yeah but other radio show guys can exchange pleasantries well without ticking off too many seconds. And let's face it, it's not like they are so content rich they struggle to work it all in.

They get really pissed when people talk over their food draft.

Edited by The Wiz

You mean like Schopp asking on Twitter if fans who defend or support EJ are old Losman fans? :doh: WTH does Schopp even know about football and NFL quarterbacking? Not much from what I've heard from him.

Losman, Trent, E.J.???

lol that is true ... nothing annoys me more than their "Drafts" or "More than" shticks ... talk about horrible material they do not want to miss out on those by exchanging pleasantries.

Edited by A Dog Named Kelso

I have listened to WGR very sparingly over the last week, however, each and every time I have I heard the same 4-5 statements made by multiple hosts, with regard to their coverage of EJ this preseason.

These statements are either bereft of logic, or, on par with the whining of a 2nd grader. Once again I heard Jeremy White re-hash this crap this morning, and normally I wouldn't care, but, enough is enough. So let's get to it:

1. "We have been getting emails and tweets that our coverage has been biased against EJ"

2. "Either we are liars, or, we don't know how to do our jobs".

3. "We do this for a job"

4. "This is coming from some weird place amongst the fans".

5. My personal favorite "We are reading the TEA leaves from the coaches/We are merely reacting to what the coaches are saying"

Congrats OC on ripping them a new one in an exceptionally erudite fashion. :beer:

Media folks operate in a bubble. I get the impression they are really writing and reporting more for each other than they are their audience.

WGR's drive-time shows are nothing more than continuous op-ed segments and a study in groupthink bordering on contempt for its listeners.

GO BILLS!!!

This is a GREAT point...SO true... B-)

The problem with the EJ debate is that people here have made it far too personal, as though they have a vested interest in him starting. The result is a lashing out at any and all critics who don't absolutely share that same viewpoint.

And vice versa.

The problem with the EJ debate is that people here have made it far too personal, as though they have a vested interest in him starting. The result is a lashing out at any and all critics who don't absolutely share that same viewpoint.

Really? That's like someone who takes one side in an argument and claims it is a neutral position. It's only the other side that is biased.

The vitriol is usually coming from the EJ bashing crowd.

If everyone in this thread never listened again then we might be on to something. However, like most, they'll go back like pigs at a trough for more of the unreasonable opinions that they can get up in arms about from wgr

Considering how much Pegula spent on the team, I'd politely ask the higher ups at WGR to significantly up their game. If they don't, I'd pull all interviews of players and coaches until they stop the 24/7 sadness factory. If EJ ever wins the starting job then it will be an all out airwaves war anyways.

It's such an earsore. I don't understand why they wouldn't reach out to a few of all the former Bill players in the area and ask them if they wanted to do a show. Heck, I'd offer Gabe Northern his own morning radio show. What about Thurman Thomas? They don't even need to be ex-players, I'm sure there are radio personalities who are huge Bills fans who would be a thousand times better then what's on that station now. The people on that station are across the board just such a downer.

Really? Not from what Ive seen. Here and on WGR it's typically been:

"I think EJ should get a chance. It's just preseason, we have nothing to lose. Let him show us what he can do. If he doesn't perform, at least we'll know for sure."

"EJ sucks. He'll never be good. If you can't see that, you're an idiot"

That is almost verbatim what WGR's response was to callers yesterday. So who is really making it personal?

Really? That's like someone who takes one side in an argument and claims it is a neutral position. It's only the other side that is biased.

The vitriol is usually coming from the EJ bashing crowd.

and i think it is is usually coming from the pro EJ crowd...and i am in that crowd!

the guys on the shows are just stating they do not believe it is a 3 man competition anymore, it is 2. the pro EJ guys say he has looked great in games, he should get a shot with the 1's.

They come back and say you have not seen all the practices, EJ is clearly the #3 best guy.

EJ crowd calls bias as all we have seen, for the most part, is the games and EJ has looked good there.

I just do not see how you anybody can claim the following 2 things

1) That the coaches have not clearly shown their preference for Tyrod and Matt based on playing rotation in practice and games. Further, when Rex says EJ has had his start in the scrimmage, i think we know where. his head is. That is not media bias, it is the situation.

2) believing that somehow what Mike Shoop says somehow has a bearing on Rex and company...just not buying it.

I do miss the days of actual football analysis in the afternoons.

Many of the callers, that I hear at least. Seem to be guys who are sitting in a bar on weekday afternoons.

Edited by mastershake

and i think it is is usually coming from the pro EJ crowd...and i am in that crowd!

the guys on the shows are just stating they do not believe it is a 3 man competition anymore, it is 2. the pro EJ guys say he has looked great in games, he should get a shot with the 1's.

They come back and say you have not seen all the practices, EJ is clearly the #3 best guy.

EJ crowd calls bias as all we have seen, for the most part, is the games and EJ has looked good there.

1) That the coaches have not clearly shown their preference for Tyrod and Matt based on playing rotation in practice and games. Further, when Rex says EJ has had his start in the scrimmage, i think we know where. his head is. That is not media bias, it is the situation.

2) believing that somehow what Mike Shoop says somehow has a bearing on Rex and company...just not buying it.

Yet, EJ still gets 1st team reps. If he's totally out of it, why bother unless it's pure subterfuge?

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

What? Do you know what vitriol means? The acidic nastiness is coming from those who have contempt for EJ and for those who have not yet given up on him.

Your points are not in any way germane. Rex and Co. probably do favor Tyrod and Cassel. Who claims anything WGR says influences coaching decisions?

It doesn't matter if either is true or untrue. Neither addresses bias, character, or the nature of particular rhetoric.

Edited by Dr. Who