Andy Dalton is a Franchise QB

Numark3

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

he could be better than anything we have and id take that sadly. tyros has looked much better than i anticipated over the first 2 pre season games. hopefully he keeps it up and our qb situation is solved.

its been so long i just want us to have a qb we can count on

The worst part about Dalton is that the Bengals have to decide between paying him big bucks, or letting him go and starting all over.

It's a big bite to swallow, but letting him go is probably what is best for the franchise. Maybe not right away, but definitely 3-5 years down the line.

They'll probably keep him though since they dont want to make themselves look foolish, even though they ultimately will. They'll go off of the old Sunk Cost fallacy.

edit: I forgot they already re-signed him to a 6 year deal with pretty big money. Not 1st tier, but big enough that you can't just cut him or move on. Yikes!

that game was terrible. slightly below average QB on a very good team in my opinion

He lucked out that they drafted AJ Green the same year. The kid has built a career on just chucking it to within 30ft of where ever AJ is supposed to be.

Edited by DrDareustein

The worst part about Dalton is that the Bengals have to decide between paying him big bucks, or letting him go and starting all over.

It's a big bite to swallow, but letting him go is probably what is best for the franchise. Maybe not right away, but definitely 3-5 years down the line.

They'll probably keep him though since they dont want to make themselves look foolish, even though they ultimately will. They'll go off of the old Sunk Cost fallacy.

He lucked out that they drafted AJ Green the same year. The kid has built a career on just chucking it to within 30ft of where ever AJ is supposed to be.

The answer is to keep Dalton, but draft another 1st round QB. Then, no matter who turns out to be better, you have an asset that will likely return a high value from a desperate QB-needy team.

The answer is to keep Dalton, but draft another 1st round QB. Then, no matter who turns out to be better, you have an asset that will likely return a high value from a desperate QB-needy team.

It could work, but if you are going to the playoffs every year with him at QB, you could spend that 1st rounder on an impact player to help get you over the hump and deepen your roster.

It could work, but if you are going to the playoffs every year with him at QB, you could spend that 1st rounder on an impact player to help get you over the hump and deepen your roster.

In your scenario, they're not questioning their QB. They have full confidence that he just needs one more complimentary piece in order to win it all.

My solution is predicated on the fact that they question their QB.

Doing a little research, it seems I forgot that the Bengals already re-signed him last year. And even though it is 6yr/$115mil, it is still more on par with a second-tier contract.

That's still a lot of money tied up in a guy who is considered "2nd tier". Makes our Fitz contract look great.

And I agree with your strategy, but you and I are 2 years too late.

I'd take the 3 headed monster of Cassel, Tyrod, and EJ any day. No question.

If salary wasn't a factor I would take Dalton. Dalton at this point is a much better QB than those 3 are at this point. For a team to win now I would take Dalton hands down. However if I am going to be paying Andy Dalton cap hits of 9.6 million 2015, 13.1 million 2016, 15.7 million 2017, and 16.3 million 2018 with significant dead money if cut from 2015 to 2017 along with some dead money in 2018. I would rather take my chances on picking up 2 of those players making less than half of what Dalton is making with no significant salary tying the team up in the future.

Bottom line Dalton is better but I am not going to want Dalton if I am going to have to pay him a fairly big contract number the next few seasons, causing me to divert roster resources to handle that cap hit.

There isn't a Bills fan on this board who wouldn't sign up for having a 27 year old QB who, in years 1-4 of his career, has thrown for an average of 3700 yards, 25 TD's and 16 INTs each year. And who's to say he's reached his peak?

Downplaying another team that's made the playoffs 4 years running out of a tough AFCN when the Bills are 0-15 in playoff appearances really comes off as pointless.

Edited by BillsVet

When I looked to this season at our 3 headed hydra of TT, Cassell, and EJ......I really thought of Dalton

- When Dalton doesnt have his top targets you wonder how he is even in the NFL

- When Dalton has his compliment of very good to great receivers....he looks like a different qb

It gave me hope for this season

There isn't a Bills fan on this board who wouldn't sign up for having a 27 year old QB who, in years 1-4 of his career, has thrown for an average of 3700 yards, 25 TD's and 16 INTs each year. And who's to say he's reached his peak?

Downplaying another team that's made the playoffs 4 years running out of a tough AFCN when the Bills are 0-15 in playoff appearances really comes off as pointless.

I understand your point, but there's also something to be said for wanting a team that can not only get to the playoffs, but make some noise when they get there. Dalton has been atrocious.

Doing a little research, it seems I forgot that the Bengals already re-signed him last year. And even though it is 6yr/$115mil, it is still more on par with a second-tier contract.

That's still a lot of money tied up in a guy who is considered "2nd tier". Makes our Fitz contract look great.

And I agree with your strategy, but you and I are 2 years too late.

It was actually a 6 year 96 million dollar deal.

The last two years of Daltons contract are a cap hit of 16.2 and 17.7 million. But they are fully non guaranteed no dead money. His 2018 cap hit is 16.3 million but the dead money is only 2.4 million making it very tenable to cut him after the 2017 season. So the last 3 years 53 million is easy to get out of. In 2017 his cap number is 15.7 million with 4.8 million in dead money, that's not a terrible amount of money to eat either. It's only his 2015 and 2016 cap numbers that have huge hits that are untenable.

Dalton's contracts not the worst one out there. But the moderate overpay of Dalton is a reflection of how QB starved the league is. Even a average QB is going to get paid well.

Dalton is fine. Not elite but just fine to win with (and they have consistently).

You just aren't going to take down Andrew Luck, Tom Brady, Joe Flacco, or Peyton Manning in the post-season unless you have an equally good QB.

Not necessarily true...

Eli Manning vs Tom Brady

Russell Wilson vs Peyton Manning

Joe Flacco vs Tom Brady

Having said that, I'm glad we aren't stuck with a Dalton or an Alex Smith. IMO both QBs will never be at the level of "good enough". Having Taylor and Manuel as still developing QBs, we can hope that one of them turns out to be "good enough" come playoff time.

Aaron Rogers and Tony Romo couldn't win in the playoffs at one point too.

I think Dalton is a good QB. Not great or elite, but pretty good.

As someone above mentioned, his stats have been pretty impressive. They just need to win a playoff game for people to accept Dalton as a solid NFL QB.

Stats are one thing. Performance and ability are another. Pure numbers dont show that he is a good QB anymore than they do he just put it up to Green as I mentioned.

Dalton would be no better than what we have already, and he'd have much worse stats.

Im not downplaying that team. Quite the contrary. It is due to the rest of that team (WRs, running game, defense, stable coaching) that has allowed him the mid-tier success he has had.

edit: I'll add that Dalton is no more or less erratic than Manuel or Tannehill. The only differences being that Tanny and Dalton had coaches who made their decision and stuck with the player, and dedicated the team to developing those guys.

Edited by DrDareustein