The Bills are going to do well, and the Patriots are not.

Amid all the talks of Deflategate;

of Suh signing in Miami;

of Geno getting his jaw broken;

I'm curious if anyone has tuned into any AFC Eastern preseason games this summer?

For once, in the decade and a half reign of the Patriots*, they don't just look beatable--they look bad.

Last night against the Saints starters, Tommy and the Patriots looked equally as inept as the Bills offense from 2009--you may recall, the offense that led to AVP getting canned as Buf's OC the week before the season started. And their defense, (the one that lost Revis, Wilfork, Browner), to paraphrase a much earlier observation by Bart Scott "couldn't stop a nose bleed".

In about a quarter of game action last night, the Saints starters raced out to a 21-0 lead and absolutely embarrassed the Patriots. Yes, the Patriots eventually "won" the game, with the bottom of their roster putting up 12 points in the fourth quarter to salvage a 26-24 win. But make no mistake, this is NOT a talented Patriots team. If you factor in the likelihood that Tom Brady will have to play with regulation equipment this year, and other teams may be on a witch hunt to expose their cheating once and for all, meaning the organization may have to play by the rules outlined for the other 31 clubs... Dare I say the Patriots might be lucky to break .500?

As a thought experiment: Imagine a game against the Patriots where Brady throws the ball like he did against Kansas City, their offense turns the ball over at a clip equal to other NFL teams (both due to playing with balls inflated to legal PSI's). What would be the results? Likely similar to the first quarter of last night's game against New Orleans, which very much looked like a team with no talent, led by a 6th round QB, getting pancaked by a far superior Saints squad. Now imagine the push of our defensive line complicating things, or the Jets D line (Leonard Williams could win league MVP, forget rookie of the year), or the Dolphins D line with Suh.

Contrast that with the Bills, who finally... for once... look like a "modern" NFL team: Their defense is off the field quickly, their special teams are electric and create good field position, and the first team offense has been moving the ball fairly well--despite missing nearly their entire stable of skill players. The Bills have the look, demeanor, and general talent level to win 10 games with their eyes closed, and 12-14 wins seems very much in play.

When you factor in the Patriots other 4 games against tougher divisional opponents, not to mention a (possible) Brady suspension, it is damn hard to imagine that team winning more than 8 games.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't see the game, but I'm curious about their starting front 7. It looks formidable on paper. Was it just the secondary that looked bad (though in fairness they were facing Brees) or was the pass rush and run D poor as well? Also I heard garoppolo had a good game, but knowing the saints D I didn't make much of that.

Wow, it's early this year, but, I'll give my annual response to the first pats are done thread that I've seen...

That (cheating) team has had its grave dug for the past 5 years and those demonic (cheating) coaches and (cheating) players continue to !@#$ing win and I !@#$ing hate it. They aren't dead until the last shovel is tossed on their collective (cheating) carcasses.

I didn't see the game, but I'm curious about their starting front 7. It looks formidable on paper. Was it just the secondary that looked bad (though in fairness they were facing Brees) or was the pass rush and run D poor as well? Also I heard garoppolo had a good game, but knowing the saints D I didn't make much of that.

Unfortunately I have never played, coached, or been involved with football at any level, so I can not give a breakdown that would be sufficient to back up my point--all I can do is provide my subjective analysis of a game I watched on mute.

The NFL network is replaying the game at 430 today. Give the first quarter a watch.

Also: I am a massive Bills homer who predicts the Patriots demise every year, so take my prediction with an ocean of salt, lol.

the Patriots looked bad at the start of last season too. Then they won the Super Bowl

Si.

The Patriots also have a decade and a half of allegations of organzational cheating, which include not one but two cases of imposed fines and draft picks, which have been paid by their owner with no appeals to federal courts. Also, former players, GMs, and coaches unanimously agree that they cheat, but stop short of saying it outright so as to not be painted as "sore losers". Also, current players suspect that the visitors locker room is bugged, and conduct "game day" business in secret, to maintain a level playing field to the greatest extent possible.

I'm excited to see what happens when that entire "scaffold of sin", as it were, is removed from the Patriots football structure. What will be the result?

Will we continue to see a band of misfits, led by a 6th round quarterback, continue to fumble at a rate less than all of their peers (despite playing outdoors in a cold climate) and win games that by all rights they should lose 10 times over? Or will we start to see results more closely inline with what you would expect (and have seen) from literally every other athletic competition that has been held in the history of man playing sport against fellow man in the absence of cheating?

If this preseason is any indication, Patriots fans might not think the NFL is such a fun sport to follow when, you know, you have to play by league rules.

Edited by JohnnyGold

Wow, it's early this year, but, I'll give my annual response to the first pats are done thread that I've seen...

Too early to nominate for post of the year?

That (cheating) team has had its grave dug for the past 5 years and those demonic (cheating) coaches and (cheating) players continue to !@#$ing win and I !@#$ing hate it. They aren't dead until the last shovel is tossed on their collective (cheating) carcasses.

I love these threads.. The Pats are on a downward slope and aren't gonna be good..

Then they win the SuperBowl. I'll write them off when they start losing regular season games and miss the playoffs.

Edited by Idandria

I watched the same opening couple of quarters last night and the Patriots did not look good that is true. However, do they ever hit their stride early? How many times have we seen them lose 2 of their first 4 or 5 and recover to 12-4? Their season comes down to how many games does Brady end up missing and if he does end up missing some then how many wins can they muster in that run? If the ban sticks at 4 games and they get through those at .500 or better they are still big favourites to win the AFC East. If they are 1-3 or maybe even 0-4 then I think the division is likely to be tough enough this year that they end up in a battle to win it.

We've all be hoping for the demise of the Patriots for over a decade. I remember when Charlie Weiss and Romeo Crennel left there were threads here that stated the Patriots would finally begin to return to the pack. The Pats will be good in-so-long as Brady remains a top tier QB. If he begins to slip this year then they might be .500. Otherwise they'll be competing for the East by year's end.

Amid all the talks of Deflategate;

of Suh signing in Miami;

of Geno getting his jaw broken;

I'm curious if anyone has tuned into any AFC Eastern preseason games this summer?

For once, in the decade and a half reign of the Patriots*, they don't just look beatable--they look bad.

Last night against the Saints starters, Tommy and the Patriots looked equally as inept as the Bills offense from 2009--you may recall, the offense that led to AVP getting canned as Buf's OC the week before the season started. And their defense, (the one that lost Revis, Wilfork, Browner), to paraphrase a much earlier observation by Bart Scott "couldn't stop a nose bleed".

In about a quarter of game action last night, the Saints starters raced out to a 21-0 lead and absolutely embarrassed the Patriots. Yes, the Patriots eventually "won" the game, with the bottom of their roster putting up 12 points in the fourth quarter to salvage a 26-24 win. But make no mistake, this is NOT a talented Patriots team. If you factor in the likelihood that Tom Brady will have to play with regulation equipment this year, and other teams may be on a witch hunt to expose their cheating once and for all, meaning the organization may have to play by the rules outlined for the other 31 clubs... Dare I say the Patriots might be lucky to break .500?

As a thought experiment: Imagine a game against the Patriots where Brady throws the ball like he did against Kansas City, their offense turns the ball over at a clip equal to other NFL teams (both due to playing with balls inflated to legal PSI's). What would be the results? Likely similar to the first quarter of last night's game against New Orleans, which very much looked like a team with no talent, led by a 6th round QB, getting pancaked by a far superior Saints squad. Now imagine the push of our defensive line complicating things, or the Jets D line (Leonard Williams could win league MVP, forget rookie of the year), or the Dolphins D line with Suh.

Contrast that with the Bills, who finally... for once... look like a "modern" NFL team: Their defense is off the field quickly, their special teams are electric and create good field position, and the first team offense has been moving the ball fairly well--despite missing nearly their entire stable of skill players. The Bills have the look, demeanor, and general talent level to win 10 games with their eyes closed, and 12-14 wins seems very much in play.

When you factor in the Patriots other 4 games against tougher divisional opponents, not to mention a (possible) Brady suspension, it is damn hard to imagine that team winning more than 8 games.

Johnny, a little early to be hittin the bottle isn't it? Just kidding, and you make decent points, but this is Tom Brady. As one other post mentioned, they looked like crap in the beginning of last year, the Chiefs embarrassed them, the Fish beat them soundly, and the media went on about how it was the end of an era for Brady Belicheck. Then this little thing happened and Tom's whining on the sidelines turned into a focused and angry team that ripped off mostly wins the rest of the year except the Packers. You can't count us as they sat their starters.

Now, am I giving up hope, NO. Yes, we know they may be without Marsha, Marsha, Marsha for maybe 2-4 games, and yes they lost the three players you mentioned along with a couple of older O-Lineman. I just won't discount them. I am betting there will be a three way race for the AFCE with us, the Pats, and the Fish. I can see all three teams being 10-5 going into the last game of the season. I see the Jets rebuilding and are maybe 8-8. We play the Jets the last game, so I sure have my fingers crossed for 11-5 and winning the AFCE. The Pats play in Miami, so hopefully we sweep Miami and win by divisional record. That would be exciting watching the Pats miss the playoffs even with a 10-6 record.

Anyway, I love your optimism, so I'm not busting your chops, I just never get too overconfident when it comes to the Pats.

I don't remember the Patriots ever doing well in Preseason... Which is why you don't look at W/L in Preseason.

Correct.

Brady to gronk will still be a major challenge for the league. Tom still looked sharp in warm ups - they may be beatable but they still could go the distance too.

Which would make overtaking them even more satisfying.

Edited by NoSaint

Correct.

Brady to brink will still be a major challenge for the league. Tom still looked sharp in warm ups - they may be beatable but they still could go the distance too.

Which would make overtaking them even more satisfying.

As long as they have Brady and Gronk and Belicheat they will be a good if not great team. Blount will probably have a 1000 yard season. Where they are really vulnerable though is the secondary. They lost three of their top four guys and just had to move McCourty to CB and he's pissed about it. If Brady misses the first four games, they could easily go 1-3.

Right now I put it at 50-50 that he misses four games. I think the judge very reluctantly upholds the ruling. The only question is really if the NFLPA gets an injunction to let him play while it goes to a higher court and whether the Pats want to risk him losing games late. There is a decent to good chance of an injunction.

I'll believe it when I see it. However, if this is the year they finally slide (if they do it will be because of their o-line) it will be all that more entertaining to watch for one reason.

Whether or not it's fair or true, a losing season this year will forever tarnish the pats* "legacy" because of deflate gate.

I am keeping my fingers crossed. That's one train wreck I'd love to watch.

I agree I have been posting on yahoo that the pats will be a .500 team bc their cheating is finally done and over. Other teams will be on their toes and aware. They will have contingencicy plans for playing the cheats. I think this will hurt them.

The pats always start slow and finish strong bc it takes them a while to build up their cheating database of info on teams. Their amazing halftime adjustments are from illegal spying on other teams communications and locker rooms. Without flat footballs they will turn it over more. Without a coach in his head I will be impossible for Brady to ALWayS find the open guy in the flat. Without these benefits the pats are screwed.