B/R Report: Rex wants to start Tyrod, other coaches split

johnwalter

I don't think people who "rant against EJ" necessarily think that Cassel is great. Look, you mention Kelly Holcomb. I realize that's a name that is always sure to draw a lot of laughs on here but Kelly Holcomb was decent in 2005. If we can get Kelly Holcomb 2005 level of play, the Bills will make the playoffs. EJ Manuel has not achieved Kelly Holcomb 2005 or Matt Cassel 2008/2010 level of play at this stage in his career and there is no guarantee that he will. Again, this doesn't have to be that complicated: just go take the job from Matt Cassel/Tyrod Taylor. If Cassel sucks so bad and EJ has all this magic upside then it shouldn't be that hard.

Maybe some Bills Fans want excitement behind the O Line like when Doug Flutie was in Buffalo and these same people have faith in TT and EJ.

FACT. I have seen LITTLE of Matt Cassel in the Preseason and what I saw was boring and accumulated ZERO points.

Practice is practice. Like preseason games these may or may not relate to live fire football games.

And since you keep reminding us

there is no guarantee that he won't achieve better level of play by Kelly Holcomb 2005 or Matt Cassel 2008/2010

FTR Please link the Matt Cassel record in KC prior to and just after the one playoff season that Denver coincidentally went 4-12.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

metzelaars_lives, on 23 Aug 2015 - 6:13 PM, said:

I don't think people who "rant against EJ" necessarily think that Cassel is great. Look, you mention Kelly Holcomb. I realize that's a name that is always sure to draw a lot of laughs on here but Kelly Holcomb was decent in 2005. If we can get Kelly Holcomb 2005 level of play, the Bills will make the playoffs. EJ Manuel has not achieved Kelly Holcomb 2005 or Matt Cassel 2008/2010 level of play at this stage in his career and there is no guarantee that he will. Again, this doesn't have to be that complicated: just go take the job from Matt Cassel/Tyrod Taylor. If Cassel sucks so bad and EJ has all this magic upside then it shouldn't be that hard.

Can you remind me your stance on what you would like the FO to do with EJ? I still have some logic issues with trying to determine if EJ will be "decent"

Sound of crickets.

:devil:

I don't agree with the bolded. The difference between preparing for TT and Cassel is very big. If they've prepared for an immobile QB that just stands in the pocket, they'll find it harder to deal with what TT brings, in addition to all the other weapons.

+1 It changes everything.

I don't believe in EJ as a viable option to start. He has the ability to make a nice throw, he has the ability to finish a nice drive, but I don't have faith he can do it consistently enough to be a winner in this league. A good drive followed by 3 terrible quarters...how often have we seen that?

That being said, as a Bills fan I certainly don't root for him to fail. I was happy to see him lead the winning drive at the end of the game last week. Maybe he could become a strong backup. If something happens to our starter we aren't dead in the water. That's important in this league, too.

We have an intriguing competition right now.

I see Taylor as the perfect QB for our offense, provided he can consistently execute at a high level. From the little I've seen he seems to have the right demeanor for it. A calmness under fire that can't be taught..

Meh Cassel is the least interesting, but he does have both short and long term value. Short term he could manage the offense efficiently enough to win games. Long term he could be almost a player coach as a backup/mentor who could keep us afloat if our starter goes down.

EJ is in kind of a no-mans land. Still a young guy learning, and has enough physical tools to be viable if his development goes well. That said, he also had significant streaks of poor play that make it hard for any head coach to trust him with the keys to the car.

Thus, I still stand by my assessment at the position.

1. Taylor - The possible phenom

2. Cassel - The safety net

3. Manuel - The project

Edited by negativo

Sound of crickets.

:devil:

Sorry if I'm not on here every waking moment. Yes, to remind you and your friend my stance on EJ, I think and hope that they keep him as the third string QB. I think he has shown enough to not get cut outright. And just stop with your assessment of Matt Cassel's preseason play. Again, he was 7 for 8 with a blatant drop and a big gainer that called back. He looked fine. Gay missed a chip shot. So essentially he yielded 3 points in two possessions. EJ Manuel has yielded 2 TD's in essentially a full game- 1 of which was made possible by a very suspect PI call. Congratulations. Everyone on planet Earth knows that if EJ had the two drives Cassel had that you'd be raving about it and telling everyone his passer rating for those two drives. I just ask that people try and remain objective.

Maybe some Bills Fans want excitement behind the O Line like when Doug Flutie was in Buffalo and these same people have faith in TT and EJ.

FACT. I have seen LITTLE of Matt Cassel in the Preseason and what I saw was boring and accumulated ZERO points.

Practice is practice. Like preseason games these may or may not relate to live fire football games.

And since you keep reminding us

there is no guarantee that he won't achieve better level of play by Kelly Holcomb 2005 or Matt Cassel 2008/2010

FTR Please link the Matt Cassel record in KC prior to and just after the one playoff season that Denver coincidentally went 4-12.

And as Kirby Jackson pointed out yesterday, all you guys do is make excuses for EJ's failures and excuses for Cassel's (albeit limited) success. So now, KC "coincidentally" made the playoffs because Denver was 4-12 that year. OK gotcha. The guy had 27 TD's and 7 INT's that year. As FireChan said yesterday, I too will eat my hat if EJ Manuel ever puts up those type of numbers in an NFL season. As if EJ Manuel won the staring job this year, had a great season, took the Bills to the playoffs and made the Pro Bowl (as Cassel did for KC in 2010) but New England went, say, 6-10, you would be like, "yeah well, 'coincidentally' New England had a down year this year..."

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Sorry if I'm not here every waking moment. Yes, to remind you and your friend my stance on EJ, I think and hope that they keep him as the third string QB. I think he has shown enough to not get cut outright. And just stop with your assessment of Matt Cassel's preseason play. Again, he was 7 for 8 with a blatant drop and a big gainer that called back. He looked fine. Gay missed a chip shot. So essentially he yielded 3 points in two possessions. EJ Manuel has yielded 2 TD's in essentially a full game- 1 of which was made possible by a very suspect PI call. Congratulations. Everyone on planet Earth knows that if EJ had the two drives Cassel had that you'd be raving about it. I just ask that people try and remain objective.

I think objective people can make a persuasive argument for not starting Cassel. Preseason stats don't mean much. If you're objectively evaluating and projecting Cassel's performance to the regular season, there's nothing to be excited about.

Jason Cole is the same guy who had this report last year

@WHTK: LISTEN: Bleacher Report's Jason Cole says "Marrone ignored people telling him EJ Manuel couldn't play." #Bills http://t.co/wBSvJqUMfc

Maybe has a source somewhere

Or maybe he just popped in the game film of EJ playing & put 2 & 2 together.

I think objective people can make a persuasive argument for not starting Cassel. Preseason stats don't mean much. If you're objectively evaluating and projecting Cassel's performance to the regular season, there's nothing to be excited about.

I would objectively make a persuasive argument that Tyrod Taylor should start. I know preseason stats don't mean much. But as much as nobody is excited about the idea of Matt Cassel, in his two drives in the first preseason game he looked fine and it's a stretch to use those two drives to pan him. And of course if those were EJ Manuel's only two drives and he too went 7-8 with a drop, the EJ guys would've been hyping him up. That's all I'm saying.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I would objectively make a persuasive argument that Tyrod Taylor should start. I know preseason stats don't mean much. But as much as nobody is excited about the idea of Matt Cassel, in his two drives in the first preseason game he looked fine and it's a stretch to use those two drives to pan him. And of course if those were EJ Manuel's only two drives and he too went 7-8 with a drop, the EJ guys would've been hyping him up. That's all I'm saying.

I agree that you can't pan him. The performance wasn't worthy of attack or to be picked to shreds.

However, he checked down often and threw short of the sticks on 3rd down. He didn't take any shots. On that 3rd and 12 before the FG attempt, he stayed with the simple run and settled for the potential points. Did they want him to do that or were they testing him? I don't know, but I'd like to see my QB try to make a play. Be smart about it, but make a calculated effort to get the first. You don't need any more yards for the FG. That run is just a wasted play and a low percentage attempt at the 1st down.

That's an acceptable, pre-season play call for a QB who is the entrenched starter, but not for a guy who is in a QB competition. Where's the sense of urgency from him. I'm only seeing the urgency from Tyrod and EJ.

I'm not panning his performance. I'm just saying it was the typical back-up performance. Playing it safe. Very Matt Cassel-esque.

1. Taylor - The possible phenom

2. Cassel - The safety net

3. Manuel - The project

seriously?? what the hell has TT shown in his ZERO starts in real NFL games that makes you think he'll be a possible phenom?

Talk about being a fanboy/fanguy/superfan.

and no I don't have anything against Tyrod.

speaking of T Mobile .... what ever happened to the hot chick doing the T Mobil commercials???

there you go again assuming and stretching the truth. I know you don't like it when people twist your words and exaggerate your dislike for EJ.

The only thing us fanboys would claim is that he only had 2 drives and looked average at best.

So please, if you want the debates to end - keep it rational.