Update on Chris Hogan

YoloinOhio

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if hogan became the pats #1 receiver, i dont think i would be bothered. in fact - sign me up for that. if we have to defend someone getting 8-10 catches for them, hes low on my list of people that would worry me. i know that sounds bad, but....

They can run that Hogan and Chandler duo out there.

I wouldn't be bothered either. I think that Hogan is definitely an NFL WR. I just don't think that he is an NFL WR that can hurt you. He is Donald Jones not Julio Jones.

They can run that Hogan and Chandler duo out there.

I wouldn't be bothered either. I think that Hogan is definitely an NFL WR. I just don't think that he is an NFL WR that can hurt you. He is Donald Jones not Julio Jones.

The point, though, isn't whether he can hurt you. It's more whether he is safe, steady, and reliable safety valve. That's not a bad thing to have. He's obviously not an elite receiver, but he's a "safe" player rather than a boom-or-bust "athlete" that doesn't know the team's offense and is a shaky route runner. As I said, most good teams have such players. And good QBs like Brady know how to utilize them.

Edited by dave mcbride

The point, though, isn't whether he can hurt you. It's more whether he is safe, steady, and reliable safety valve. That's not a bad thing to have. He's obviously not an elite receiver, but he's a "safe" player rather than a boom-or-bust "athlete" that doesn't know the team's offense and is a shaky route runner. As I said, most good teams have such players. And good QBs like Brady know how to utilize them.

We have a much better guy like that in Robert Woods. And #1s like Watkins are both possession guys and game breaking big play guys. And Harvin is known for being a short pass YAC guy. How many do you need? Not to mention that he drops balls and misses first downs, which hurts the one big thing he does, be a reliable possession guy. He has great measurables. He runs very good routes. He's a great guy and teammate. He's an average #3 and good #4 WR.

He is a safe, reliable WR (although he has had a lot of drops this offseason). You don't win with guys like that. We have Charles Clay and Robert Woods to more effectively fill the role that Hogan plays. If Woods goes out for any reason you can use Sammy on the possession routes (and he knows where the markers are). He is a complete WR.

Hogan is an NFL WR but not one that we should fear. We didn't fear TJ Graham when he left, or David Nelson, or Donald Jones or Derek Hagan. That is who he is. He is a low end receiving option that has improved. Hogan is not a guy that will come back to haunt you.

you do need some of those. and we have sammy, bob, percy, charles, lesean and fred as really good/elite keep the chains moving options. even if we lose a few of them we are still deep in that role.

as several have said, i wont be upset if hogan is our 4-5 (or if including backs and TEs more like our 7-8), but i wont be worried if hes bradys 1-2 either.

Edited by NoSaint

He is a safe, reliable WR (although he has had a lot of drops this offseason). You don't win with guys like that. We have Charles Clay and Robert Woods to more effectively fill the role that Hogan plays. If Woods goes out for any reason you can use Sammy on the possession routes (and he knows where the markers are). He is a complete WR.

Hogan is an NFL WR but not one that we should fear. We didn't fear TJ Graham when he left, or David Nelson, or Donald Jones or Derek Hagan. That is who he is. He is a low end receiving option that has improved. Hogan is not a guy that will come back to haunt you.

David Nelson, when good, was a better player than Hogan, when good. And David Nelson is an average player who can't get a job.

David Nelson, when good, was a better player than Hogan, when good. And David Nelson is an average player who can't get a job.

No chance.

Clearly... :doh:

David Nelson: 6'5; 217 lbs.

2010 15 games, 31 receptions, 353 yds, 3 TDs

2011 16 games, 61 receptions, 658 yds, 5 TDs

2012 1 game, 2 receptions, 31 yds, 0 TDs

2013 12 games, 36 receptions, 423 yds 2 TDs (on the J-E-S-T-S)

2014 5 games, 8 receptions, 65 yds, 0 TDs (on the J-E-S-T-S)

2015 CURRENTLY UNEMPLOYED

Chris Hogan: 6'1"; 220 lbs.

2011 0 games, 0 receptions, 0 yds, 0 TDs (for the Dolphins)

2012 0 games, 0 receptions, 0 yds, 0 TDs

2013 16 games, 10 receptions, 83 yds, 0 TDs

2014 16 games, 41 receptions, 426 yes 4 TDs

I am not sure who is going to make the team, and wouldn't be surprised if Hogan does make it, but wouldn't be thrilled by it either. Really not sure where he fits into this type of offense, other than rotational 3rd wide out with Harvin on 3rd and mediums possibly.

Hogan fits because he is the best blocking WR the Bills have; if you look at offense last year many of the WR plays were made with Hogan blocking for WRs and unlike some of the TEs/WRs he was scoring as well. His down line awareness needs to be better and it hopefully he will be able to break single tackles better but that hopefully will come with better WR coaching/

Right. If you watched Rex today he did say you can't make the club if you're in the tub. Then said Harvin did. You can't really be serious that Hogan is better than Harvin.

He is better on some things and behind in others. There is not a single skill needed by WRs. It is like a RB who is a great runner but can not follow a block or pick up on blitzes. You want him on team but you need to use in right situations or more precisely not use in wrong ones.

Of course no one fears guys who either can't play (Graham) or are frequently injured, or both. But there's nothing wrong with having a solid, possession receiver in your arsenal. It adds reliability and a change of pace. Welker didn't hurt the Pats by any stretch. And you do win with guys like Hogan so long as you don't depend on them as your primary offensive weapons.

Of course no one fears guys who either can't play (Graham) or are frequently injured, or both. But there's nothing wrong with having a solid, possession receiver in your arsenal. It adds reliability and a change of pace. Welker didn't hurt the Pats by any stretch. And you do win with guys like Hogan so long as you don't depend on them as your primary offensive weapons.

I agree but why do we think that he is Welker? He is at best the 6th best possession option (Clay, Woods, Sammy, McCoy and Fred). He has no skills that differentiate him from the other guys. He is an NFL WR but he is "just a guy."

I still think that he makes the team but Hogan isn't the next coming of Welker. He is Donald Jones v2.0.

I agree but why do we think that he is Welker? He is at best the 6th best possession option (Clay, Woods, Sammy, McCoy and Fred). He has no skills that differentiate him from the other guys. He is an NFL WR but he is "just a guy."

I still think that he makes the team but Hogan isn't the next coming of Welker. He is Donald Jones v2.0.

The Welker comparisons are nothing but race.

Hogan is simply NOT as quick as Welker or Edleman. Welker and Edleman have superb quickness that make them dangerous on the underneath routes, and that has been what separates them from being JAG. Hogan does not exhibit that same in-game speed.

The Welker comparisons are nothing but race.

Hogan is simply NOT as quick as Welker or Edleman. Welker and Edleman have superb quickness that make them dangerous on the underneath routes, and that has been what separates them from being JAG. Hogan does not exhibit that same in-game speed.

Yea but if he suddenly shows an uncanny knack for getting 3 inches past the marker, and plays with much more agility while improving his hands- you'd practically think they were brothers Edited by NoSaint