EJ deserves time on the field with first team offense.

gsurdam

From Webster's Dictionary:

distinction

noun dis·tinc·tion \di-ˈstiŋ(k)-shən

: a difference that you can see, hear, smell, feel, etc. : a noticeable difference between things or people

You have made a statement without saying anything.

I always find it weirdly amusing when someone mistakes their own ignorance for insight. If you truly think that there is no difference between the three QBs, their abilities, or their potential, then you either haven't paid much attention, or there is much you don't understand about football. Not having an opinion on who gives us the best chance to win (or whatever other criteria one might have for preferring one QB over another) does not put you up on those that do-- quite the opposite. One game in a 16 game season can easily be the difference between playoffs, and going home.

That there are three QBs who are still vying for the starting position, each with their nuanced differences, makes for a far more complicated TC and preseason than what is the norm in the league. Each QB makes our offense distinctly different.

If that isn't adequate grist for 30 pages of football discussion, I don't know what is. And, I doubt you do either.

Looks like I touched a nerve. I guess some are more sensitive than others.

“A distinction without a difference”—a colloquial expression employed by one wishing to recognize that while a linguistic or conceptual distinction exists between any number of options, any such distinction lacks substantive practical effect. To allege that a situation presents “a distinction without a difference” is to suggest that any difference between a given set of options is a logical fallacy—purely a creature of erroneous perception.

The point is, (which clearly you were to dim to grasp) is not about their abilities which are clearly different. But the end result in the W/L column. If you think the Bills are likely to win more games with one QB than another then I'd suggest you're the one who is as you say "doesn't understand much about football". They are all sub-par QBs and the end result will be the same.

So instead of being clever and pulling meanings of single words from a website dictionary to invalidate an entire posting try educating yourself on what a colloquial expression is and you won't come off sounding like a fool.

Edited by gumby

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like I touched a nerve. I guess some are more sensitive than others.

“A distinction without a difference”—a colloquial expression employed by one wishing to recognize that while a linguistic or conceptual distinction exists between any number of options, any such distinction lacks substantive practical effect. To allege that a situation presents “a distinction without a difference” is to suggest that any difference between a given set of options is a logical fallacy—purely a creature of erroneous perception.

The point is, (which clearly you were to dim to grasp) is not about their abilities which are clearly different. But the end result in the W/L column. If you think the Bills are likely to win more games with one QB than another then I'd suggest you're the one who is as you say "doesn't understand much about football". They are all sub-par QBs and the end result will be the same.

So instead of being clever and pulling dictionary meanings of single words from a website to invalidate an entire posting try educating yourself on what a colloquial expression is and you won't come off sounding like a fool.

I am pretty dim.

Why did I bother to engage somebody who has offered not one shred of substance to a 30 page discussion, but prefers to condescendingly dismiss the entire discussion as pointless because, "they are all sub-par QBs and the end result will be the same.?" That's some mighty fine analysis, there. Nice debating you, pal.

Is it really that crazy to consider a 1st round draft pick QB who cannot clearly demonstrate that he is better than career journeyman and a career backup by YEAR 3 a failure?

1st round QBs are supposed to be solid starters by year 3. Those who are not pretty much never amount to anything in the league.

A 1st rd QB that played 15 games in the NFL. You not only get better by watching, you get better by playing. If he played 48 games or even 40 in 3 years and showed no improvement then I'd have to agree with you. He didn't play the equivalent of a full NFL season and people are throwing the towel in on him. He has won some games in the league under center. In the 15 games he played he showed poise and leadership in the huddle. What he has been lacking in is accuracy and consistency. From what I read, a QBs accuracy can be corrected with proper footwork/mechanics. What I'm trying to say is allow the guy the proper opportunity to perfect his craft. Folks in Miami thought Tannehill was a "bust" but his coach/organization allow him to play through his rough patch and develop into what some think will be a quality NFL QB.

I am pretty dim.

Why did I bother to engage somebody who has offered not one shred of substance to a 30 page discussion, but prefers to condescendingly dismiss the entire discussion as pointless because, "they are all sub-par QBs and the end result will be the same.?" That's some mighty fine analysis, there. Nice debating you, pal.

The 30 page "discussion" is EJ fan boys and TT fan boys throwing mud at each other. The only thing they seem to agree on is that Cassel isn't any good either. If that's what you consider as football "discussion" than yeah you are pretty dim. But at least you seem to understand your shortcomings.

Edited by gumby

The 30 page "discussion" is EJ fan boys and TT fan boys throwing mud at each other. The only thing they seem to agree on is that Cassel isn't any good either. If that's what you consider as football "discussion" than yeah you are pretty dim. But at least you seem to understand your shortcomings.

What is going overboard for 1000, Alex.

A 1st rd QB that played 15 games in the NFL. You not only get better by watching, you get better by playing. If he played 48 games or even 40 in 3 years and showed no improvement then I'd have to agree with you. He didn't play the equivalent of a full NFL season and people are throwing the towel in on him. He has won some games in the league under center. In the 15 games he played he showed poise and leadership in the huddle. What he has been lacking in is accuracy and consistency. From what I read, a QBs accuracy can be corrected with proper footwork/mechanics. What I'm trying to say is allow the guy the proper opportunity to perfect his craft. Folks in Miami thought Tannehill was a "bust" but his coach/organization allow him to play through his rough patch and develop into what some think will be a quality NFL QB.

what separates EJ Manuel from the greats? he has to find 2 or 3 more completions for every 40 passes he attempts and he needs an extra yard per attempt - could self improvement, slightly better receivers and slightly better Oline play achieve this? I think so.

what separates EJ Manuel from the greats? he has to find 2 or 3 more completions for every 40 passes he attempts and he needs an extra yard per attempt - could self improvement, slightly better receivers and slightly better Oline play achieve this? I think so.

We don't take kindly to rationale around these parts.

He could go either way at this point but so far it sounds like he has been trending up.

That doesn't sound like a lot, which is a limitation of statistics/hard data in a subjective discipline like sports.

There is a LOT that separates Peyton Manning and Aaron Rogers type players from the Josh McCowns that never shows up on a stat sheet anywhere.

If there wasn't there would be more great QBs.

As to the # of games point: if he was any good he would have played all of last season. The team pulled the plug because he was in the way of them winning games.

Anyone who says "well, Marrone just wanted to win so he played Orton" makes the point for me.

Edited by TheFunPolice

Anything in the world more annoying than the Ej bashers who call people that watch the games fanboys ?

Hey Ej bashers. We get it. Your posts 3 months ago and today look the same.

Shoutout to the Ej bashers Keep that old info coming

How about we decide to drop all the haters/bashers etc. talk?

Corrected.

Yeah, that too.

That doesn't sound like a lot, which is a limitation of statistics/hard data in a subjective discipline like sports.

There is a LOT that separates Peyton Manning and Aaron Rogers type players from the Josh McCowns that never shows up on a stat sheet anywhere.

As to the # of games point: if he was any good he would have played all of last season. The team pulled the plug because he was in the way of them winning games.

Anyone who says "well, Marrone just wanted to win so he played Orton" makes the point for me.

It's actually more so that Marrone did not know what he was doing. If he had, he would have played EJ and the team would have likely won more games than they did with Orton. With a competent coach, he would have played all of last season.

Edited by DisplacedBillsFan

To me, if the QB competition is real, then it's EJ's turn to start.

I think the usual bromides about what is supposed to happen in the third and fourth preseason games are out the window, given our situation.

Whether he lights it up or bombs, so be it, at least the air is clear for a decision to be made.

fair post.

and now i know what bromides means! I thought it was like alka seltzers

On another note. The Bills are keeping 3. They have no option really.

One will probably drop off or out at some point.

I hope not but....

I think this three-way competition has been distracting enough. If the coaches feel that they know enough to turn this into a two-way competition, or even declare a starter, they should. If they're considering EJ as being in third place (as has been suggested by numerous outlets), then start treating him like third string. We have to start preparing for the Colts.

they did start putting in the Colts alignment yesterday.

Why declare it? Makes no sense to me. as long as They know. ha ha

Haha. I love Rex's pressers.

yep. he is really rather good at them

Houston 2014. Never forget.

I am still traumatized by the amazing lack and or vacuous of blocking that game.

Conspiracy says: Marrone had a hard to get Orton in and hated EJ.

no conspiracy says: holy sheets that was the worst O line play i may have ever seen. ever. I re watched the game 2 times then washed my brain of it

We

Go

Rouge

Rogue. idiot.

love you Man :nana:

Conspiracy says: Marrone had a hard to get Orton in and hated EJ.

no conspiracy says: holy sheets that was the worst O line play i may have ever seen. ever. I re watched the game 2 times then washed my brain of it

From what former employees of Marrone's have said about him, I honestly might think that it's completely possible.

no it isnt ?

THEY, which includes ME takes offense to your generalizing US.

what's with the attitude?

mostly none of us agree. thats what the fun part is supposed to be. Feel free to also have fun with us. But try to use nice words until you are DC Tom.

From what former employees of Marrone's have said about him, I honestly might think that it's completely possible.

Naw thats just too over the top.

But that game really freaked me out after watching again. the whole offense appeared a bit sketchy

Edited by 3rdand12

and now i know what bromides means! I thought it was like alka seltzers

I thought it was the cool kids slang for brother these days. As in "Yo Bromide, who you thinks gonna start foe Qb for da Bills this year?"

I thought it was the cool kids slang for brother these days. As in "Yo Bromide, who you thinks gonna start foe Qb for da Bills this year?"

That slang word is Brougham!

Geez you are pretty out of touch with kids these days aren't you?

Pronounced

Bro Ham

and thanks for the note Bro-Mides

:nana:

He was pulled with a .500 record!! Do you think it conceivable that he may have won more games than Orton had given the opportunity? I guarantee you EJ wouldn't have slid down a yard short of the first down!!

no it isnt ?

THEY, which includes ME takes offense to your generalizing US.

what's with the attitude?

mostly none of us agree. thats what the fun part is supposed to be. Feel free to also have fun with us. But try to use nice words until you are DC Tom.

Naw thats just too over the top.

But that game really freaked me out after watching again. the whole offense appeared a bit sketchy

Considering his "you can fire me" quote, I don't know if it is.

He was pulled with a .500 record!! Do you think it conceivable that he may have won more games than Orton had given the opportunity? I guarantee you EJ wouldn't have slid down a yard short of the first down!!

you cant do that. You cant guarantee anything. Because you might be wrong regardless of what Orton was.