EJ deserves time on the field with first team offense.

gsurdam

Fact: EJ Manuel has 2 TDs and a 2 point conversion this preseason, Taylor and Cassel both have zip.

Does it matter if they run it in or if they throw it? The answer is of course not. The goal is to lead the team on scoring drives. They have all led scoring drives and some have been unlucky (the Gay missed chip shot). I believe that Buffalo Hokie (or someone like that) posted it the other day but Taylor has led them to 17 points on 6 drives (again vs. 1's and 2's). EJ has led them to 18 point on 9 drives (against mainly 3's). I do not know how we are chalking that up as a win for EJ and a loss for the others? This is the exact kind of stuff that is maddening!!

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it matter if they run it in or if they throw it? The answer is of course not. The goal is to lead the team on scoring drives. They have all led scoring drives and some have been unlucky (the Gay missed chip shot). I believe that Buffalo Hokie (or someone like that) posted it the other day but Taylor has led them to 17 points on 6 drives (again vs. 1's and 2's, with 1's and 2's). EJ has led them to 18 point on 9 drives (against mainly 3's, with 3's ). I do not know how we are chalking that up as a win for EJ and a loss for the others? This is the exact kind of stuff that is maddening!!

Edited for accuracy. I don't know why either side of the debate has to downplay one QB's play to lift up the other. They've both played well.

Even Cassel has played well...but I'd still be disappointed if gets the nod.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

Edited for accuracy. I don't know why either side of the debate has to downplay one QB's play to lift up the other. They've both played well.

Even Cassel has played well...but I'd still be disappointed if gets the nod.

Agreed, every time I have given the possessions & points argument I have left out with and against because I see it as a wash, mostly.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

Have you gone a day without trashing someone who is not pro EJ? NOPE!

Like I said to you before

I Troll Trolls. I can't help myself.

And the same questions applies to you to.

Yes, I actually have gone days ignoring Anti EJ posts by you and Fire Chan's and some others.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Does it matter if they run it in or if they throw it? The answer is of course not. The goal is to lead the team on scoring drives. They have all led scoring drives and some have been unlucky (the Gay missed chip shot). I believe that Buffalo Hokie (or someone like that) posted it the other day but Taylor has led them to 17 points on 6 drives (again vs. 1's and 2's). EJ has led them to 18 point on 9 drives (against mainly 3's). I do not know how we are chalking that up as a win for EJ and a loss for the others? This is the exact kind of stuff that is maddening!!

I think it's safe to say that Bills fans want their starting QB to show they can throw TD passes with regularity. That is the most important job for an NFL starting QB. My listing of facts was to help serve as a counterbalance to the whole "EJ sucks" drone heads. EJ is the only QB to prove he can throw TDs with regularity in preseason games.

Yes, it's of course true that the other two led scoring drives. While that's nice, that isn't what we are really looking for in our starting QB with all of these weapons, is it? A QB that can get the bills down there and have the RB punch it in every now and then? You must admit that if Cassel or Taylor fail to find the end zone against the Steelers that you will become annoyed they haven't done it yet in a Bills uniform. Am I right?

Edited by 1billsfan

I think it's safe to say that Bills fans want their starting QB to show they can throw TD passes with regularity. That is the most important job for an NFL starting QB. My listing of facts was to help serve as a counterbalance to the whole "EJ sucks" drone heads. EJ is the only QB to prove he can throw TDs with regularity in preseason games.

Yes, it's of course true that the other two led scoring drives. While that's nice, that isn't what we are really looking for in our starting QB with all of these weapons, is it? A QB that can get the bills down there and have the RB punch it in every now and then? You must admit that if Cassel or Taylor fail to find the end zone against the Steelers that you will become annoyed they haven't done it yet in a Bills uniform. Am I right?

No, it's not!!!! Their most important job is to win games!!!!!!! They do that by scoring points!!!!! If they get to the 1 yard line how many more points do they get for throwing it in vs. running it in?

What are you even talking about?!? This might be the most ridiculous post on the topic (or any topic) yet and that is saying something!!

I give up, if this is the kind of case that is being made I don't know how I can debate it. "No, we are not really looking for our starting QB to lead scoring drives because of our weapons." That's a really strong argument. This is like the Twilight Zone.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

/Thread

Insanity reigns! :doh:

Edited by PolishDave

I thought that the dumbest thing ever posted on here was trading Mario for Skelton. "A QB's job isn't to lead scoring drives" surpasses that (and by quite a bit).

I just got a chuckle out of it. I know what he was trying to say. It just came out wrong. That often happens on forums. I am guilty of "foot in mouth" many times also.

I just wonder how many people on this forum really think that EJ is the best QB on this team. I bet it is a really small number. I am confident that the vast majority of people on here probably realize he is good enough to be a backup at this point, but you wouldn't want to put the season on his shoulders.

Most of the judgments being made on the quarterbacks are being made on fairly little game time too. So it is entirely possible that the whole QB thing might flip flop from where it is now. Maybe Cassel will be great. Who knows? Maybe Tyrod Taylor will be great. Who knows? Maybe EJ will be great. Who knows? All we have is history to go buy. And everyone on this board has watched more games with EJ starting over the last couple seasons than they have watched with either of the other two guys starting. So all we can go on with Cassel is the few games most of us have seen him in, which were mostly mediocre at best. All we can go on with TT is what we have seen of him this preseason which has been pretty impressive at least as far as moving the chains goes. With EJ, we have a bunch of games to base our opinion on.

The thing is, most people here can't forget the bad things they saw from him in the past and look at him with a completely clean slate. They can't forget the bad stuff from the past. Maybe that is unfair to EJ because he was so raw then. I don't know. All I know is that even if I base my opinion on just what I have seen in the preseason so far, EJ still isn't good enough to be a starter. So far in the preseason, neither TT or Cassel has proven that to me. They both look capable. EJ might potentially be, but it would be the long shot of the 3.

If Rex starts EJ in the beginning of the game this weekend and he plays well, then Rex is going to set himself up for a quarterback controversy during the season the first time any other quarterback plays poorly. I doubt he wants that situation on his hands. And therefore I doubt he will give EJ the start.

No, it's not!!!! Their most important job is to win games!!!!!!! They do that by scoring points!!!!! If they get to the 1 yard line how many more points do they get for throwing it in vs. running it in?

What are you even talking about?!? This might be the most ridiculous post on the topic (or any topic) yet and that is saying something!!

I give up, if this is the kind of case that is being made I don't know how I can debate it. "No, we are not really looking for our starting QB to lead scoring drives because of our weapons." That's a really strong argument. This is like the Twilight Zone.

My point was that Bills fans aren't looking for a Matt Hasselbeck type of QB, they are looking for a QB that can throw TD passes. Things are going to get very ugly here if this is how this place is going to debate the QB topic.

I find it hard to believe that you didn't know what I was talking about. If this is how you roll then I'm going to be civil about it and just not debate you any longer.

My point was that Bills fans aren't looking for a Matt Hasselbeck type of QB, they are looking for a QB that can throw TD passes. Things are going to get very ugly here if this is how this place is going to debate the QB topic.

I find it hard to believe that you didn't know what I was talking about. If this is how you roll then I'm going to be civil about it and just not debate you any longer.

Even in concession you are making no sense. Matt Hasselbeck is a 3 time Pro-Bowler with a 203-148 record. He has completed over 60% in his career and has thrown for 35,000 yards. Those are numbers of a 10 year productive starter. That isn't what the Bills are looking for??? They are looking for a QB that can win - PERIOD.

No offense, but you really weren't debating. Your point made less sense than anything ever posted on here. The Bills want a QB to win games and lead scoring drives. That is what they are looking for. They do not care how they score as long as they win.

I do not care who wins the starting job as long as it is the right guy. I do take issue with absurdity in any topic. We cannot have an intelligent debate on the topic when people are saying things like "Yes, it's of course true that the other two led scoring drives. While that's nice, that isn't what we are really looking for in our starting QB with all of these weapons, is it?"

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Even in concession you making no sense. Matt Hasselbeck is a 3 time Pro-Bowler with a 203-148 record. He has completed over 60% in his career and has thrown for 35,000 yards. Those are numbers of a 10 year productive starter. That isn't what the Bills are looking for??? They are looking for a QB that can win - PERIOD.

No offense, but you really weren't debating. Your point made less sense then anything ever posted on here. The Bills want a QB to win games and lead scoring drives. That is what they are looking for. They do not care how they score as long as they win.

I do not care who wins the starting job as long as it is the right guy. I do take issue with absurdity in any topic. We cannot have an intelligent debate on the topic when people are saying things like "Yes, it's of course true that the other two led scoring drives. While that's nice, that isn't what we are really looking for in our starting QB with all of these weapons, is it?"

Elitism at it's worst. Stop pretending you didn't understand the argument, which was essentially, I want a quarterback who throws touchdown passes.

Even in concession you making no sense. Matt Hasselbeck is a 3 time Pro-Bowler with a 203-148 record. He has completed over 60% in his career and has thrown for 35,000 yards. Those are numbers of a 10 year productive starter. That isn't what the Bills are looking for??? They are looking for a QB that can win - PERIOD.

No offense, but you really weren't debating. Your point made less sense then anything ever posted on here. The Bills want a QB to win games and lead scoring drives. That is what they are looking for. They do not care how they score as long as they win.

It's been such a long time since Kelly left the stage that some Bills fans no longer know what a franchise QB even looks like or what he's supposed to do. So sad.

Elitism at it's worst. Stop pretending you didn't understand the argument, which was essentially, I want a quarterback who throws touchdown passes.

Given EJ's "drop the mic" perfect TD bomb pass against the 1st string defense to end training camp, I would think that both Cassel and Taylor will feel a little bit of pressure to throw at least one TD pass in the Steeler game. If they don't, at some point Rex and Roman are going to turn to themselves and start rethinking the QB depth chart.

So Cutler is one of the best QB's in the league.? He throws a lot of TD's. Plus INT's, fumbles, and is a butt. But hey he's usually in top 10 throwing TD's. How many playoff games has he won?

It's been such a long time since Kelly left the stage that some Bills fans no longer know what a franchise QB even looks like or what he's supposed to do. So sad.

Kelly's numbers aren't all that different from Hasselbeck!!

Given EJ's "drop the mic" perfect TD bomb pass against the 1st string defense to end training camp, I would think that both Cassel and Taylor will feel a little bit of pressure to throw at least one TD pass in the Steeler game. If they don't, at some point Rex and Roman are going to turn to themselves and start rethinking the QB depth chart.

No one cares about TD passes they care about scoring drives!!!!! Edited by Kirby Jackson