Preseason Game 2: 8/20 - Bills @ Browns at 8 PM ET on ESPN

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 10 takeaways from the game so far, in no particular order:

1. Taylor and Cassel are doing what everyone expected so whoever they choose to start will be very telling in terms of coaching mindset. Do they go with the safe Cassel or the more risk/reward Taylor? The middle ground and more innovative would be Cassel starts and Taylor plays 10-15 plays a game in certain packages.

2. As much as I hate to admit it, IK can play and makes the team.

3. They have no OL depth but I'm not going to kill them for it. They did a very good job upgrading the first team, Urbik will be okay so I think it's too much to ask that they shore up 2 starting spots and all the backups in 1 offseason. I also think the coaching staff will have a positive impact on the group and maybe Cyrus or Cyril become decent backups.

4. Don't be surprised if Thigpen makes the team. He's a really good return guy. If Hogan's out for the season that could open a slot for Thigpen. I also wouldn't assume Easley is a lock. I think his return ability is more important than a Thompson or Davis who probably will not even be in uniform on Sundays.

5. It's still stunning to me (and defies all odds) that all 5 running backs that started camp are hurt.

6. The preseason can't end soon enough.

7. With all the OTAs, I'm not worried about timing, familiarity, etc. If Orton can develop rapport with the receivers coming in cold right before the season and starts week 5, then whoever the QB is will be fine with the receivers.

8. 4 TEs will make this team. Right now my money's on Clay, Gray, Gragg and Mulligan. O'Leary to practice squad.

9. EJ makes the team. If you go by the "the best 53 make the team despite position, he's got to be in there.

10. If Rex is playing vanilla D and still has all these blitzes, imagine what he has in mind for the regular season.