Rules that need changing

Watching the Houston game and they have been called for a couple of illegal formation penalties. These calls are archaic and stupid. If a WR isn't in quite the right spot and a good play is called back on not a false start, holding or personal foul, but A WR is "covering" a TE because he is too close the line of scrimmage is detrimental to the game.

The rule should be five lineman on the line of scrimmage and that's it. TEs, WRs and backs can line up where ever they want.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching Gay put the ball out of play on kickoffs thus negating the entire concept of the KO had me thinking...

How about a rule which says the kicker must put the ball in play? This means the ball must come down on the field or in the end zone, but it is a penalty if it goes out of bounds to the side or past the end zone.

You could even limit the kick to the field itself (penalty if ball lands in end zone). It would ensure more returns and add a dimension of skill to the KO on the part of the kicker, like a punter with a "coffin corner" punt.

The trick would be to kick high and far, but not so far as to land in end zone for the penalty.

I think the illegal hands to the face, defensive holding, illegal contact all 5 and an automatic first down needs to be changed. That's a nasty penalty every time it happens as the offense automatically gains a be set if down.

The illegal hands to face should just be a 10 yard penalty and replay down as should the defensive folding. Keep the illegal contact penalty as it is.

Watching Gay put the ball out of play on kickoffs thus negating the entire concept of the KO had me thinking...

How about a rule which says the kicker must put the ball in play? This means the ball must come down on the field or in the end zone, but it is a penalty if it goes out of bounds to the side or past the end zone.

You could even limit the kick to the field itself (penalty if ball lands in end zone). It would ensure more returns and add a dimension of skill to the KO on the part of the kicker, like a punter with a "coffin corner" punt.

The trick would be to kick high and far, but not so far as to land in end zone for the penalty.

I've always thought that too. Also, change the touchback to the 15 yard line and you might see a lot more returns. I know that the NFL wants LESS returns but not me. As a kid and young adult watching and playing the game, my favorite play was always kickoff. Now, it's so anticlimactic at the beginning of the game.

I seem to recall there being a lot of discussion about the NFL wanting more touchbacks because they feel the kickoff is a dangerous play and that rule changes have been put in place to promote less returns.

They should surely have two different interference penalties, like the old roughing the kicker versus running into the kicker. If it's just blatant interference when the defender just tackles or hits or does not make a move on the ball, it should be spot of the foul and automatic first down like it is now. If it's inadvertent, he tries to make a play, etc, it should be five yards and maybe or maybe not an automatic first down. Way, way too many unnecessary yards given to the offense on DPI penalties.

I think you have to be careful. There's a reason rules get made in the first place. I'm not against removing this particular rule, but I can't say why it exists in the first place.

no need to be careful here just some dumb rule from the past when defense was king and make it harder on the O, times have changed, we need more scoring.

I think picks, multiple players in motion and loosening up on holding on run plays should implemented as well.

sounds good but the League wants less returns and less injuries

I think the illegal hands to the face, defensive holding, illegal contact all 5 and an automatic first down needs to be changed. That's a nasty penalty every time it happens as the offense automatically gains a be set if down.

The illegal hands to face should just be a 10 yard penalty and replay down as should the defensive folding. Keep the illegal contact penalty as it is.

college rules for passing

They should surely have two different interference penalties, like the old roughing the kicker versus running into the kicker. If it's just blatant interference when the defender just tackles or hits or does not make a move on the ball, it should be spot of the foul and automatic first down like it is now. If it's inadvertent, he tries to make a play, etc, it should be five yards and maybe or maybe not an automatic first down. Way, way too many unnecessary yards given to the offense on DPI penalties.

college rules, no automatic first downs

I love the idea, but if anything the league is more likely to eliminate kickoffs and just have them start at the 20. They want fewer returns because of injury risks. I think the only reason they keep them is because onside kicks are crucial to comebacks, and are an exciting part of the game.

1. PI max distance 15 yards

2. No defenseless WR penalty against the defender when the WR changes position at the moment of impact - this is completely unfair to the defender. Unless the defender launches and leaves his feet for the hit, the defender should not be penalized because a WR suddenly crouches down and a hit that would have been to the chest/shoulders becomes a head shot.

3. Eliminate the KO.

4. Stiff arm to the facemask is a 5 yard penalty from spot of the foul - it is unfair to the defender

Watching the Houston game and they have been called for a couple of illegal formation penalties. These calls are archaic and stupid. If a WR isn't in quite the right spot and a good play is called back on not a false start, holding or personal foul, but A WR is "covering" a TE because he is too close the line of scrimmage is detrimental to the game.

The rule should be five lineman on the line of scrimmage and that's it. TEs, WRs and backs can line up where ever they want.

All they need to do is look to the sideline and get confirmation that they are lined up properly. The WR made a mistake and the team paid for it.

What I'd like to see enforced more regularly...o-linemen lining up in a "V" formation. Center, then the guards lined up at the center's hip, then the tackles lined up at the hip of the guard. Some teams (pro and NCAA) really stretch this and it gives them an advantage in pass protection. Throw the damn flag.

I've always thought that too. Also, change the touchback to the 15 yard line and you might see a lot more returns. I know that the NFL wants LESS returns but not me. As a kid and young adult watching and playing the game, my favorite play was always kickoff. Now, it's so anticlimactic at the beginning of the game.

I agree regarding the kick offs. The start of a game can be awesome with the crowd roaring reaching a peak as the ball is kicked. When the ball is kicked out of the end zone it deflates the crowd.

All they need to do is look to the sideline and get confirmation that they are lined up properly. The WR made a mistake and the team paid for it.

What I'd like to see enforced more regularly...o-linemen lining up in a "V" formation. Center, then the guards lined up at the center's hip, then the tackles lined up at the hip of the guard. Some teams (pro and NCAA) really stretch this and it gives them an advantage in pass protection. Throw the damn flag.

yeah but who cares, it has NO bearing on the play and to have it nullify a TD or 1st down is retarded.

I don't mind the V, just need to crack down on holding.

yes I know, that' why I said no automatic

That would make it a little too easy on plays with more than 15 yards to go to just automatically trip or tackle the guy if you are beat. That's why I suggested the two penalties like roughing. If it's blatant you get a big penalty, if it's inadvertent but still PI it's just a penalty and replay the down but it doesn't kill you.

yeah but who cares, it has NO bearing on the play and to have it nullify a TD or 1st down is retarded.

I don't mind the V, just need to crack down on holding.

I'm sure someone could draw up some obnoxious formations if you no longer have to follow that rule. Anyone care to give some examples, if the guy doesn't have to be on the line?

That's a good idea.