Rules that need changing

Neither does holding away from the play.

Neither does a CB jumping off sides on a running play.

Neither does...

It's a rule, get it right.

the point is it should not be a rule, I got right, jumping offsides and holding are legitimate penalties not comparable with were the Skill players line up.

I agree. But I would like to understand why these rules exist.

I wonder if it has to do with player safety, but I have no idea.

no, it has to do with making it easier for defenses to defend in the old days and are no longer relevant in todays game of wanting increased scoring.

Been ranting about it for years on this board: offensive pass interference should result in a loss of a down. The offense shouldn't be allowed to replay the down after tactically negating a turnover .

agreed

So, if I understand your position, a CB would just regularly molest the WR on passes that would likely result in a TD otherwise. Right? And if the play was, say 3rd and 20, the penalty wouldn't even cost the D all that much. As a former DB that would be great---except it would make the game a joke, IMO.

just like college, it works there it would work in the NFL

The Tuck rule was scrapped two years ago. So when you tuck the ball in and lose it, it is a fumble.

The penalties challengeable should be unbounded, but still limited to the 2 challenges/game rules that we have now. Ie you can challenge a holding call, but unless it conclusively was not holding or another infraction, you lose your timeout and challenge. Or a PI call where the DB was judged to have hit early, but the replay shows that the timing was correct (we have seen this called before). Another is the the launching rule, where your player may be saved ejection if replay shows that he didn't target the head and stayed on the ground.

Edit: the NFL should bring back the European league to develop talent regardless of profitability. MLB subsidizes its farm teams so they don't go belly up as you know those Rookie League teams wouldn't be able to afford the salaries of 35 players when 400 people show up to the game; the same should apply for football, where they play the game with NFL rules and develop the brand overseas in the process so they can have their own startup leagues flourish as well.

I liked NFL Europe but would rather have farm teams here.

I would really like Europe and the world to develop their own American Football like they did for soccer.

also, i don't know why the offensive line can't move as much as the defensive line before the snap. the less penalties called in a game, the better

The offense line moving would cause massive offsides creating more penalties. The offense knows the snap count so it is on them to move on the snap count. I am for multiple skill players in motion, this would help neutralize the college passing rules I want installed but still keep the game exciting to watch.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just like college, it works there it would work in the NFL

Not really. In college it IS an automatic first down. Kelly pointed that out to you, and you said you understood, that's why you added "and no automatic first down". Maybe you are confusing it with high school football, where there is no automatic first down.

So, again, in your system, a PI on 3 and 20 a 50 yard (potential TD) pass would result in a 15 yard penalty and no first down? I think that is far too little punishment and would result in regular molestation of WRs. Not really a game I'd care to watch.

Motion and formation penalties serve a purpose, I think. The game works just fine with them, and it isn't as if there are a ton of illegal formation penalties clogging up the flow of the game. Letting the offense move without restriction would change the game significantly.

I'd make one or two small adjustments with the Instant Reply system. 1st, I'd let any play be reviewable. But since you get only 1 per half, I'm not worried about the game being held up too much. And my 2nd change would take care of overuse.

2nd, the standard for overturning would be Obviously Miscalled. The review should take about 15 seconds of viewing. If the ref didn't "clearly blow the call" the call on the field stands. It's preposterous to look, repeatedly, from many angles, to see if a toe didn't graze the grass, etc... And, since this process has shown to be far from perfect--good calls get overturned and bad calls upheld all the time--it takes away a standard that cannot realistically be achieved. After all, didn't reply get momentum from some horrendous calls in big games?

the point is it should not be a rule, I got right, jumping offsides and holding are legitimate penalties not comparable with were the Skill players line up.

Your objection seems to be that the infraction didn't affect the play. Same with the two I gave & I could go on.

I'd like to see them reconsider how the draft order is determined each year. Teams like, well, us, the Browns, Raiders have been looking for a franchise QB since forever but the Colts get to draft Luck right after having Manning for so many years just because Manning happened to get hurt the year Luck comes out? Just doesn't seem right to me.

No. No. No. The NHL is trying to do that and there's no good way to do it. If you want the 1st then be the worst.

No. No. No. The NHL is trying to do that and there's no good way to do it. If you want the 1st then be the worst.

Cumulative record say over the past 3 years I think would be an idea worth looking into. You can't expect players who are playing for their own personal careers to just flop so that the team can draft someone better to take over their spot.

Edited by Talley56