EJ 4-8 with two drops and one scramble and bad throw

Jmsbills

How does the topic title not mention the TD?

Yeah - biggest QB takeaway I had was that it's not clear Simms is worth a practice squad slot. They may well keep all three "starters".

We'll see if anyone distinguishes themselves next week I guess.

(2nd?) Biggest worry/interest tonight was the OLine and you've got to love how the 1's looked even w/o Icognito.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did not look good to you? What game were you watching? The bad snaps were not his fault at all...He had one bad throw on the run after he had a beautiful escape on a sure sack...The pass to Goodwin was a dart that was catch-able...The two drops by the TE's were bad drops...The TD pass was perfect...Plus he stepped up in the pocket away from pressure on that TD throw...

I thought EJ looked fine tonight... B-)

I am an EJ supporter but have had to back off lately and realize he's not the guy. The two bad throws were so bad for two reasons - one they were just miserable throws coming off scrambling out of trouble (the one to Lewis that wasn't close and the one to O'Leary that fell terribly short) and the second reason is it's what he needs to be his strength.

He scrambles beautifully rolls out and just isn't close to two wide open receivers. It's so frustrating because if he makes those throws it thrusts him into the conversation - conversely it IMO totally removes him from it. Crucial mistakes to his career.

Cassel looked fine. Tyrod looked better. EJ did not look that good to me but hit some throws including a great deep ball TD.

No reason we shouldn't go into the season with all 3. I'm came away from this game more positive about all three of our qbs.

Time to upgrade to HD ? EJ looked sweet.

I feel much better about our options at QB, all three did well and did what they do:

Cassel = Manage the game, no chances, no long throws;

Taylor = happy feet, ran all over, Mr. Excitement, a few good throws;

EJ = Looked like he was playing with the 3rd string, all but the one throw was on target, & the long TD.

The bad news, I do not see anything settled, and the battle continues

Again, that report from Taylor makes me excited and worried at the same time. Cassel was good for what was dialed up. EJ was hung out on 2 snaps from Urbik and then stepped up. I'll say that O'Leary turned up field when EJ was on the run but either way he would have underthrown him.

Between the three QBs they are $8 million against the cap, which has to be in the bottom 25% of the league so there is absolutely no salary cap implications keeping all three. I don't see where they don't keep all three.

All did pretty well tonight, don't forget that the one pass that Cassel had that was incomplete should have been caught by Hogan, otherwise he's 8-8. He also had a nice pass to Watkins that was negated by a penalty. So Cassel was pretty good. The thing with Taylor is that if he's the starter teams will game plan for him and a lot of those runs go away. A good example was the third and long that he scrambled, the Panthers' D did a good job at contain and he picked up a few yards but the result was 4th and 3. It was like what happened with the Browns and Manziel last year, he comes in the first series vs. Buffalo and he scrambles around and they score. Then, the Bills picked up on what he does and shut him down, and then the rest of the league had film on him and he did nothing in the remaining games that he played. That's the risk with Taylor.

Overall, the 2 things I took from tonight in terms of the QBs are (10 they all can execute to some degree; and (2) this coaching staff/Roman is very good at tailoring the offense to the personnel's strengths. They called plays that would work for them. The other thing is that the running game is going to be way, way better. John Miller may end up a real steal as a third round pick, he looked very good.

His 'bad throw' could have been better but the receiver did fall down. I saw more of a miscues between WR and QB than bad throw. Then again Jim Kelly said it was a bad throw, so must be???

O'Leary turned upfield and then fell and EJ never set his feet to throw, on both of them IMO.

Edited by The Wiz

I am an EJ supporter but have had to back off lately and realize he's not the guy. The two bad throws were so bad for two reasons - one they were just miserable throws coming off scrambling out of trouble (the one to Lewis that wasn't close and the one to O'Leary that fell terribly short) and the second reason is it's what he needs to be his strength.

He scrambles beautifully rolls out and just isn't close to two wide open receivers. It's so frustrating because if he makes those throws it thrusts him into the conversation - conversely it IMO totally removes him from it. Crucial mistakes to his career.

I don't know...He throws a 51 yd TD that is dead on the money and has two, possibly three drops on throws that would have been first downs...But he's not good enough because he misses the scramble throws?

EJ is a good athlete for a guy his size, and yes it would be nice to see him finish those scrambles, but how he throws on the run is not going to make or break him IMHO...The key to EJ is not how he does when he's running for his life...It's how he throws from the pocket, and even more so how he throws from the pocket under pressure...And it looks to me like he's improving in that area...Baby steps I guess...

But I do agree in a way...If EJ makes those throws he's going to be hard to keep on the sidelines...Of course that would also mean he was pretty much perfect tonight...

On a side note I thought Cassel looked fine and TT looked good as well...So I'm not too worried no matter... B-)

The Bills had the right plan with him, but Kolb threw a wrench into it. He is a player that needed 2-3 years before he was the "starter".

Possibly. And Taylor got 4 years to sit and learn while Cassel got 3 and then was handed the keys to a Ferrari.

I feel much better about our options at QB, all three did well and did what they do:

Cassel = Manage the game, no chances, no long throws;

Taylor = happy feet, ran all over, Mr. Excitement, a few good throws;

EJ = Looked like he was playing with the 3rd string, all but the one throw was on target, & the long TD.

The bad news, I do not see anything settled, and the battle continues

All three guys will get a good look over the next two games. I suspect Cassell starts week 2 and then they give Tyrod week 2 meaningful snaps, EJ continues mop up. Week 3 they give the start to EJ and the second have to TT.

7 on target throws with one bad. Made good decisions and good reads. Showed good mobility. What didn't look good besides the one very bad throw?

Exactly as I witnessed it as well.

EJ cannot run to his left and make that bad throw to O'Leary; he should have kept running instead.

TT is exciting and can make plays with his legs. But he bails if his first guy isn't there and takes off. He can make plays but he can't make a living as an NFL quarterback if he won't stay in the pocket.

I love our defense. Darby will continue to get a babtism under fire, but positionally, he was where he needed to be and it took perfect passes and a physical mismatch to beat him.

Karlos Williams was a revelation. He is hard to play against.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

The key will be the next practice. Rex set this up with Cassel & Tyrod getting first and second team reps. If that stays true stays, EJ is clearly #3 and will need Cassel or TT to get injured. I think Rex loves TT's running ability and it will play out one of three ways with the likelihood in the following order.

Possible combos

Probable: Cassel 1, TT 2, EJ 3

Possible: TT 1, EJ 2, Cassel 3

Least likely: EJ 1, TT 2, Cassel 3

All three guys will get a good look over the next two games. I suspect Cassell starts week 2 and then they give Tyrod week 2 meaningful snaps, EJ continues mop up. Week 3 they give the start to EJ and the second have to TT.

naw, tyrod or ej gotta get the start next week, probably tyrod since he seems more ready. They cant get a fair comparison if all 3 do the same snaps every week. They each need to get a shot with/against the starters.

This is going to be a tought choice, they are look equally bad/good for different reasons, so it is impossible to compare the 3 of them. I think it isn't going to come down to who is the best QB, but the best one that fits the system. They are all about equal imo, but each has a completely different skillset