Ok, I give up -- EJ will be 3rd string or cut

eball

I don't think they'll get rid of anybody. What I've thought for awhile is that either TT or EJ would win the starting spot and Cassel would be #2 (pretty much no matter what.)

However, in the event of an injury I think that Cassel won't be anointed the starter but whomever is the #3 will leapfrog him. I think they like the vet presence in the locker and film rooms and trust him more to come off the bench in a game if need be but with a whole week of preparation they'd prefer to go with one of the younger guys who bring more to the table.

from what i understand, i don't think NFL third string QBs get enough work during the week to 'leapfrog' the backup. if you're third stringer is getting reps with the first team, i guess that's a possibility

edit..

so again, if Cassel is in effect you're #3, then give him the courtesy of becoming a true #2 elsewhere. but i do think this may be moot if the staff is as disinterested in EJ as being reported

Edited by BackInDaDay

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not confident that any of the QBs can consistently make that throw. With that being said, I don't think that a team can take that chance. They are going to hit some of them if they single him.

With the given arm strengths, I am less confident of Cassel making that throw than the other two. If I was an opposing D, I would gamble against that deep pass if Cassel were at QB. I am sure Roman doesn't want to shut off any option and the coaches will go with the QB who can consistently move the chains. If Cassel is another captain checkdown, then IMHO the job is TT's.

My two cents on this topic. I don't see EJ being cut. He is not separating himself from the other two, which suggests that maybe he just isn't starter material. Cassel isn't going anywhere either. The Bills front office isn't going to release him "just to give him a chance to be a starter" somewhere else. That type of mentality is short bus material. Taylor is not so much Ryan's guy, but Roman's guy. Let's not forget just how much Roman did with Kaepernick in San Francisco. At this point, Taylor is the closest thing to Kaepernick on the Bills roster. I really wanted EJ to have the opportunity to grow into our guy. At this point, I'm just not seeing it.

given the luxury of a top 5 D, strong STs, and an NFL OC who's 'been there - done that' - i'd go to war with a QB roster that includes Taylor, Manuel, and Brad Smith (ex Missouri QB is still unsigned).

guess you can add me to that 'love the fact he's not the Bills GM' list :D

given the luxury of a top 5 D, strong STs, and an NFL OC who's 'been there - done that' - i'd go to war with a QB roster that includes Taylor, Manuel, and Brad Smith (ex Missouri QB is still unsigned).

guess you can add me to that 'love the fact he's not the Bills GM' list :D

Done!

Cassel isn't going anywhere either. The Bills front office isn't going to release him "just to give him a chance to be a starter" somewhere else.

if that was posted somewhere in this discussion, i agree.

if you're referring to my "give him the courtesy of becoming a true #2 elsewhere" comment, then i don't think that such things are uncommon in the pros.

Done!

:lol:

I'll just let things sort out since I am unable to do the Vulcan Mind Meld with Ryan to know exactly what he is thinking. However, it would not make a whole lot of sense to have a QB you think might be the starter have reps primarily if not entirely with the third string, which is what is happening at the moment with EJ. So it seems to me that either EJ is relegated to third string or Ryan is an idiot. Since Ryan seemed to make a mess of the QB situation with the Jets, the later possibility isn't entirely remote.

I'll just let things sort out since I am unable to do the Vulcan Mind Meld with Ryan to know exactly what he is thinking. However, it would not make a whole lot of sense to have a QB you think might be the starter have reps primarily if not entirely with the third string, which is what is happening at the moment with EJ. So it seems to me that either EJ is relegated to third string or Ryan is an idiot. Since Ryan seemed to make a mess of the QB situation with the Jets, the later possibility isn't entirely remote.

in Rex's defense, the closest thing to Cassel that Rex had at QB was Sanchez - and they seemed to be building something until the owner got a woody over Tebow.

the best part of all of this, is that Cassel may be as good or better than Orton.. so if he starts- with this O and this OC -we should win more than 9 games. just don't bet the 'over'.

as a fan, who couldn't stay seated during the Kelly era, i'd prefer a dynamic offense - but doing enough's enough, when enough's enough.

in my unpopular scenario, i'd release Cassel out of fairness to him.. letting him latch on as a #2 elsewhere. don't be surprised if whoever our #3 is, becomes the backup on the Jets. just sayin. ;)

Its good business sense for players to know they will be treated well when the team decides to in another direction. Not only would it be kind to Cassel to let him go when we decide EJ is the man (with TT as the other option) or kind to EJ to let him walk as soon as decide to go Cassel/TT.

However, the two pieces of QB news from the Panthers game are:

Cassel demonstrated great efficiency in his stint,

Taylor correctly turned some heads by leading the team to two TDs

EJ threw by far the best pass of the night dropping in a singular bomb for a TD while overall connecting on over 50% of his passes.

However, as smart as it is to let these three players continue to try to build upon the good things they actually did on the field, it would be dumb to simply give the #1 job to any of these three when they have not earned it on the field.

Cassel did not produce any points.

Taylor was flat out great but must do it again before one counts on him

EJ threw best pass of the night and finished + 50 but also a couple of glaring errors accompanied plus night for him.

Generally good news for all but no one grabbed the job and cutting any one of them would be stupid as no one won the job.

Apparently Cassel has looked great against the Browns today. Wonderful. This is the worst case scenario. If Meh keeps looking so competent maybe they actually keep him instead of handing the reins over to EJ. That would set this franchise back several years.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

EJ can't start at this point.. i was hoping he'd respond well enough in practice to prove that he can make the right decision more often than not - allowing the coaches to keep him on as a back-up. then he could build on the success from camp. this would have been an ideal situation for Roman, Taylor and Manuel, as the two athletic guys could have brought a dimension to the O that Cassel can't. but the reality seems to be, that Manuel just hasn't performed well enough to warrant his being the back-up. i feel bad for him - like i did JP - but he's had his chances. if we were given the tape and the critique of what the staff wanted to see from him, and what they saw, we'd have a better understanding of where he failed - but that's not the coaches job. maybe better informed reporters would ask more pointed questions regarding Manuel's play to illicit an explanation - rather than posting personal observations like "EJ just threw one into the lunch truck". why did EJ throw that one away? what were you running, and what did he miss? understanding why one beautifully thrown ball in a game doesn't alter a coach's perspective isn't something that's gonna be volunteered - but if the right questions were asked, we'd all have a better idea why he's where he is.

Apparently Cassel has looked great against the Browns today. Wonderful. This is the worst case scenario. If Meh keeps looking so competent maybe they actually keep him instead of handing the reins over to EJ. That would set this franchise back several years.

Are you on drugs ?

I can't tell if there's sarcasm going on here. Cryptic stuff.

I am in love with the fact that you're not Buffalo's GM.

+1

This thread has "officially" turned ludicrous and bat-sh*t crazy.....some of the ideas / notions / opinions being strewn about at this point are so illogical it screams mental health issues.

I think a lot of people are looking at this wrong. Cassel and Tyrod look to be in front. But if you look at the first two preseason games, the 1 and the 2 play a quarter each the 3 typically plays the whole second half. Cassel and Tyrod are splitting first team reps, with EJ virtually getting all the second. They could be playing him a lot more getting him confidence and to see what he's supposed to be seeing.

I could be wrong. It just seems incredibly hard to believe that EJ would be so far back when imho they've all been very similar, with EJ having played probably better than Cassel in the preseason game. Whoever is the 1 week 3 will determine who is the starter, and if it's not EJ then I'll resign to the fact that he's not going to start this season. I just think Rex had a plan and it's hard to believe EJ would be out of the mix when his opinion has been on level as these other two guys, not to mention his ceiling is seemingly a lot higher.

+1This thread has "officially" turned ludicrous and bat-sh*t crazy.....some of the ideas / notions / opinions being strewn about at this point are so illogical it screams mental health issues.

Well, the thread title does say EJ will be cut. That does suggest some instability.

I'm disappointed if the Bills organization has decided that E.J. will be the 3rd string QB (or released). Teams will not respect Cassel's ability to throw deep, making it more difficult on our running game.

Edited by rickenbru

In 2013, Ryan Tannehill second year in NFL his stats were 58% com pct.12 tds and 13 int. 76.1 QB rating. that's 16 games second year in NFL. Manuel after 14 games 58% com pct.16 tds. and 12 int. and only going into his 3rd year in the NFL you want to cut him. Not saying he is a going to be all pro, but I think he has chance to start in the NFL.. Taylor doesn't have any starts in the NFL, but he has been in the NFL two years longer. I like both Taylor and Manuel I want both of them to do good. If Taylor starts I hope he can last the entire year. Would be nice to have two decent young QBs.

Edited by Hanoverbills