Ok, I give up -- EJ will be 3rd string or cut

eball

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rehashing old stuff here, but I thought EJ looked very good on Friday. He actually seemed to be doing what he promised to do - play with more spontaneity, letting his talent show. I was watching on the Red Zone channel so I only saw bits and pieces of the game, but here's what stuck with me: they'd cut away to the Giants game and Ryan Nassib looked awful. EJ looked like an NFL QB; Nassib looked like some small college guy who sneaked onto an NFL field. Which reinforces what everyone says -- that was a really bad QB cohort in EJ's year. EJ will get another chance, probably elsewhere since running with the 3s is, at this point, a really, really bad sign for him. I hope he makes it somewhere.

I will go on record as saying I'll be very frustrated if Matthew Lee Mulligan Smith makes the team over any of Goodwin, Hogan, or Easley.

The only rationale for keeping his is that the team is very light on OTs. I don't expect him to be anything but a blocking body.

This is the root of it. They aren't keeping him as a reliable pass catcher. They have an abundance of those ahead of them (McCoy, Clay, Watkins, Woods, Harvin). They are keeping Goodwin to make big plays. I think that both guys make the team though.

If one of them is going to play 8 snaps a game who will do more with those 8 snaps? IMO, it is Goodwin. If one of those top 3 receivers gets hurt and you need a guy playing 20-30 snaps a game it is Hogan. They are totally different.

Kirby, you have been stating this for a long time. I don't necessarily disagree with you. But, you are concluding that because Goodwin has world class speed, he is or could be a "big play" guy. In two years, I can remember only two "big plays". Just because we don't see Hogan beating his man on a fly pattern doesn't mean that he doesn't make some big plays.

Also, don't forget that Hogan didn't really play football in college. He is still a rookie in terms of experience. He is big & he is very fast. Not as fast as Goodwin but still not just a "possession receiver".

I think that both make the team & both will find ways to contribute.

@TyDunne

HC Rex Ryan says not to read into reps, though you probably should. EJ Manuel becoming the odd man out at QB: http://mobile.buffalonews.com/sectionfront/content/?content=71530078&type=P1&story=Manuel%20looks%20like%20odd%20quarterback%20out

like Orton, Fitzpatrick, etc.. Cassel is a fine backup in a current pro-style NFL offense, but i'll be disappointed if he's not released to explore #2 duties elsewhere. because like most the other mediocre back-up pocket passers across the NFL, it's easier for a D to keep Cassel's game in front of them. this compresses where the O can attack, and lets the D pressure both the passing and run game with less consequences. a combination of TT backed up by Manuel would allow Roman to create a dynamic offense that can stretch the field in all directions - keeping the pressure on the D.

judging by popular opinion, i guess i'm the looney one.. but regardless of how good our D may be (and frankly, i'm concerned with our CBs in Ryan's D) i can't understand why a coach wouldn't want a QB who could keep the D honest. since Kelly, Bledsoe was the last QB we had with a vertical game. Losman had the arm, but couldn't move the chains. has EJ looked that bad in practice? because he looked like he improved enough to compete - certainly enough to back-up a dynamic player like Taylor, allowing Roman to keep most of his gameplan intact if TT goes down.

Tough business, but it appears that at least now Cassell is in a fight for number one with TT and that will eat up first team snaps, and then the snaps will be geared for acclimating number one and number two for the season. EJ gets third QB, or cut. EJ may find a place elsewhere, Ryan has seen all three do plenty of work in the last few months, and it is certainly time to get ready for the regular season.

The only rationale for keeping his is that the team is very light on OTs. I don't expect him to be anything but a blocking body.

I hate that rationale...if he's a blocking body only, then cut him. When you want an extra blocker, put Urbik or Kouandjio in there as a tackle-eligible and let them block...guarantee you they're better at it than Mulligansmith

The thing I favor is to let this be decided by the quality of play on the field.

I have zero need to decide to cut anyone for the next couple of weeks because my first priority is to assess the performance of various Bills player candidates, second to make rolling decisions in my own mind with my fellow coaches and alter the reps to move beyond assessment to building chemistry, and third to reveal these decisions in order, to the players, to the Bills fans and third to my opponents so they have as little time as possible to gameplan in the heads of opposing coaches or implement a gameplan on the field.

I also want to wait to cut folks because events like those which ended Jariu Wynn's season can happen in the blink of an eye. If I love Cassel and I am interested in Tyrod, but both go down then I'm an EJ fan. Alternately, if I am an EJ booster but he and Tyrod go down I am suddenly a Cassel booster because overall I am a Bills fan.

Do not cut anyone today or quite frankly til September. If we need to give someone some more reps we should not do this through cuts that help our opponents. Instead, step up and dole out reps as fits our interests.

The competition is a great tool to produce improvement amongst the QBs. The fact that all three showed well in the first preseason game is testament to that. I cant help but think back to last preseason and how pathetic the whole thing was. No dog in this fight, I just want the best man to win and ultimately the Bills. I trust this staff to do what is right.

Hold on to all 3 QBs! My opinion.

Kirby, you have been stating this for a long time. I don't necessarily disagree with you. But, you are concluding that because Goodwin has world class speed, he is or could be a "big play" guy. In two years, I can remember only two "big plays". Just because we don't see Hogan beating his man on a fly pattern doesn't mean that he doesn't make some big plays.

Also, don't forget that Hogan didn't really play football in college. He is still a rookie in terms of experience. He is big & he is very fast. Not as fast as Goodwin but still not just a "possession receiver".

I think that both make the team & both will find ways to contribute.

The thing about Goodwin, and Rex even alluded to it, is that you have to keep help over the top. He will beat every single corner in the league 1-on-1. This opens up things underneath. Even if he doesn't make the play (which he has been open a lot deep) he helps.

What if they single Goodwin out right with trips left? Taylor rolls right and Goodwin runs deep. If Goodwin beats the corner with no help, you have a shot at the bomb. If there is help over the top there is a MASSIVE running lane for Tyrod when he turns the corner. It is a small example but it shows you the types of things that you can do with him. He is not an every down player IMO and won't be if there are injuries. That will be Hogan. Hogan has a lot of physical skills but to date he has been used primarily as a possession guy.

I hate that rationale...if he's a blocking body only, then cut him. When you want an extra blocker, put Urbik or Kouandjio in there as a tackle-eligible and let them block...guarantee you they're better at it than Mulligansmith

I always get frustrated with that. Lee Smith was considered a good blocking TE but in reality he was a tackle. He was a terrible blocking tackle. If the guy is no threat at all with the ball in his hands he is a tackle.

I always get frustrated with that. Lee Smith was considered a good blocking TE but in reality he was a tackle. He was a terrible blocking tackle. If the guy is no threat at all with the ball in his hands he is a tackle.

Thank you.

I actually thought that the extra OT approach was one that Roman favored pretty regularly in SF, using Jonathan Martin and Daniel Kilgore as blocking TEs. Surprised he's so high on Mulligan--of course maybe that's Rex.

Or, better yet, that's something they're planning on doing during the regular season and simply aren't showing it yet; choosing instead to use Mulligan in the spot that Uribk/Kouandjio will occupy during the season.

The thing about Goodwin, and Rex even alluded to it, is that you have to keep help over the top. He will beat every single corner in the league 1-on-1. This opens up things underneath. Even if he doesn't make the play (which he has been open a lot deep) he helps.

i agree.. but are you confident in Cassel's ability to make that play? because if MC isn't capable of hitting anything more than quick timing routes, all our receivers' speed becomes an 'after catch' attribute.

DC's will not be threatened after witnessing our inability to take advantage of such coverage. maybe i'm selling Cassel short - no pun intended - but i don't see him having a big arm

i agree.. but are you confident in Cassel's ability to make that play? because if MC isn't capable of hitting anything more than quick timing routes, all our receivers' speed becomes an 'after catch' attribute.

DC's will not be threatened after witnessing our inability to take advantage of such coverage. maybe i'm selling Cassel short - no pun intended - but i don't see him having a big arm

I'm not confident that any of the QBs can consistently make that throw. With that being said, I don't think that a team can take that chance. They are going to hit some of them if they single him.

in my unpopular scenario, i'd release Cassel out of fairness to him.. letting him latch on as a #2 elsewhere. don't be surprised if whoever our #3 is, becomes the backup on the Jets. just sayin. ;)

Why would it be fair to Cassel to release him? I'm sure he wants to keep collecting a paycheck as opposed to being cut.

like Orton, Fitzpatrick, etc.. Cassel is a fine backup in a current pro-style NFL offense, but i'll be disappointed if he's not released to explore #2 duties elsewhere. because like most the other mediocre back-up pocket passers across the NFL, it's easier for a D to keep Cassel's game in front of them. this compresses where the O can attack, and lets the D pressure both the passing and run game with less consequences. a combination of TT backed up by Manuel would allow Roman to create a dynamic offense that can stretch the field in all directions - keeping the pressure on the D.

I don't think they'll get rid of anybody. What I've thought for awhile is that either TT or EJ would win the starting spot and Cassel would be #2 (pretty much no matter what.)

However, in the event of an injury I think that Cassel won't be anointed the starter but whomever is the #3 will leapfrog him. I think they like the vet presence in the locker and film rooms and trust him more to come off the bench in a game if need be but with a whole week of preparation they'd prefer to go with one of the younger guys who bring more to the table.

I don't think they'll get rid of anybody. What I've thought for awhile is that either TT or EJ would win the starting spot and Cassel would be #2 (pretty much no matter what.)

However, in the event of an injury I think that Cassel won't be anointed the starter but whomever is the #3 will leapfrog him. I think they like the vet presence in the locker and film rooms and trust him more to come off the bench in a game if need be but with a whole week of preparation they'd prefer to go with one of the younger guys who bring more to the table.

This seems like a logical take on the situation.

Why would it be fair to Cassel to release him? I'm sure he wants to keep collecting a paycheck as opposed to being cut.

he'll be picked up in a flash.. he's a veteran QB who fits well into any run-first scheme that uses play action reads downfield. which, i guess, is why he's here.. i just think our O could be scary with TT - regardless of down and distance.. and i think Manuel could give us some of both TT's and MC's game. but i don't see what the coaches see, and it sounds like i'm wrong about EJ.