Hard Knocks. Houston Texans

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were trying hard to present fresh story lines but it wasn't working.

How many years in a row can you tell the story about the hard working untalented undrafted long shot fighting to make the team.

It seems to me that all of "reality" television is about telling essentially the same uninteresting stories about the same kinds of uninteresting people over and over again. For some reason, people watch it.

Mike Vrabel is a real butt head, and if I were a Texan's LB I would break his jaw.

It seems to me that all of "reality" television is about telling essentially the same uninteresting stories about the same kinds of uninteresting people over and over again. For some reason, people watch it.

At the very least choose an interesting team. The Houston Texans? Really? If I see Bianca Wilfork one more time I'm boycotting the show.

Think how awesome Bills camp would have been... oh well. probably for the best that it wasn't us.

all i can say is, thank god the Texans have JJ Watt. I've never seen such a boring team in my life. they literally have no stars on that team. it's a bunch of misfits. this is by far the worst season of Hard Knocks imo

I watched that episode last night and all I could think of when O'Brian informed Hoyer and Mallet was, "Damn, the Bills are going to name Cassel the starter, aren't they?" O'Brian kept saying, "consistency" and not once did I see him mention any of Mallet's advantages. He even said that their consistency wasn't that different. If it's not that different why go with Hoyer?!!

Coaches would rather get the known, crappy, commodity, than go with the unknown.

It's cheap to make in general. Reality TV doesn't need writers or actors that could be expensive if the show becomes a hit. Reality TV ratings have been on a decline over the past 5-6 years. But the cost of doing it still remains cheap and you get a few hits now and again which can make a network for 4-6 years.

It's cheap to make in general. Reality TV doesn't need writers or actors that could be expensive if the show becomes a hit. Reality TV ratings have been on a decline over the past 5-6 years. But the cost of doing it still remains cheap and you get a few hits now and again which can make a network for 4-6 years.

Actually, almost all reality, literally 95% of it is all scripted, and its not cheap. My friends are heads of production at literally the biggest reality show companies in television like 3ball and Mark Burnett...and they will be the first to tell you, its all almost completely scripted and fake. They all have writers, and everything is produced.

Worlds Worst Tenants on Spike rented my beach house to shoot a "reality" episode that was shown as if it was a real situation. There was craft services, I was in my back bedroom watching Netflix with my dog, and they were all 100% actors. In fact, the director responded when I asked him what this show was about with "Its reenactments of events that never happened" with a smirk...the show when it airs, is actually presented to be real, and reality...even go so far as to blur certain actors faces...not because they were unsuspecting people caught on camera, but because they are the same actors in every episode. Not one episode was real nor was it based on a real event.

Haff Ton Pawn shop from Auction Hunters doesn't exist either for instance. Its an empty office with no signage 1 block from my house. On film days, they put out a fake sign, bring a bunch of props in and make it look like a pawn shop, but its really all staged, fake, and a closed set for filming with actors.

Very few shows have any "reality" to them in the reality world. There are some that still have some authenticity to them, like Deadliest Catch or Naked and Afraid...but even then, there is still some story lines that get produced.

And like I said, they are not cheap to produce...for instance, "Bar Rescue" has an $18,000,000 cost per season and many of the top reality shows are a lot more expensive than that. Compare that to "House of Cards" which costs $50 million a season, and yes its cheaper. But its still not cheap...they keep making it because people keep watching it unfortunately. They used to be cheaper to produce, but now there is some production going into what is supposed to be a reality show, that they are often very expensive to produce.

Actually, almost all reality, literally 95% of it is all scripted, and its not cheap. My friends are heads of production at literally the biggest reality show companies in television like 3ball and Mark Burnett...and they will be the first to tell you, its all almost completely scripted and fake. They all have writers, and everything is produced.

Worlds Worst Tenants on Spike rented my beach house to shoot a "reality" episode that was shown as if it was a real situation. There was craft services, I was in my back bedroom watching Netflix with my dog, and they were all 100% actors. In fact, the director responded when I asked him what this show was about with "Its reenactments of events that never happened" with a smirk...the show when it airs, is actually presented to be real, and reality...even go so far as to blur certain actors faces...not because they were unsuspecting people caught on camera, but because they are the same actors in every episode. Not one episode was real nor was it based on a real event.

Haff Ton Pawn shop from Auction Hunters doesn't exist either for instance. Its an empty office with no signage 1 block from my house. On film days, they put out a fake sign, bring a bunch of props in and make it look like a pawn shop, but its really all staged, fake, and a closed set for filming with actors.

Very few shows have any "reality" to them in the reality world. There are some that still have some authenticity to them, like Deadliest Catch or Naked and Afraid...but even then, there is still some story lines that get produced.

And like I said, they are not cheap to produce...for instance, "Bar Rescue" has an $18,000,000 cost per season and many of the top reality shows are a lot more expensive than that. Compare that to "House of Cards" which costs $50 million a season, and yes its cheaper. But its still not cheap...they keep making it because people keep watching it unfortunately. They used to be cheaper to produce, but now there is some production going into what is supposed to be a reality show, that they are often very expensive to produce.

Cheap is of course a relative term. And yes I know that reality TV isn't real. Either it's fully fixed or situations are manipulated and framed. I work in TV production so I know the deal. But making a high quality scripted show still is more expensive than a reality show. Bar Rescue may have an 18 million dollar tag per-season but the last two seasons were 30 and 40 episodes 43 minutes each. While House of Cards costs 50 million for 13 episodes 43 to 59 minutes long.

So even though both shows are well into 10 figure budgets one costs a lot less relative to the other. I did some freelance work on the show Comic Book Men by AMC and that show (Staged scenarios but those dudes aren't acting so much as just reacting to what gets put in front of them by the producers), and that show must have been excruciatingly cheap to produce. The raw production costs must have been something below 300k per episode by my own semi-professional estimate.

Cheap is of course a relative term. And yes I know that reality TV isn't real. Either it's fully fixed or situations are manipulated and framed. I work in TV production so I know the deal. But making a high quality scripted show still is more expensive than a reality show. Bar Rescue may have an 18 million dollar tag per-season but the last two seasons were 30 and 40 episodes 43 minutes each. While House of Cards costs 50 million for 13 episodes 43 to 59 minutes long.

So even though both shows are well into 10 figure budgets one costs a lot less relative to the other. I did some freelance work on the show Comic Book Men by AMC and that show (Staged scenarios but those dudes aren't acting so much as just reacting to what gets put in front of them by the producers), and that show must have been excruciatingly cheap to produce. The raw production costs must have been something below 300k per episode by my own semi-professional estimate.

Yeah, Bar Rescue carries a price tag that floats between $650k to $700k per episode pretty typically. My friends run that show. I was just illustrating, its not as cheap as a lot of people think it is to make. That is actually a show that is pretty legit. Most of what you see happens exactly as you see it on its own accord.

• 2 weeks later...