Starting to see some QB separation - Cassell - TT

San-O

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was hopeful for EJ this year to show up as a good starter. The way things appear (from this board and news reports) he isn't in the running as a starter and it may be time to cut the cord. I guess I would let him perhaps start the second preseason game and unless he shows a hell of a lot in that time I'd cut him after the game and start giving all the work to Cassell and TT. As it is Cassell is getting reps as if he were the starter and I'm not hearing ANY assertion that TT or EJ are pressing him. If you're keeping a third qb and the choice is expensive EJ or cheap Matt Sims I suspect they will go with Sims.

I was hopeful for EJ this year to show up as a good starter. The way things appear (from this board and news reports) he isn't in the running as a starter and it may be time to cut the cord. I guess I would let him perhaps start the second preseason game and unless he shows a hell of a lot in that time I'd cut him after the game and start giving all the work to Cassell and TT. As it is Cassell is getting reps as if he were the starter and I'm not hearing ANY assertion that TT or EJ are pressing him. If you're keeping a third qb and the choice is expensive EJ or cheap Matt Sims I suspect they will go with Sims.

Except that the Bills save no cap space by cutting EJ this year.

Good Post OP.

Last year was a disaster of epic proportions for EJ.

Do we really think he is going to get another chance, after being humiliated in Houston? No

This is Cassels' job to lose. The staff loves Tyrod.

The front office opinion has not changed on EJ.

We are not sacrificing this year.

Imo

...he went 2-2.

Crusaders gonna crusade.

Edited by fridge

Serious question: Is that even an issue at this time?

It makes absolutely no sense to cut EJ. Despite what people claim he is not horrible. He's young and inconsistent with major upside if the lightbulb ever goes on. That's not the guy you cut if it doesn't save you cap space. It's not the guy you cut if it only saves you 2.5 million in cap space.

It makes absolutely no sense to cut EJ. Despite what people claim he is not horrible. He's young and inconsistent with major upside if the lightbulb ever goes on. That's not the guy you cut if it doesn't save you cap space. It's not the guy you cut if it only saves you 2.5 million in cap space.

i mean, ultimately do you keep EJ for what amounts to free since its a sunk cost, or spend additional cash to instead carry a guy like simms?

it seems a no brainer. EJ has shown he can atleast be on par with any of the backups in the league which is the upside youd be hoping for out of any 3rd qb you sign at this point. and again, be less cap hit.

I'll ask again: Would it negatively affect the roster plan by putting the Bills over the cap if they cut him? There is another factor at work, and while it's small it may play a role in their decision: if they prefer Simms to Manuel and are worried another team might snag Simms if we put him on the PS (this is assuming Simms plays passably well in preseason), then they might be inclined to cut Manuel. I'm not saying they should, and again, I don't know the cap ramifications if they cut him. It may be that they want to pack his numbers onto the books this year (if that's possible - I don't know) in order to free up space for next year given that the Dareus, Gilmore, and Glenn situations.

Edited by dave mcbride

With all due respect, I think the "major upside" ship has sailed...

i mean, ultimately do you keep EJ for what amounts to free since its a sunk cost, or spend additional cash to instead carry a guy like simms?

it seems a no brainer. EJ has shown he can atleast be on par with any of the backups in the league which is the upside youd be hoping for out of any 3rd qb you sign at this point. and again, be less cap hit.

My only guess at the rationale is to be good to him and have him catch on with another team. It's similar to what Chan did with Trentative. If he's not going to be your lead guy, it may be a problematic locker room for him to sit as #3.

That's the only way I see that decision happening, because ability-wise he's not a horrible backup to have on a team.

My only guess at the rationale is to be good to him and have him catch on with another team. It's similar to what Chan did with Trentative. If he's not going to be your lead guy, it may be a problematic locker room for him to sit as #3.

That's the only way I see that decision happening, because ability-wise he's not a horrible backup to have on a team.

This is a good post. See above about Simms though - if other teams think he's a decent option, I'm curious to know what the Bills think of him. If they like him better than Manuel, they won't want to lose him via a PS raid, I think.

Good Post OP.

Last year was a disaster of epic proportions for EJ.

Do we really think he is going to get another chance, after being humiliated in Houston? No

This is Cassels' job to lose. The staff loves Tyrod.

The front office opinion has not changed on EJ.

We are not sacrificing this year.

Imo

How can anyone base an opinion on EJ from what they saw in his last two games considering Hackett went pass crazy calling 40-44 passes respectively while basically abandoning the run game. That run game which helped the team win the first two games.

Besides this coaching staff has already stated that they will be a run first team with McCoy, and ask the QB to just manage the game while not turning the ball over.

Yes he is and it really isn't even debatable. Only ones with blinders on can't see how horrible EJ is.

Exact same thing was repeated here endlessly about JP Losman.

Yes he is and it really isn't even debatable. Only ones with blinders on can't see how horrible EJ is.

Where did this come from? Honestly? How is that not up for debate? Last season he went 2-2, and had 5 TDs and 3 INTs. Heading into the Texans game he had a QB Rating of 91.8. He played poorly in the Texans game, but how crazy are you to assume that a bad game means he's horrible and it's without debate. If you look at a single game to make your decision, why did you pick that game and not the Panthers game from his rookie season?

Don't forget the facts because of the crusade, man. This kid was not as bad as the media and the crazies on the board are portraying. We've had some real stinkers the last few years, and I'm shocked how many hate on this guy, perhaps more than the others.

Where did this come from? Honestly? How is that not up for debate? Last season he went 2-2, and had 5 TDs and 3 INTs. Heading into the Texans game he had a QB Rating of 91.8. He played poorly in the Texans game, but how crazy are you to assume that a bad game means he's horrible and it's without debate. If you look at a single game to make your decision, why did you pick that game and not the Panthers game from his rookie season?

Don't forget the facts because of the crusade, man. This kid was not as bad as the media and the crazies on the board are portraying. We've had some real stinkers the last few years, and I'm shocked how many hate on this guy, perhaps more than the others.

Ok so the people closest to the NFL and the media have no clue. Really? How long did you give JP, Trent, Maybin before you finally threw in the towel?

Ok so the people closest to the NFL and the media have no clue. Really? How long did you give JP, Trent, Maybin before you finally threw in the towel?

I thought this wasn't up for debate, though? You have no response other than to point to totally different players?

As far as the media is concerned, who other than Joe B. and Sal Capacia (and by extension the mighty WGR 550) has reported to you that EJ Manuel is a horrible (without debate) quarterback?

Edited by fridge

You and I have read completely different things. Early on, TT had a few strong days, then EJ had a couple strong days and the all important scrimmage, and now Cassel has had a couple strong days. As much as you dislike EJ, none of the QBs have looked consistently good in camp. Cassel is getting the reps this week leading up to the Carolina game. I assume Tyrod/EJ will get them leading up to the next pre-season game, and so on. EJ needs to get his **** together, sure. But so does Tyrod and Cassel. SOMEONE needs to get their **** together, and no one has as of yet.

This post should be quoted in every response on this thread. We have 4 below average QBs on this team. Why some of you single out 1 of them is astounding to me. Did EJ take liberties with your special ladies?

He said "media and the crazies on the board" and believe that to mean, "people closest to the NFL and the media?"

I guess he's right, there are crazies on this board!