Starting to see some QB separation - Cassell - TT

San-O

as just noted to a friend of mine, Cassel's had two very good days of practice. and he's building a distinct rapport with Sammy Watkins.

all that said, don't expect much offensive excitement in the preseason. Roman has a history of showing nothing at this time of year. and he's quite proud of that.

jw

so. Doomed?

Thanks Johnny boy

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, that is not true. EJ was never "out in front" for one second. He had the best practice of the three once. Look, if anyone was expecting Aaron Rodgers to emerge from this pack they were sorely mistaken. The pack is still relatively close. But if you asked every last reporter who has attended camp thus far, every single one of them would have EJ third. By a lot? No. But it is becoming pretty clear that Cassel is the odds-on favorite at this point. You guys can keep denying it, you can blame Marrone, you can blame Joe Buscaglia, you can call it a conspiracy- I've heard em all. The fact is, EJ Manuel has gotta get his s**t together pronto or he might be out of a job very soon.

I don't disagree with EJ getting his **** together, but Cassel is the favorite right now (or should I say this week) because he is the starter for this weeks game. He's taking all the reps with the 1s for a reason, to be ready come Friday.

He did have a good day on Monday but again, it was against the scout team.

so. Doomed?

Thanks Johnny boy

Yea, why not.

Doomed.

Ok, this is just people seeing what they want to see.

We have a preseason game in 3 days where Cassel is going to be the starter. Of course he is going to get the bulk of the work with the ones. You guys forget that it's been a 3 way battle, meaning each guy has gotten about 1/3 less reps with the ones than a named starter would have. For cassel to have the best chance to succeed Friday, he needs as many reps now as possible with the ones. Next week, who ever is getting the next start will also primarily be with the ones and the other two will mostly work with the 2's and 3's.

This rotation today says nothing other than who they are prepping to start preseason game 1. And quite honestly, the fact they are going with Cassel week 1 is more about his vet experience than anything. A bigger test will be weeks 2 and 3 when the starters play longer. So it tells me they are giving EJ every chance to be ready and win the job, same with Taylor. The ones on bothe sides of the ball aren't going to play much this week, although I could see cassel sticking in longer with the 2s to get a longer look.

So let's not try and twist this up as another way to paint a picture that simply isn't true yet. Rex has been true to his word every step of the way and said it will carry over until at least the 2nd preseason game. EJ is still in this race as much as TT and Cassel. Unfortunately none of them have had a strong enough camp yet to seize the job or pull away. Cassel had one good practice where almost all his damage was against the 3s on D.

We have a preseason game in 3 days where Cassel is going to be the starter. Of course he is going to get the bulk of the work with the ones. You guys forget that it's been a 3 way battle, meaning each guy has gotten about 1/3 less reps with the ones than a named starter would have. For cassel to have the best chance to succeed Friday, he needs as many reps now as possible with the ones. Next week, who ever is getting the next start will also primarily be with the ones and the other two will mostly work with the 2's and 3's.

This rotation today says nothing other than who they are prepping to start preseason game 1. And quite honestly, the fact they are going with Cassel week 1 is more about his vet experience than anything. A bigger test will be weeks 2 and 3 when the starters play longer. So it tells me they are giving EJ every chance to be ready and win the job, same with Taylor. The ones on bothe sides of the ball aren't going to play much this week, although I could see cassel sticking in longer with the 2s to get a longer look.

So let's not try and twist this up as another way to paint a picture that simply isn't true yet. Rex has been true to his word every step of the way and said it will carry over until at least the 2nd preseason game. EJ is still in this race as much as TT and Cassel. Unfortunately none of them have had a strong enough camp yet to seize the job or pull away. Cassel had one good practice where almost all his damage was against the 3s on D.

OK if you think Rex has been/is being fair about it, which I agree with (I also agree with you that Cassel hasn't won anything yet and that him starting doesn't necessarily mean that much), you win $1 million for you and your family by correctly predicting the starter on Sept 13th right now. Even odds. Who you got?

as just noted to a friend of mine, Cassel's had two very good days of practice. and he's building a distinct rapport with Sammy Watkins.

all that said, don't expect much offensive excitement in the preseason. Roman has a history of showing nothing at this time of year. and he's quite proud of that.

jw

Ill take it....because for the last 2 years our QBs have looked HORRIBLE in training camp.......

I don't disagree with EJ getting his **** together, but Cassel is the favorite right now (or should I say this week) because he is the starter for this weeks game. He's taking all the reps with the 1s for a reason, to be ready come Friday.

He did have a good day on Monday but again, it was against the scout team.

Yea, why not.

Doomed.

And for the record, by all accounts, Cassel looked good again today. My guess is that if EJ had two consecutive good practices you wouldn't have attempted to minimize it by saying he only had one. Conversely, this board would explode and rainbows and glitter would come shooting out of all of our computers and smartphones.

OK if you think Rex has been/is being fair about it, which I agree with (I also agree with you that Cassel hasn't won anything yet and that him starting doesn't necessarily mean that much), you win $1 million for you and your family by correctly predicting the starter on Sept 13th right now. Even odds. Who you got?

Haha, let me see the bank balance for the million hahaha.

I have no idea to be honest and I don't care, I believe in Rex and I'm good with who they tab. Cassel is uninspiring, but brings the vet experience. EJ has all the physical gifts, so would be better for us if the light bulb turned on and it could be him. Taylor has got Vicks legs but is passing is still unknown. So it's hard to say. I could make a case for any of them or against any of them.

If I had to bet today...EJ then Taylor with Simms on the PS. Main reason is this...my interpretation is that none of them have shown consistency or separation. So if it comes down to where Cassel can't clearly separate, then it also becomes a business decision and shedding his contract makes the most sense over the other two who also are young enough to have upside and potential. So I feel like Cassel has to clearly beat out the other two to really stick with this roster with the big contracts coming up for us with guys like Dareus, Glenn, Gilmore, etc.

I have no idea to be honest and I don't care, I believe in Rex and I'm good with who they tab. Cassel is uninspiring, but brings the vet experience. EJ has all the physical gifts, so would be better for us if the light bulb turned on and it could be him. Taylor has got Vicks legs but is passing is still unknown. So it's hard to say. I could make a case for any of them or against any of them.

If I had to bet today...EJ then Taylor with Simms on the PS. Main reason is this...my interpretation is that none of them have shown consistency or separation. So if it comes down to where Cassel can't clearly separate, then it also becomes a business decision and shedding his contract makes the most sense over the other two who also are young enough to have upside and potential. So I feel like Cassel has to clearly beat out the other two to really stick with this roster with the big contracts coming up for us with guys like Dareus, Glenn, Gilmore, etc.

The bills aren't in cap trouble and need a vet qb (obviously). The bills have very little cap space devoted to the qb position. I am nearly 100 percent sure cassel ends up on the roster, and i now expect that he'll be the starter. I now think that the chances of manuel starting game 1 are close to nil. Edited by dave mcbride

If you would really take EJ over Cassel and Taylor in an even odds bet to be the starter then I respect your opinion. I think you're a little crazy but I respect it. Here's to hoping he does emerge somehow and you're right. The clock is ticking on him though.

If you would really take EJ over Cassel and Taylor in an even odds bet to be the starter then I respect your opinion. I think you're a little crazy but I respect it. Here's to hoping he does emerge somehow and you're right. The clock is ticking on him though.

I would honestly take EJ and Taylor over Cassel...today...thats the key, we are talking today. Cassel hasn't shown me enough to feel his limited upside is worth the extra cost. Both EJ and Taylor have significantly more physical abilities and upside than Cassel. Now if Cassel can start to separate (and I don't mean just getting more reps because he's starting this weeks game) and show veteran abilities to be efficient and run this offense, then that is different. But you are asking me to choose based on what I know today, and thus far, none of the 3 have shown me enough to say he's the guy. And if all things are similar or equal, I will take the lower price tag and higher upside potential of two prospects over one Vet who has a higher price tag and plagued with the same consistency issues.

But, my official stance is that its too early and I don't think this QB battle is going to be over until after the 3rd preseason game. I suspect after the 2nd game, the race will be narrowed to 2 players, but the starter is going to be up in the air until after the 3rd game unless someone just starts pulling away. But given its a new offense for all 3, limited reps (as its a 3 way comp), etc...I don't expect anyone to really start pulling away until the bullets start flying in live games at least a couple times.

I just want to win and I believe in Rex and Roman and I will get behind who ever they choose. Rex and Roman are giving all 3 a fair chance to earn the job...thats all we can ask for as fans and all they can ask for as players. They will choose the guy they best believe will give us the best chance to succeed and I am great with that.

Edited by Alphadawg7

The bills aren't in cap trouble and need a vet qb (obviously). The bills have very little cap space devoted to the qb position. I am nearly 100 percent sure cassel ends up on the roster, and i now expect that he'll be the starter. I now think that the chances of manuel starting game 1 are close to nil.

I get they are not in cap trouble, but if they have 3 guys all similar or equal, I would think good business is get rid of the most expensive especially while they are trying to extend players right now. Just my thoughts.

Oh boy... Look, another poster was right when he said that MC is the default starter if nobody seperates from the pack. However, I can say that I think EJ will be mad about not getting the nod after "winning" the scrimmage the other day and snap into it. I think his fight or flight will kick in and he has shown that he'll fight. My money is on EJ being our starter wk 1. I think they are starting Meh to light a fire under EJ.

i'll take that bet

jw

Also, I am not sold on EJ either. I do respect his work ethic, desire to be great, etc...and if he doesn't make it then it wont be because of effort. Hes been a great teammate and not nearly as bad as many posters paint him to be here, but I am definitely not sold he deserves the job. I do believe he has the potential to put it together, but his time is definitely now. This is his shot, and its a fair shot, so he either rises to the occasion or one of the other 3 does. Either way, I just want the best of the 3 so we can give this team its best shot at success this year with this stacked roster.

i'll take that bet

jw

Gambling? IN...whats the stakes and whats the bet? lol

That's exactly how I interpreted the report that MC is working with the ones. He's going to be playing with the ones on Friday so he needs to work on his timing, rapport, etc.

Rex has said or done nothing yet to tip his hand.

I am prone to believe the argument that says if none of the QBs separates from the others, MC will be the starter when the regular season starts. And certainly no one so far has outshone the others. But the battle to line up under center has a ways to go yet, I think.

it could just be for preparation in the next preseason game. Time with the teams you will play with.

This.

IMO Cassel is starting because he didn't do well in the scrimmage, and didn't get as many throws. Its do or die time for him, and he's being given a whole week to prep just like he would in the reg. season.

That's exactly how I interpreted the report that MC is working with the ones. He's going to be playing with the ones on Friday so he needs to work on his timing, rapport, etc.

Rex has said or done nothing yet to tip his hand.

I am prone to believe the argument that says if none of the QBs separates from the others, MC will be the starter when the regular season starts. And certainly no one so far has outshone the others. But the battle to line up under center has a ways to go yet, I think.

Yeah, I agree...although I differ on the part about MC getting the job if no one separates themselves. I just think if MC and EJ...or MC and TT, or MC, EJ, and TT are all closely grouped and not separating, then I think they go for the upside in the younger player rather than the low ceiling vet who isn't playing any better than the younger guys. If EJ and Cassel are similar, why not roll with the guy that has the best chance to continue to improve and has more physical gifts to add a second dimension to his game in running ability. Or MC and TT...same principle.

Thats why i think MC needs separate himself more than the others do because he doesn't offer much upside and has a bigger price tag.