• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought that roman interview today was very telling

He keeps using the word consistancy

I have been pulling for EJ but lets be honest here.......if a coach is really looking for consistant level play then EJ must driving him crazy....he will make a fantastic play and then follow it up with a head scratcher throw.......

After listening to that interview I think the depth chart is exactly as they have put it on the unofficial one......and they are hoping that Matt C. will come out in that 1st preseason game and seal the deal

as for Tyrod Taylor.....would not shock me to be the backup AND have some specific plays designed for him in this offense........its not like Cassell has shown durability over his career so you could see Taylor at QB at some point in the season.

Does who starts the season at QB really matter at this point? What I mean is that whoever starts certainly isn't going to have a lock hold on it. I fully expect Cassel to lose the job at some point because defenses will start suffocating the offense when they know what plays are coming just like they did with Orton.

In the end, I really hope that Rex starts the season with the shaky/big play ability young guy (whichever) rather than the steady/no big play Cassel.

WRT Cassell losing the job because of suffocating defenses and knowing which plays are coming, IIRC, I have heard a lot of different plays are being installed from the same formations that way the defense can't get a lock on the play. I personally don't care who wins the job, whoever gives them the best chance to win. If it is Cassell so be it, then he can help mentor the younger and less experienced QB's for the future. If it's Manuel or Taylor, then they have obviously shown enough upside to win the starting position and should get better as season progresses. There are positives to come from any of the 3 starting.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're giving each of Taylor and EJ the chance to earn a few series with the 1's in the Carolina game when Cassel comes out.

If they truly intend to pick a starter after game 2, as Rex is indicating, then it would only make sense to split reps with the 1's over the first 2 games so that each guy has a chance.

I think they have to since they're looking at three of them. I think in observing Cassel they will be looking for signs of decline from his average below average self, and upside form the other two. And I think Roman gets to make the call on who gets the job.

Funny thing about consistency regarding QB play, is that all three QBs on the roster are not consistent.

The 10 year vet would still be in Kansas City as the starter if he had shown consistency with Todd Haley. The Baltimore Ravens would have obtained a juicy draft pick had the slash QB shown something against 2nd stringers backing up Flacco.

The good news about the situation here is that all three QBs are getting better under Roman's tutelage (that includes long term QB project, Manuel, who has shown improvement compared to last year TC)

It was clear from that interview that Roman will play to the strenghts of whoever wins the competition and that is all that we can ask for.

I don't think micromanaging and tweeting about every snap is productive. This is practice! And what I can't understand about people wanting to write off Manuel is don't they consider young players can improve? Just because he didn't light the world on fire and because he is not yet consistent does not mean he cannot improve. The media constantly over analyzing everything isn't helping. Isn't there any other players to watch and write about?

Also, Cassel will likely start until someone proves otherwise just because he has tons of experience. Week to week he should be able to game plan a bit better, recognize defenses better and be a better leader. He's not a terrible QB but, like a lot of QBs, he needs a really strong supporting cast. If the O-Line holds up and creates a running game he has that.

If you've played sports you know some days things just click while other days they don't and the difference between an average player and a good player is that the good player has a good day 80% of the time vs 40% or 50%. All our QBs are average it appears. If I was Rex and the starter was off and maybe didn't match up well I wouldn't be afraid to pull him and see if the backup would have a better day. Doesn't mean any of our guys will be consistent so we might just have to be a little creative with who we put behind center like going to the bullpen early if the starting pitcher doesn't have it that day. If everyone knows the plan pulling the starter should not be a big deal. It doesn't mean you have to bench him permanently - he's just having an off day which is going to happen a lot with our average QBs.

Edited by timtebow15

Yep. What I got out of it was that they were going to use about 12 different skill players during the game, in all kinds of formations and all kinds of ways, depending on the opponent and would constantly try to create mismatches so one or two guys were getting single coverage and rely on the QB to make the right decision to get the ball out quickly or just at the right time to the guy who was in the best mismatch. To me, that plays into what Cassell can do more than EJ or TT right now, and if Cassell can just make the right reads and get the ball to the right playmaker in the mismatch, the team as a whole will move the ball and score enough points to win the game.

I think this offense is going to rely upon a ton of pre-snap reads, more than post-snap progressions.

I think this offense is going to rely upon a ton of pre-snap reads, more than post-snap progressions.

Agreed. I think it will mostly be a counting game. Like 1, 2, ...,8 guys in the box "Let's throw to Sammy/Harvin/Woods", or 1, 2,...7 guys in the box "here you go McCoy." All of this is on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and manageable downs.

Look, I'm hardly Cassel's biggest fan but he has bounced back these last two practices.

In assign honest qb competition, if he starts he earned it. Unlike Orton who just walked in and mailed it in quickly. Orton and every positive statement about Orton made me sick. But this tine i was hoping one of the youngsters would ruin but if they don't, it was a real competition. I think a lot of it has to do with my respect for Rex. I trust his decisions. Much unlike my feelings towards Marrone. This pill is just easier to swallow for me