Whaley admits what we've suspected - Bills in QB Purgatory

So we're now criticizing Whaley for not taking a QB in 2014? He should've disregarded that EJ looked competent as a rookie and drafted Bridgewater anyway, trading up to get him?

That's one theory I suppose...not one that I think many NFL GMs would agree with.

As to NE, yes, they drafted a bunch of mid-round QBs, and I agree with that approach as far as finding a developmental guy; I wouldn't be counting on it to get a starter, and neither should Whaley. He made it clear that his developmental guy was Taylor, and I'm not sure he was wrong to do so.

No, I'm criticizing the overall relaxed approach to getting QB. If you want to break it down to a specific year and draft round, it's probably just going to wind up being a 10 page argument about EJ, although that's probably inevitable at this point. We're going to have to disagree about EJ looking competent after that first year as well. Don't bother posting his stats, I've seen them a thousand times already.

You asked me what my plan would have been. I told you I would have liked to see a more aggressive approach to the QB position. Maybe you agree with that or maybe you don't. Either way, do you honestly feel this team has taken aggressive approach to getting a QB over the last 3 years?

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I'm criticizing the overall relaxed approach to getting QB. If you want to break it down to a specific year and draft round, it's probably just going to wind up being a 10 page argument about EJ, although that's probably inevitable at this point. We're going to have to disagree about EJ looking competent after that first year as well. Don't bother posting his stats, I've seen them a thousand times already.

You asked me what my plan would have been. I told you I would have liked to see a more aggressive approach to the QB position. Maybe you agree with that or maybe you don't. Either way, do you honestly feel this team has taken aggressive approach to getting a QB over the last 3 years?

Aggressive? No.

I think they've taken a prudent approach for sure

I see it suggested that a QB should be taken high every year until you have one, but what teams in recent memory have done that more then every 3 years?

And if you do use a 1st or 2nd every year, how do you replace the depth/production in positions that you would have otherwise taken?

It's a foolish approach and a reason why it just isnt done. Teams wait for QB's to define themselves.

This team is perfectly built to accommodate a talented rookie QB. Some teams take them too early (David Carr, Sam Badford) and they crumble under pressure, but if the Bills take one this year they step in to an excellent supporting cast. The QB situation isnt much better with any QB besides Bridgewater, it is highly questionable whether R.Wilson would have been successful with the Bills situation.

Whaley has set himself up near perfectly. I have a feeling this next draft will define the Bills of the 2010's.

This year let's just cheer for some playoffs and QB's needing adult diapers.

Here's a question - if we had our 2015 first, could/would/should we have dealt it for Bradford? Is this team better off with Cassel/TT/EJ and Watkins or Bradford and Beckham?

I've thought of the same, but I doubt the first rounder would have been enough. Sounds like Rams also wanted a QB in return.

I see it suggested that a QB should be taken high every year until you have one, but what teams in recent memory have done that more then every 3 years?

And if you do use a 1st or 2nd every year, how do you replace the depth/production in positions that you would have otherwise taken?

It's a foolish approach and a reason why it just isnt done. Teams wait for QB's to define themselves.

This team is perfectly built to accommodate a talented rookie QB. Some teams take them too early (David Carr, Sam Badford) and they crumble under pressure, but if the Bills take one this year they step in to an excellent supporting cast. The QB situation isnt much better with any QB besides Bridgewater, it is highly questionable whether R.Wilson would have been successful with the Bills situation.

Whaley has set himself up near perfectly. I have a feeling this next draft will define the Bills of the 2010's.

This year let's just cheer for some playoffs and QB's needing adult diapers.

Interesting take> i guess i am thinking along the same lines

Here's a question - if we had our 2015 first, could/would/should we have dealt it for Bradford? Is this team better off with Cassel/TT/EJ and Watkins or Bradford and Beckham?

Bradford? The guy is a dud. I'll roll the dice on Tyrod before trading a used jock for Bradford.

Bradford? The guy is a dud. I'll roll the dice on Tyrod before trading a used jock for Bradford.

I think Rex/Roman will make whatever they have at hand work. If something sweet is dangled i am also confident Whaley is at the ready.

But next years negotiations for next years QB drafting must already be an agenda.

Ideally, neither. It's a coin flip to me, since--as I mentioned--they were about the same their rookie years.

I think Manuel is the more physically talented of the two; I think Carr is closer to reaching his full potential as a QB (which is limited).

I don't know why you would think that. I know EJ's bigger, but Carr has a significantly stronger arm, a comparable 40 time, and appears to be more nimble. And if we're considering accuracy a physical trait, that goes to Carr too.

Former QB Jim Miller, Sirius XM radio host, says it's entirely too early to turn the page on EJ Manuel. Sees some things he like. Says command of the huddle is an important attribute for a QB. Thinks experience wins the QB battle (Cassel), although he was impressed how Manuel won in Chicago in OT.