Blue & White Scrimmage 8/8 6pm

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone who was in attendance speak to anything other than the QB's? This thread is kind of dull. How did the offensive line look? Did Sammy even have a reception? How did the defense look? Where did the blitzes come from? How about our secondary? Any rookies/UDFA's shine?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Agreed.

EJ scrambled once. On third down.

I know LB i guess it was sarcasm, i mean what was the point of even saying that. Taylor outran EJ by what? 13-14 yards? So what? It was Joe trying to legitimize Taylor wining a category. What if he didnt have more yards? I didnt get what difference it made who won the qb rushing battle

Camp Highlight: Best Of The Defense (:37)

Watch a collection of defensive highlights from the blue-white scrimmage.

Watkins: We can definitely learn from this

Buffalo’s offense had some big plays Saturday night, but they also had some miscues. As Sammy Watkins saw it they’ve got plenty of things to correct heading into Monday’s practice.

Bradham: Stopping run was job one

The Bills defense flashed a lot when it came to putting pressure on their quarterbacks in the blue-white scrimmage Saturday night, but their run defense was pretty good as well.

Sure the offense got a couple of quality gains through the course of the 18 series between the offensive and defensive units. But through the course of the night Buffalo’s defense had 11 tackles for loss and one for no gain on run plays.

Why the 2’s & 3’s played most of the scrimmage

There were 18 series between the offense and defense Saturday night in the blue-white scrimmage, but the first team units only saw three series of work. The second and third team offensive and defensive units got the majority of the work in the two-plus hour session. According to head coach Rex Ryan that was the plan all along.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Thought I would share a few observations from the scrimmage tonight:

1. That was one of the biggest crowds that I have ever seen at Bills camp. People were everywhere and the line to get in wrapped from the entrance down the campus road, along East Ave and all the way to the park n ride. Line moved relatively quick - but there were a lot of people.

2. EJ had a good night, obviously had the TD to Brown (also could have had a wide open TD on the same play to Nick O'Leary who had broke clear on a wheel route on the other side of the field) but he looked more comfortable and in command of the field. As already reported he had an absolute laser to Hogan and should have had another big throw but Goodwin dropped a ball placed perfectly. He did have a few bad throws -- one behind woods and another that he skipped off the turf to a receiver - but these throws didn't overshadow the fact he had the biggest arm and best composure of the night. On the QB bootleg he had one of the best fake handoffs I have ever seen - as the entire defense followed the RB. As far as the botched handoff, Brown needs to share in that exchange - as he initially went the opposite way than EJ.

3. It is really hard to evaluate Tyrod Taylor because the guy drops back, makes an initial read and then looks to run. I do not know if he is doing as coached but I have to think the coaches would rather have throws on tape to make a better decision vs. his improvised runs. The guy seems to be elusive, but his run first mentality is a little worrisome. He has made his share of nice throws (usually on the run) as well as bad throws when in the pocket.

4. Cassel didn't do much to stand out. Seems to be a player with the lowest ceiling and weakest arm. He did make one very nice throw - the rest were shorter, high percentage stuff.

5. Cyrus Kouandjio really struggled today. He got beat like a drum on several occasions against Corbin Bryant. His biggest problems were against speed and finesse moves. he just had no answer. When he was able to anchor against a power move or run block he fared much better. Based solely on tonight (there's a lot of preseason to go) I would say Henderson is the choice for starting RT.

6. DT/ DE Bryant had a solid night.

7. RB Karlos Williams impressed. Hit the holes quickly and runs physical. Think he might have had a fumble though. He flashed quite a bit throughout the night and looked like second best back on the field after McCoy.

8. Bryce Brown scares the hell out of me. I want to like him, but every time he gets the ball I seem to wonder if he will fumble.

9. Nick O'Leary started out a bit shaky - did not provide adequate blocking on at least 3 occasions, but did improve throughout the night and had a couple nice catches - and as I said above could have had a TD on a wheel route that EJ missed and went to Bryce Brown instead.

10. Whether due to injuries or scheme - Roman used two tight end sets a lot tonight. Many times, the second TE was used as an H-back and blocker. This is an area that O'Leary will need to improve if he wants to make the 53 (I'm pulling for him). Gragg had a decent night catching - I didn't really notice the other TE's much.

1. That was one of the biggest crowds that I have ever seen at Bills camp. People were everywhere and the line to get in wrapped from the entrance down the campus road, along East Ave and all the way to the park n ride. Line moved relatively quick - but there were a lot of people.

2. EJ had a good night, obviously had the TD to Brown (also could have had a wide open TD on the same play to Nick O'Leary who had broke clear on a wheel route on the other side of the field) but he looked more comfortable and in command of the field. As already reported he had an absolute laser to Hogan and should have had another big throw but Goodwin dropped a ball placed perfectly. He did have a few bad throws -- one behind woods and another that he skipped off the turf to a receiver - but these throws didn't overshadow the fact he had the biggest arm and best composure of the night. On the QB bootleg he had one of the best fake handoffs I have ever seen - as the entire defense followed the RB. As far as the botched handoff, Brown needs to share in that exchange - as he initially went the opposite way than EJ.

3. It is really hard to evaluate Tyrod Taylor because the guy drops back, makes an initial read and then looks to run. I do not know if he is doing as coached but I have to think the coaches would rather have throws on tape to make a better decision vs. his improvised runs. The guy seems to be elusive, but his run first mentality is a little worrisome. He has made his share of nice throws (usually on the run) as well as bad throws when in the pocket.

4. Cassel didn't do much to stand out. Seems to be a player with the lowest ceiling and weakest arm. He did make one very nice throw - the rest were shorter, high percentage stuff.

5. Cyrus Kouandjio really struggled today. He got beat like a drum on several occasions against Corbin Bryant. His biggest problems were against speed and finesse moves. he just had no answer. When he was able to anchor against a power move or run block he fared much better. Based solely on tonight (there's a lot of preseason to go) I would say Henderson is the choice for starting RT.

7. RB Karlos Williams impressed. Hit the holes quickly and runs physical. Think he might have had a fumble though. He flashed quite a bit throughout the night and looked like second best back on the field after McCoy.

8. Bryce Brown scares the hell out of me. I want to like him, but every time he gets the ball I seem to wonder if he will fumble.

9. Nick O'Leary started out a bit shaky - did not provide adequate blocking on at least 3 occasions, but did improve throughout the night and had a couple nice catches - and as I said above could have had a TD on a wheel route that EJ missed and went to Bryce Brown instead.

10. Whether due to injuries or scheme - Roman used two tight end sets a lot tonight. Many times, the second TE was used as an H-back and blocker. This is an area that O'Leary will need to improve if he wants to make the 53 (I'm pulling for him). Gragg had a decent night catching - I didn't really notice the other TE's much.

Thanks for the report! :thumbsup:

@MatthewFairburn

EJ Manuel provided the line bright spot for the offense. My observations from Bills scrimmage http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2015/08/ej_manuel_provides_bright_spot_for_offense_6_observations_from_buffalo_bills_tra.html

Needs to talk to Tiki Barber

Thanks a bunch for posting!

Good to have another perspective other then from the beat writers.

This is my TT fear. The drop back and then run around like a madman and hope something happens doesn't work in the NFL. The Bills will get killed if that's their QB's mindset.

As a few people keep saying, the QB doesn't have to be a top 5 QB. If he's just average, the team goes far.

Rooting for EJ. He's young, was drafted as a project, and hopefully will win the job. OF course I wish he was winning it more convincingly but at least he seems to be winning right now.

Edited by Observer

@SalSports: Some non-QB #Bills thoughts: It appears Seantrel Henderson has reclaimed the RT spot, and it may be his to lose through the rest of camp.

@SalSports: ...Offense has been showing lot of motion last couple weeks of practice. Hardly any tonight. Pretty straightforward stuff in this scrimmage.

@SalSports: ...still interesting to see Robert Woods as the main punt returner almost every day, including tonight. Very interested how that spot goes.