I don't hate Sully like some others do, but ...

Fundamentally Sully's problem is exposed in this - it's the start of training camp, and he's writing a Bills article about something non-football.

While I don't disagree with Sullivan's article, I agree completely that running it on the first day of training camp does seem like an intentional effort to deflect the discussion away from football on a day when that's what it should be about.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fundamentally Sully's problem is exposed in this - it's the start of training camp, and he's writing a Bills article about something non-football.

His problem is he doesn't actually like football - makes him a bad choice for a sports beat on a newspaper - especially when newspapers are a dying industry and there are far more good reporters out there then there are precious jobs like the one being wasted on Sully.

He's the Mike Schoop of the Buffalo News

Come on man, his "declining" numbers are still well above league average ypc, and over 1300 yards was third in the league. This line of thinking is the same as people who said Michael Jackson's post Thriller albums were failures because they didn't sell 65 million worldwide copies, when most artists never get close to selling even the "lowest" number of sales on any of his subsequent albums. You would be the fan who said O.J. was declining because he didn't follow up 2003 with another 2000, but instead had 1200, and 1800 yards.

What is "hungry" supposed to look like? A smile on his face means he's not hungry? Interacting w/fans? Throwing a party? Okay... Seems to me he showed up in shape and ready to work. That denotes dedication to me, but maybe it's just me...

McCoy will be just fine if the line is halfway decent. And no running back will be good without a line opening up some holes for them. No RB is different in that respect.

His 4.2 ypc was exactly league average.

I don't need a bunch of hyperbole to make my argument.

That is one of the things that concerns me. I really hope that he has a monster year. We gave up a great young player and are paying McCoy a lot of money. He better be the real deal.

This is a candidate for his worst article ever. It's bad on numerous levels--stirring up controversy for no apparent reason, politicizing a non-issue on specious feminist grounds (this is no knock on feminism, btw), and making false comparisons to put the subject in a worse light: http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/07/31/mccoy-not-getting-it-right-now/ .

Just dreadful.

We-l-l-l, just guessing, I don't think your average feminist would consider an invitation to "females only" where the "females" (not women) are asked to provide a pic and sign a non-disclosure "specious grounds". Just saying.

But I digress. I agree that's a crappy article by Sully which is trying to gratuitously paint McCoy in a bad light and I wish that idea to somehow indicate the Sully-ness of an article on TBD had gone somewhere - it would save us all a lot of grief if we could "see and avoid".

Funny, I do hate Sullivan yet I thought it was a good article. After re-reading it, I can see where most of you are coming from but these are two pretty good sized gaffes McCoy has made here already. Not illegal, no, but both of them pretty dumb. Hopefully he learns from them. After hearing him on the John Murphy show a few months back, he sounds like a very bright and very nice kid. You'd think he'd maybe be above that party thing. Either way, I will long since be over anything he's done once he breaks his first nice run on September 13th.

110% agreed.

His performance is my only concern. The rest is good for an occasional laugh or scowl. I'm sure he stays up at night worrying about my opinion.

As far as the article? Same old Sullivan. God bless him because he seems like a miserable man.

Edited by SmokinES3

His problem is he doesn't actually like football - makes him a bad choice for a sports beat on a newspaper - especially when newspapers are a dying industry and there are far more good reporters out there then there are precious jobs like the one being wasted on Sully.

Perhaps it's the Howard Stern effect. Those who hate spend more time reading his articles, waiting anxiously to be offended. It must sell, he still has a job.

He may have created an unnecessary media ruckus with this invite, but he owned up and canceled the party. He threw in that "there were no planned orgies" comment bc he knew what people were saying. But Jerry found that insulting. He answered every ridiculous question like a professional. I actually in reading his responses gained some new respect for him.

But that wasn't enough for Rodak and Jerry. Pressing on with "people want to know" why the confidentiality agreement? Are you kidding me? And Jerry managed to trash the QB situation AND mention his beloved Patriots*.

Of course he got agitated. He did nothing illegal. He's not running for office (reporters don't even grill them like that). He had to be thinking "are these clowns for real?"

I stand corrected. However, your basic premise is hyperbole.

Outside of Murray, McCoy had the highest number of carries in the league. Many RB's with better ypc had nowhere near the same number of carries. You add in the fact that Philly had many offensive line injuries, and uneven QB play, 4.2 isn't bad. In fact, it is in line with his historical averages. His ypc has always been consistently between 4 and 5. The narrative that he's "declining" seems to be based, in general, on a supposition that he is turning 27, and therefore must decline because that is what analytics say RB's do, or that he has been overused, and therefore will decline.

Anything is possible, but there is no real evidence that McCoy is declining at this point. He has been durable in his career. Six seasons: 16 games three times. 15 games two times. The one season in 2012 he missed 4 games, and he was on pace for 300 carries and over 1000 yards that season too. Compare these stats to Marshawn Lynch who has similar durability, and is 4.3 for his career w/much more punishment. No one says he is declining. Pundits say he is the heartbeat of the Seahwaks and it is true. Analytics are a tool, but not one size fits all. (not saying you, specifically, are saying this).

McCoy is not a player that has taken massive punishment in his time in the league. Reports out of camp also indicate he is as he always has been: quick, fast and shifty. Health permitting, If the offensive line is decent, McCoy will get his carries and his yards. This "declining" narrative is just folks worrying because they want something to worry about.

G GS Att Yds Avg Lng TD Rec Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost

2014 Philadelphia Eagles 16 16 312 1,319 4.2 53 5 28 155 5.5 18 0 4 3

2013 Philadelphia Eagles 16 16 314 1,607 5.1 57T 9 52 539 10.4 70 2 1 1

2012 Philadelphia Eagles 12 12 200 840 4.2 34 2 54 373 6.9 36 3 4 3

2011 Philadelphia Eagles 15 15 273 1,309 4.8 60 17 48 315 6.6 26 3 1 1

2010 Philadelphia Eagles 15 13 207 1,080 5.2 62 7 78 592 7.6 40 2 2 1

2009 Philadelphia Eagles 16 4 155 637 4.1 66T 4 40 308 7.7 45 0 2 1

Edited by purple haze

Sully why must you guys read and comment about what he and buckless write on here. They are likely here commenting back ...cough VWR cough. They are trolls and everything is LAMP but they do it for the money....ignore it and eventually it will go away. I have been on that course for years and although this post breaks that rule I just think that some of you need to know it and follow it too. You will lead a happier existence.
And that article BTW which I didn't read the subject of it, that is just Shady being Shady. Not that I approve all that much but I and not going to say I was some kind of an angel when I was a youth either.

I stand corrected. However, your basic premise is hyperbole.

Outside of Murray, McCoy had the highest number of carries in the league. Many RB's with better ypc had nowhere near the same number of carries. You add in the fact that Philly had many offensive line injuries, and uneven QB play, 4.2 isn't bad. In fact, it is in line with his historical averages. His ypc has always been consistently between 4 and 5. The narrative that he's "declining" seems to be based, in general, on a supposition that he is turning 27, and therefore must decline because that is what analytics say RB's do, or that he has been overused, and therefore will decline.

Anything is possible, but there is no real evidence that McCoy is declining at this point. He has been durable in his career. Six seasons: 16 games three times. 15 games two times. The one season in 2012 he missed 4 games, and he was on pace for 300 carries and over 1000 yards that season too. Compare these stats to Marshawn Lynch who has similar durability, and is 4.3 for his career w/much more punishment. No one says he is declining. Pundits say he is the heartbeat of the Seahwaks and it is true. Analytics are a tool, but not one size fits all. (not saying you, specifically, are saying this).

McCoy is not a player that has taken massive punishment in his time in the league. Reports out of camp also indicate he is as he always has been: quick, fast and shifty. Health permitting, If the offensive line is decent, McCoy will get his carries and his yards. This "declining" narrative is just folks worrying because they want something to worry about.

G GS Att Yds Avg Lng TD Rec Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost

2014 Philadelphia Eagles 16 16 312 1,319 4.2 53 5 28 155 5.5 18 0 4 3

2013 Philadelphia Eagles 16 16 314 1,607 5.1 57T 9 52 539 10.4 70 2 1 1

2012 Philadelphia Eagles 12 12 200 840 4.2 34 2 54 373 6.9 36 3 4 3

2011 Philadelphia Eagles 15 15 273 1,309 4.8 60 17 48 315 6.6 26 3 1 1

2010 Philadelphia Eagles 15 13 207 1,080 5.2 62 7 78 592 7.6 40 2 2 1

2009 Philadelphia Eagles 16 4 155 637 4.1 66T 4 40 308 7.7 45 0 2 1

The Eagles coaching staff lost faith in McCoy in short yardage and goal line situations last season. He looked like a RB who didn't want to pay the physical price any longer.

He blamed fatigue for the obvious decline in explosiveness.

That's where the "declining" narrative comes from.

The fact that his ypc dropped and his carries are stacking up simply supported the Eagles opinion.

If you think 4.2 yards per carry from a contact dodger like McCoy is anything equivalent to the impact of 4.3 from a pounder like Lynch then you just don't understand the different ways the run is used to impact the result of the game.

Like I said, I expect Shady to run for a league average ypc and I don't expect he will turn into a ground and pound RB.

I believe he will continue to dance and try to bounce runs outside and it will lead to a lot of drives that both include a 12-15 yard run and a bunch of negative-to-3 yard runs that end with a long conversion attempt on 3rd down or a punt.

I would LOVE it if he proved me wrong and was one of the top 10 in both ypc and carries and put up 10-15 TD's and all those things but I don't think it's gonna happen and I have good reason not to.

Are you seriously claiming McCoy is league average? and saying you don't need hyperbole to make your argument? Give me a break.

I was responding to being told that everything about him was "well above league average" so I pointed out that his ypc was just league average.

Earlier in the thread I said I expect him to run at a league average ypc clip again.

The rest is you hyperbolizing what I said.

Edited by #BADOL

The Eagles coaching staff lost faith in McCoy in short yardage and goal line situations last season. He looked like a RB who didn't want to pay the physical price any longer.

He blamed fatigue for the obvious decline in explosiveness.

That's where the "declining" narrative comes from.

The fact that his ypc dropped and his carries are stacking up simply supported the Eagles opinion.

If you think 4.2 yards per carry from a contact dodger like McCoy is anything equivalent to the impact of 4.3 from a pounder like Lynch then you just don't understand the different ways the run is used to impact the result of the game.

Like I said, I expect Shady to run for a league average ypc and I don't expect he will turn into a ground and pound RB.

I believe he will continue to dance and try to bounce runs outside and it will lead to a lot of drives that both include a 12-15 yard run and a bunch of negative-to-3 yard runs that end with a long conversion attempt on 3rd down or a punt.

I would LOVE it if he proved me wrong and was one of the top 10 in both ypc and carries and put up 10-15 TD's and all those things but I don't think it's gonna happen and I have good reason not to.

I was responding to being told that everything about him was "well above league average" so I pointed out that his ypc was just league average.

Earlier in the thread I said I expect him to run at a league average ypc clip again.

The rest is you hyperbolizing what I said.

Chip Kelly is a different sort. McCoy complained about his methods of training, including a full practice the day before a game. Seems possible his legs were fatigued going into the game. We shall see. But the 4.2 is well within the range he's always averaged. There will be negative runs. That's part of his style. Barry Sanders was similar. However, like Sanders, I would say the positive runs outweigh the negative. Ryan isn't running full practices the day before a game, or other "unconvential" training methods. We will see how this impacts Shady's results. But, again, he is a proven commodity. His so called "off" year was still better than most.

For the record, he was slightly above league average, not exactly league average. His ypc average was 4.23, and the league average was 4.14. But your basic point is sound. Edited by dave mcbride