Tyler Dunne & His Source

So, it took 3 picks to get Sammy. Like I've said before. When the draft started we had those 3 picks. When it ended we had Sammy and not those three pick.

Considering that every draftee by definition requires at least one pick, the Bills used two extra picks. Does that sound better ?

Edited by Fan in Chicago

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering that every draftee by definition requires at least one pick, the Bills used two extra picks. Does that sound better ?

Not until you say Sammy wasn't worth it. That's really what they want people to admit and they'll never stop.

Not until you say Sammy wasn't worth it. That's really what they want people to admit and they'll never stop.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner. And any mention of how many draft picks it took to get Sammy must be accompanied by the phrase "mortgaged the future."

Oops, sorry. You're correct. Not sure where my head was at.

On another note, Dunne said the unnamed exec wasn't sure if EJ's problems were fixable.

I think it's funny many here are convinced that EJ's problems are - or aren't - fixable when even a pro talent scout is unsure.

You can fix anything, unless you can't.

Wait......where are we and how did we get here?

right That was like being shot out of a cannon!

Bills mortgaged their future spent all 16 picks and twenty from next years, some unborn children both male and female to be chosen at later date. AND Nathaniel Hacketts soul. Obviously.

Two additional picks.

Less because you're not factoring in the math of moving up. Maybe this will help you.

Bills got 4th overall pick - 1,800 points

Bills gave 9th overall (1,350), 2015 1st round pick (19) (875 points), and 2015 4th round pick (115) (64 points) - 2,289 points

We gave the equivalent of a 2nd round 41st overall pick to get Sammy Watkins (489 points)

We win!!!!

Edited by Triple Threat

Less because you're not factoring in the math of moving up. Maybe this will help you.

Bills got 4th overall pick - 1,800 points

Bills gave 9th overall (1,350), 2015 1st round pick (19) (875 points), and 2015 4th round pick (115) (64 points) - 2,289 points

We gave the equivalent of a 2nd round 41st overall pick to get Sammy Watkins (489 points)

We win!!!!

That is indeed a good way to look at it.

Except if we didn't make the trade, we would have lost six more games, which would have made the 2015 #1 (19) into a top 3 pick, where we would have got a franchise QB, so we lose. But then he wouldn't have anyone to throw to, and Rex and Percy and likely Clay wouldn't have come, so we lose more.

I'm so done with this team.

I have an exec I talk to as well. He didn't say much, other than EJ isn't a guy he would have had the patience to develop unless there was another vet ahead of him for a couple years. He said he felt he certainly had potential but he wouldn't have taken him in the 1st rd. No surprise there, but he said there weren't any immediate franchise QBs in that draft.

That exec must have been reading my posts

So, it took 3 picks to get Sammy. Like I've said before. When the draft started we had those 3 picks. When it ended we had Sammy and not those three pick.

They gave us a first round so two picks

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

He is still perpetuating the myth that the Bills gave up 3 picks to get Watkins. HE was their 1st round pick. They traded 2 first rounders and a fourth and got a 1st rounder back.They traded TWO picks for Watkins. End of story.

That's not the end of the story. It's a grammatically incorrect way to frame the trade positively.

The Bills absolutely did give up three picks to get Watkins.

They started out with three picks, two firsts and a 4th. When they finished, the three picks were gone and they ended up with Watkins and nothing else out of those picks. Considering "give up" only means relinquish, and that all three of those picks were relinquished, given up, vacated, surrendered, ceded, parted with, forked over, dropped, parted with and any other synonyms you can come picks up with ... yeah, they gave up three picks.

Now, it's true that for every draftee you have to give up one pick. So it would be fair to say they only gave up two extra picks. Bottom line, though, it's totally reasonable to say they gave up three picks, whereas the Giants only gave up one pick, their own, for Odell Beckham.

They gave us a first round so two picks

Ah, got it. So if you start with three apples and trade them for a much better apple, and then you exchange that really excellent apple for an orange, you only gave up two apples to get the orange. Makes total sense ... wait, no, it actually completely doesn't.

Edited by Thurman#1

He is still perpetuating the myth that the Bills gave up 3 picks to get Watkins. HE was their 1st round pick. They traded 2 first rounders and a fourth and got a 1st rounder back.They traded TWO picks for Watkins. End of story.

You will never convince some people of this.