Tyler Dunne & His Source

I've been reading all of Tyler Dunne's articles since joining BN.

He's a solid, old-fashioned sports writer who will sometimes provide a new slant or insight into a player or situation.

I'd much rather read him than Sully.

But I notice that in several articles he quotes an unnamed NFL personnel executive. I'm thinking it's the same guy over and over in all Dunne's articles. My guess: Tyler graduated to phone-call status with one of the guys in the personnel department in Cleveland and keeps drawing water from the same well.

I hope Tyler can move past this and get to know some folks at OBD.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been reading all of Tyler Dunne's articles since joining BN.

He's a solid, old-fashioned sports writer who will sometimes provide a new slant or insight into a player or situation.

I'd much rather read him than Sully.

But I notice that in several articles he quotes an unnamed NFL personnel executive. I'm thinking it's the same guy over and over in all Dunne's articles. My guess: Tyler graduated to phone-call status with one of the guys in the personnel department in Cleveland and keeps drawing water from the same well.

why Cleveland?

More likely someone in Green Bay, right? That's where he was working for quite a while before coming back to Buffalo.

Oops, sorry. You're correct. Not sure where my head was at.

On another note, Dunne said the unnamed exec wasn't sure if EJ's problems were fixable.

I think it's funny many here are convinced that EJ's problems are - or aren't - fixable when even a pro talent scout is unsure.

I think it's funny many here are convinced that EJ's problems are - or aren't - fixable when even a pro talent scout is unsure.

Until he shows progress on the field, nobody knows--including NFL talent evaluators. Still, I thought the comments about his throwing motion were spot on and it will be interesting to see how that shakes out in training camp...

I have an exec I talk to as well. He didn't say much, other than EJ isn't a guy he would have had the patience to develop unless there was another vet ahead of him for a couple years. He said he felt he certainly had potential but he wouldn't have taken him in the 1st rd. No surprise there, but he said there weren't any immediate franchise QBs in that draft.

Considering he's spent years cultivating relationships in GB and just moved to WNY a few months ago, it's to be expected.

I have an exec I talk to as well. He didn't say much, other than EJ isn't a guy he would have had the patience to develop unless there was another vet ahead of him for a couple years. He said he felt he certainly had potential but he wouldn't have taken him in the 1st rd. No surprise there, but he said there weren't any immediate franchise QBs in that draft.

Goes along with what most of us have said...the plan all along should have been to let EJ sit for two years behind a vet. Y1 was destroyed because Kevin "walking concussion" Kolb was the only vet brought in, and Y2 wound up being, in all likelihood, the best scenario for EJ's growth even though Marrone was a dickhead.

Goes along with what most of us have said...the plan all along should have been to let EJ sit for two years behind a vet. Y1 was destroyed because Kevin "walking concussion" Kolb was the only vet brought in, and Y2 wound up being, in all likelihood, the best scenario for EJ's growth even though Marrone was a dickhead.

yep, nothing earth shattering but thought I'd share. He's typically a guy of very few words and tends to not care about anyone he isn't dialed into for his own team's needs so I didn't expect much

He is still perpetuating the myth that the Bills gave up 3 picks to get Watkins. HE was their 1st round pick. They traded 2 first rounders and a fourth and got a 1st rounder back.They traded TWO picks for Watkins. End of story.

Yeah, but that ruins the "mortgage the future" phrase all of these reporters love to run with.

He is still perpetuating the myth that the Bills gave up 3 picks to get Watkins. HE was their 1st round pick. They traded 2 first rounders and a fourth and got a 1st rounder back.They traded TWO picks for Watkins. End of story.

Can't believe this is still being argued. The Bills gave Cleveland 3 picks to acquire the pick used on Sammy. So in essence, they used three picks to pick Sammy. Before drafting Sammy. They had the three picks. After drafting Sammy, they did not. Its pretty straightforward. Not sure why people don't get it.

Can't believe this is still being argued. The Bills gave Cleveland 3 picks to acquire the pick used on Sammy. So in essence, they used three picks to pick Sammy. Before drafting Sammy. They had the three picks. After drafting Sammy, they did not. Its pretty straightforward. Not sure why people don't get it.

it is just the semantics that trip people up. They didn't trade three picks. They traded two picks. When some people see "gave up 3", they think "traded 3." It's understandable. They traded 2. They used 3.

For some reason, I think it's Greg Gabriel. I understand why they do it but I hate unnamed sources. It's just some random person's opinion. Who even knows if they are good at their job? If it's Tes Thinpson or Ozzie Newsome that means something. But a guy who used to work for the Jags?

Either way, I like Dunne as a reporter. Much better than what we've had.

it is just the semantics that trip people up. They didn't trade three picks. They traded two picks. When some people see "gave up 3", they think "traded 3." It's understandable. They traded 2. They used 3.

Not true. They traded 3 picks to acquire 1 pick. They used that 1 pick on Sammy.

"Gave up" and "Traded" are the same exact thing.

People argue that Sammy cost only the pick used to pick him. Draft pick #4 in the first round. And they refuse to acknowledge the true cost of acquiring that pick.

It really is a silly argument.

It's just sloppy. The net cost to the Bills for drafting Sammy was 2 picks. Traded 3 away, got 1 in return. Used that pick to draft him.

Not true. They traded 3 picks to acquire 1 pick. They used that 1 pick on Sammy.

"Gave up" and "Traded" are the same exact thing.

People argue that Sammy cost only the pick used to pick him. Draft pick #4 in the first round. And they refuse to acknowledge the true cost of acquiring that pick.

It really is a silly argument.

not really silly, IMO. The swap of 1st rounders, since they got a higher pick than the one they traded, isn't typically looked at as "giving up" the pick. I'm not into arguing, so usually don't bother, but I can see why some people look at it differently than you do.

It's just sloppy. The net cost to the Bills for drafting Sammy was 2 picks. Traded 3 away, got 1 in return. Used that pick to draft him.

So, it took 3 picks to get Sammy. Like I've said before. When the draft started we had those 3 picks. When it ended we had Sammy and not those three pick.