HOF won't allow Junior Seau's family to speak at induction

Rule or not, the Pro Football Hall of Fame should allow Seau's family to speak at the Hall of Fame. At the very least, interview them before the induction ceremony and put their comments into Seau's video.

I believe the story said the daughter was interviewed for it

Hopefully they reconsider. My dad passed earlier this year and less than 10 minutes ago got word a friends dad had passed unexpectedly. Neither were NFL HOF material, but if they were, I'd want them to be represented by family.

To you , they are probably HoF material and you would put the best light upon their lives if you had the chance to speak. I am quite sure.

condolences dear Sir

Any business would be foolish to give a microphone to someone that is suing them.

It also could have issues with how do you decide who can and can't speak if it's not the players selection. Do you allow everyone? Only one person? Wife? Kids? What about estranged biological family that might not speak fondly?

I'm assuming the hof is simply going with a blanket rule in order to prevent the sometimes awkward case by case

The NFL would be foolish to allow her to speak. The family has a lawsuit against the NFL, and no matter what she says, there would be no way to stop her from airing accusations.

Would any business owners here provide a massive public platform, for someone with an active lawsuit against your business? Nope.

Any business would be foolish to give a microphone to someone that is suing them.

Sorry, I didn't see this.

It's ridiculous to think they should.

Edited by HoF Watkins

The NFL would be foolish to allow her to speak. The family has a lawsuit against the NFL, and no matter what she says, there would be no way to stop her from airing accusations.

Would any business owners here provide a massive public platform, for someone with an active lawsuit against your business? Nope.

No, but tell me another business that immortalizes and honors the person that has the active lawsuit against the company? It is a completely unique situation.

I don't necessarily disagree at all I am just saying there aren't really good comps on this one.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

This is sad, and probably wrong, but I'd hate to be inducted and have this steal all the attention from one of the most important days of my life. I'm not sticking up for the NFL or the decision (I don't want to hear about it!), but I'm pleased for those going in this year. So, maybe a silver lining, even if unintended.

You don't have to worry, the HoF isn't run by the NFL. Same goes for everyone else complaining...

Edited by Beef Jerky

I honestly think there is and was more to it then simply CTE stuff.

A man at the top of the mountain, able to excel in his field left at the foothills no longer able to compete. That will do a lot to someone.

No, but tell me another business that immortalizes and honors the person that has the active lawsuit against the company? It is a completely unique situation.

I don't necessarily disagree at all I am just saying there aren't really good comps on this one.

Right, you don't disagree, you just wanted to let me know. Thanks.

Right, you don't disagree, you just wanted to let me know. Thanks.

If you are going to go out of your way to be a wiseass at least respond to the comment. You asked if any business would give someone that forum. I asked you to give another business where the situation would arise. They don't honor and immortalized formerly great accountants on national TV. If one of these accountants died after suffering mental damage on the job their family doesn't have the public forum to discuss the dangers of accounting.

So to the original point, while it may be a good idea to censor his family there aren't many other situations like this.

It also could have issues with how do you decide who can and can't speak if it's not the players selection. Do you allow everyone? Only one person? Wife? Kids? What about estranged biological family that might not speak fondly?

I'm assuming the hof is simply going with a blanket rule in order to prevent the sometimes awkward case by case

One person picked by the family given the podium for 5 minutes. If they're worried about time record it.

They are using a sad excuse as the whole event is too long. With a previous company, when you win President's Club in sales or leadership you're allowed a short speech. Of course like the HOF, they became too long, and mgmt had to place strict time limits on their speeches. The daughter should be allowed a 3 minute speech, and so what if she brings something up about CTE.

I'm sure she would have focused on his life, passion, and love of her and that would have been fine with me. If she made a statement on CTE, so what?

I dont thinks its that simple.

The Man is being awarded the highest honor. Someone should be there to accept it since Seau cannot. sadly.

It right and its proper etiquette.

and its honorable.

lawsuit has nothing to do with this award

If you are going to go out of your way to be a wiseass at least respond to the comment. You asked if any business would give someone that forum. I asked you to give another business where the situation would arise. They don't honor and immortalized formerly great accountants on national TV. If one of these accountants died after suffering mental damage on the job their family doesn't have the public forum to discuss the dangers of accounting.

So to the original point, while it may be a good idea to censor his family there aren't many other situations like this.

OK. You are right, there isn't a nice, clean comparison...but so what? It is so obvious that it would be foolish for the NFL to allow her to speak, that I can't believe anyone here, would not understand why they want nothing to do with her having a huge audience to address. It doesn't need a neat comparison...it's simple enough to understand without one.

Edited by HoF Watkins

He was a beloved player, teammate, friend and family member. The HOF induction is pretty unique. I get not wanting to have to sit on the dump button and minimize the potential damage. Do you draw a curtain too? Once she starts, you're in for the ride. I also get that if you are immortalizing him, someone from his camp should be allowed to speak. I've vacillated, but there's zero question that it's a unique situation. As you say... "no comps".